Flatulence

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Too funny!
Not for nothing, one of our best friends that we spend a lot of time with is very "free". He'd die if he farted in a store like that or anything, but when he's at home or we're camping around the campfire in his space, he doesn't care.
We go on an adults-only trip every year with them. I am one of the youngest in the group at 37. The rest of the group is between me and 45.
We go to a campground that is notorious for young partiers to show up late Friday night and its pretty standard fare that at some point during the weekend, some of them will end up "hanging" with us.
A couple years ago, sitting around the campfire with our new-found teenage friends, our buddy let one rip.
One of the boys that were visiting, and who had been there for HOURS having the best time, stood up and proclaimed "That's f___ing rude, man!" and left! lol
So anytime we're sitting around a campfire with him and he does what he does, someone will shout "That's flippin' rude, man!" (editted for children's ears! lol)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Okay I am sitting here giggling... Who knew?! I try very very hard to keep them where they belong till I can make it to a bathroom. But I'm human. I DO know how to say... "EXCUSE ME!"

husband has a name for himself and BFF when they have these issues. We know if we hear them, they apoligize and we're fine - but then there are the SBD's. Silent But Deadly. We evacuate.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Step, this same guy's wife sticks her nose in her shirt when the SBD's hit.

He says she's smelling her b***ies. lol

KTMom91

Hubby's former boss used to announce the frogs, too. It got so bad with Hubby that I actually used Babel fish to say "I don't like your frogs" in three languages. He still gets irritated with me when he's trying to stealth launch and I rattle off one of my foreign language phrases.

Marguerite

We were taught to say, "Excuse me!"

However, there is always that tendency to pretend you haven't noticed, or hope nobody else notices. Or if you're in a crowded place, to hope that people won't know who to blame.

Yes, there are changes as people get older, for all sorts of reasons. husband was reading somewhere that if you have sleep apnoea, you're going to produce a great deal more flatulence than otherwise; however, it will be noisy, but non-toxic. For other people, the "silent but deadly" form is often produced from diet, especially plants from the onion family which contain sulfur compounds that can really throttle those within nose range.
Some people as they get older, have more problems digesting those sulfur compounds. Also, they may have more digestion issues in general. Another problem you get when you get older, is a weakening of control in the nether regions when it comes to flatulence. Being able to "hold it in" for short periods of time becomes a lot more difficult. Some of you may recall problems with controlling your flatulence immediately after childbirth, for example. it comes down to pelvic floor, among other things.

So it could be the general ageing population of the western world (and people too embarrassed to own up, or too deaf) that is accelerating the relaxation of formerly rigid social rules on this.

I remember a lovely line from the movie "10", a scene when Dudley Moore's character is talking to the minister who officiated at Bo Derek's character's wedding. The elderly housekeeper comes into the room and at one point in her arthritic walk, breaks wind. The dog immediately leaps up and rushes out of the room, yelping. The minister explains, "The housekeeper is getting on in years but we try to cover for her. When she breaks wind, we beat the dog."

On the subject of eccentric dogs, difficult child 1's best friend had a small dog that was jealous of its own tail. I saw it for myself - really freaky. Whenever the dog was eating (or sometimes being patted) it would catch a glimpse of its own tail and growl warningly at it. Sometimes the dog would leave off eating (or being patted) and attack the tail for insubordination (or whatever). Totally bizarre. Can you picture it? Dog growling at perceived enemy while watching it out of the corner of its eye, ready to attack at the first sign of threat. Totally hilarious. I'd have loved to see it when THAT dog broke wind!

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
i had a male friend many years ago. He let one fly and said, "Damned barking spiders!!" All I did was LM(rear end) O. We were all pretty stoned at the time and it was just funny at that point.

Just a memory from my long ago and very difficult child youth.