Flourescent bulbs - proper disposal?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Thats an interesting article. I only use these kind of bulbs (cept for the odd lamp where the shade goes over the bulb itself, or in the bathrooms where I have the bar of lights above the mirror - I am always replacing those darn things at 5.00 or so a pop. In all the years I have been using them the new bulbs, going on 5 years, I maybe have replaced a total of three. And my electric bill has gone down over 25.00 a month since I have been using them. But I was not aware of the mercury problem. I wouldn't mind paying a crv like I do on bottles and cans and taking them to a recycling center - am sure they will come up with some sort of recycling idea.

When I read the article, I had to go listen to see if I could hear the bulbs make a noise LOL and I didn' hear a thing. As far as it taking a while to go to full blown light, thats fine with me. I find my self waundering around the house in the middle of the night, and the slow warm up is kinder to my eyes.

The only thing I don't like is they look sorta funky in ceiling fan lights. They are trying to pass a law here that these new bulbs are the only ones that can be sold, but haven't had much success in getting support for it.

Marcie

gcvmom

Here we go again!
They can also fade photographs and artwork -- so I'm careful where they are placed in our house. If you've ever worked in an office where they don't change the decor for years, you'll see how much the flourescent lights fade images.

Our town has a household hazardous waste disposal center where we drop off things like flourescent bulbs, batteries, electronic equipment, old nail polish, paint, household chemicals, fertilizers, etc. They supposedly get them to the right places for safe handling and recylcing.

P.S. Hey Marcie, did you know you're just over the hills from me? I live south of you in YL.