Flu shot pain

wakeupcall

OK, yall......I'm not a real big one on flu shots, but I'm not as young as I used to be. husband is a human resources manager, set up flu shots at his plant, free to employees and their spouses. OK, so I went and got one on Wed. afternoon. NOW, no kiddin', I can hardly lift my arm. It started hurting late Wed. and hasn't let up. It hurts so bad I could almost wear it in a sling. It's so painful, I can hardly type. Thank goodness I had it done in my left arm, or I'd be severely handicapped (I'm VERY right-handed). WHAT can I do to make it feel better? All I've done so far is take Tylenol and that's not helping much. What could have caused this kind of pain?

K

Kjs

I get a flu shot every year, usually is sore, but not like you are describing. Is it muscle pain around the shot area? or is it your entire arm? Hope it doesn't spread down your arm.

wakeupcall

It's the whole top half of my arm. I'm not a wus, the pain is BAD! I hate going to the doctor because my arm hurts....kinda negates the free shot! AND I just went for a complete physical, so I'm not too keen on going again. I wonder if I should use heat or ice compacts?

K

Kjs

difficult child got a meningitis vacine and a tetnus a few weeks ago. they told him to use ice.

smallworld

Motrin, Advil and Aleve are more effective than Tylenol because they help with inflammation. Ice should also help. The reason it hurts so much is because the vaccine is injected right into the muscle. If the pain doesn't subside, you should at least call your doctor.

K

Kjs

I know it is painful, but difficult child was told even if it is painful he needs to move his arm as much as possible. The medication is injected into the muscle and will stay there for a while causing soreness unless he moves his arm around. That helps spread the medication from one concentrated area.

What about massaging the sore area to try to spread out the medication?

wakeupcall

Thanks, kjs......I'll try anything. I just let the shower beat on it and I'm leaving here as soon as I can get dressed to get some Motrin. THEN I'll have husband massage it for awhile.

Nancy

Wow I've gotten the flu shot every year for the last 15 and never had a reaction like that. Hope it feels better soon.

Nancy

tiredmommy

My cousin had a horrible experience a few years back where the shot actually struck a nerve. See your doctor if it isn't mostly better by the end of the weekend. They gave her something for the pain and had her get pt for a few weeks. She was totally fine after that.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hitting a nerve is not that uncommon. I hope this is not what it is.Letting the shower loosen it and then massaging the muscle sound like a good short term plan. HOpe it gets better!

Susie

ps. Liberal application of chocolate to the tongue is also a recommended course of treatment! :nurse:

wakeupcall

I already tried the chocolate.....;>)

Really, I let the shower beat it, then took THREE Advil. That has helped a little. I think it hurt extra badly when I got up because of inactivity all night. Still....it hurts and will probably keep me from ever getting another flu shot. Arg....

Kathy813

Staff member
Pamela,

Like Nancy, I've gotten the flu shot every year for the past 10+ years and never had any reaction at all.

I think you should break down and go to the doctor.

~Kathy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I've had some painful flu shots and some not so much. Ice and Advil usually do the trick and within a couple of days I'm fine.

If it's not better within 2 days of getting the shot, call you DR. Hope it feels better already.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I just got a DTAP, which is the adult booster for the diptheria, tetanus, and whooping cough vaccines that we've found to "wear off" after several years.

The little hand out they give you warns of the potential for this type of arm pain in a percentage of recipients.

Flu shots it seems to depend year to year on how sore they make me. I've run from just a sore muscle from the injection to running a high fever the day after.

The OPs are correct on "move it or lose it". Ibuprofen or Aleve are best for this sort of pain (consult pharmacist if you are taking rx medications for arthritis, etc.) and alternating heat and ice will take the swelling down.