Focaline: Pros vs Cons

jessica_1

My six year old is starting ADHD medications for the very first time. Forcaline at 10 mg is what has been prescribed for him. Any and ALL feedback is welcome.

Thank you!

DDD

Sorry. I have experience with Ritalin in multiple forms, Concerta and Vyvance. We've never used Focalin. I understand your anxiety as it is hard for all of us to begin medications. Just remember that all stimulant medications are quick in/quick out which means that "should" you have a problem reaction the medications can be stopped cold turkey with-o fear of side effects. Hugs and best wishes. DDD

InsaneCdn

I didn't know what Focalin was, so I looked it up: Focalin (dexmethylphenidate)
Hmmm... Ritalin and company are: methylphenidate

In other words... Focalin is a modified version of the same chemical composition that is in Ritalin, Concerta and so on.
Modified means it may have slightly different side effects, time window, etc.

I'm more familiar with Methylphenidate, including having used it myself.

Methylphenidate - at least in our area - is the most common initial medication tried for ADHD. It's been around for a LONG time. Unless you get a really atypical reaction, most side effects are mild, and go away when the drug is discontinued... including appetite suppression.

The fast-acting form has about a 4-hour window (in real life, somewhere between 3 and 5 hours... it is never as accurate or scientific as the scientists want to believe, when it comes to "effect"... they can prove how many hours before the medication is physically out of your body, but not how long it is effective for)

Our kids started on this medication at 5 and 6... and the results were and still are obvious.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 1 has used Focalin for yeeeeaars. We actually use it in the morning first thing because the Daytran patch he wears all day takes about 2 hours to really kick in completely. So about an hour after he takes the Focalin, he puts the patch on, then by the time the patch is working, the Focalin is fading out of his system.

Other than the appetite issue, it's been a great medication for him. And he's been taking stimulants since he was 5 1/2, which was 12 years ago. :)