Food Allergy Alert Idea-Need Opinions

AllStressedOut

As many of you know, my youngest difficult child has developed an allergy to something in common foods. He goes to the allergist Monday and we hope to have a more difinitive answer then. Also, as many of you know, my youngest difficult child is a PRO at sneeking food he isn't supposed to have. Only to end up swollen, with hives and diarrhea. As much as we explain this is what happens, that if he swells too much too fast, he could die, that if he continues to sneek foods we have to keep him on his strict diet because we can't figure out the food allergy etc., he still sneeks food.

At school parents can come have lunch with their kid and their kid can have my kid come sit with them. Often times (I use to be guilty of this too) parents will want to give my kid some food or treat that they brought for their kid. Well, my son will eat it gladly. It is a rule in our SD that no parent give food to any child but their own, but it still happens.

So here is my idea. I want to make a lanyard with a badge that has a bright colored paper in it stating FOOD ALLERGY. Than on the back again have it say FOOD ALLERGY and have it say DO NOT give this child food, he has a food allergy to an ingredient in many common foods. I was thinking I'd have him only wear it during lunch, but that allows for it to get lost in the shuffle. So I'm thinking I want him to wear it all day and come home with it.

I mentioned to husband offering to make one for every kid in the school that has an allergy, but he reminded me the whole point behind 504 is that our son has special needs. So even though others may not be wearing one, its okay if our son is.

I want opinions as far as how this singles out my son. If it keeps him safe, I think I'm okay with this aspect. What is your opinion?

DammitJanet

Well..he could wear a medic alert type thing...so I dont see this as all that different.

He does need to be tested to find out exactly what he is allergic to so that he can learn to manage this himself. That will help immensely. Until then if a tag helps or having a teacher warn others...well it will have to be done.

AllStressedOut

He goes in Monday for testing. I've never been to an allergist, so I'm not sure how long it takes to get results. Does anyone else know?

tiredmommy

You really need him at a supervised allergy table. The lunch line staff and the lunch room aide needs a copy of his picture so they know which kid to watch. And you need your doctor to put it in writing and prescribe an epipen so these policies go into effect immediately.

AllStressedOut

The allergist doctor or his regular doctor? I guess it doesn't matter if it came from a doctor, right? Is an allergist a real doctor? See, I'm at a total loss. The problem with him being at an allergy table is he likes peanut butter sandwiches. I want the kid to bulk up because he is so small, so I'd prefer to send something I know he will eat. Today I sent chicken and mustard on wheat because I have no idea if he is allergic to dairy yet. We were going to start introducing dairy this weekend, but he snuck forbidden foods, so we had to wait. I'm not sure he'll eat the chicken and mustard. He loves mustard, but he doesn't usually ask for any sandwich besides PB.

tiredmommy

Yes, an allergist is a doctor, many also are trained in immunology. But your family doctor or pediatrician could write a script for the school & epipen in a pinch.
My Duckie (ironically) has never been allergic to peanuts. Some other options: cheese sandwich, a slice of pizza, burrito, jelly sandwich (use a special jar so no pb accidentally travels to school), tuna, ham, pepperoni & cheese slices, chili or soup in a thermos cup, hard boiled egg. Don't forget about veggies & dip, dried or fresh fruit, cream cheese on a bagel, yogurt or apples & caramel sauce. There are literally hundreds of options for your child to eat that don't contain peanuts.

AllStressedOut

Until we get him to the allergist, its a sandwich on wheat bread, pickles and apples. I'm afraid to introduce extras that haven't been on his diet in the last year. He's had reactions to too many different foods and I don't know what it is in them that causes the problem. He hasn't had any refined sugar, with the exception of Spring Break and his Birthday celebrations (unless he snuck it) in more than a year. All of those times he had reactions. He snuck some items with sweeteners in them too and again, he had reactions. So I have no idea what it is until the allergist tells me.

On top of him being allergic to something unknown, he is an extremely picky eater when it comes to typical lunch foods. He doesn't like ham/chicken/turkey with cheese at all. He doesn't like veggies. There is a long list of foods he would prefer to never eat again if he could avoid it. And he isn't one of those kids who will eat anything if he gets hungry enough. Yes, he'd eat cake that was old and nasty, but if it were a perfectly good ham and cheese sandwich, he'd rather starve.

Josie

I think with his allergies, he needs to be closely supervised. He needs to be sitting with the teacher or a lunchroom aide or at the allergy table. Even when you know what his allergies are, since he isn't compliant, he will need to be supervised.

Even if he has a badge, he might just take it off if he finds it too restricting.

One day, I was at lunch with easy child, and her friends were handling her food while they were eating pizza. So she was getting trace amounts of wheat on her food. Luckily, she doesn't have to worry about swelling from her allergies. I talked to her friends and the teacher talked to the class about not touching her food. For a child with a more serious allergy, I would want closer supervision for this reason alone.

AllStressedOut

Is this something to request in the 504? I feel like I'm being extremely difficult in my requests. I know they only have so many teachers on duty during lunch, but this kid is a true pro at sneaking foods.

tiredmommy

ASO- Don't worry about how many teachers or aides there are. Believe me when I say that the school administration would much rather be stretched a little thin at lunch time than have a student become seriously ill. Manpower is their issue, while ensuring your son's safety is yours. Yep, get a 504 for this sort of thing, but an IEP for academic or behavior issues.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My SO has an alergic reaction to certain type of medications - so we made a little card which lists them, and on it is a list of medications/doses he takes. We carry them around like business cards, handing them out to new docs, paramedics. Maybe you can do the same once you find out what he is alergic to, and make sure that the teacher, cafeteria workers have one. If you do get the doctor to rx a epipen, make sure you have two, one for home and one for the school nurse.

I can imagine at 7 its a real hard call to pass up a piece of cake, difficult child or not. I went thru a phase with my difficult child who could not tolerate chocolate (and sugar, but chocolate was the worst) - it was immediate bouncing off the wall time. It was almost like a high to him, he stole chocolate, spent his lunch money before school on chocolate and sugar stuff- he knew he couldn't have it, but it didn't matter. I could tell from walking in the door, after having to leave the office and fly down the freeway home because he was out of control, that he had chocolate. And sure enough, with a little hunting, would find those wrappers. That ssdd went on for a few YEARS -no amount of punishment would work to stop him. I tried giving his lunch money to the cafeteria so he didn't have any to buy the stuff, but he still got ahold of it via his friends. Now its really rare for him to even eat chocolate - he just doesn't like it, and a few spoons of sugar in his coffee doesn't do a thing.

Maybe once you find out what he is allergic to, the doctor can sit him down and explain why he cannot eat certain stuff to get you off the hook as the mean mom. And then again, one whack with an epipen may drive the point home.

Good luck with this problem - I know how frustrating it can be

Marcie

Star*

call 911........call 911
I LOVE your idea of making his school I.D. background a different color that will be EASILY recognizable to anyone (sneaking snack parent) or teacher. The color of the background on his ID could be BLUE...the chart on the wall would let anyone know BLUE IS FOOD ALLERGY. I think you have really struck on something brilliant! This could work well for kids who are prone to seizures...theirs could be pink and so on. It's just a quicker way for someone to get help.

On allergies. I HAD severe allergies all my childhood. I was the original idea behind boy in a plastic bubble. Out of 400 allergens I tested highly allergic to 380+. I took shots every day for years, I had a room full of plastic covered and bare furniture. Our parents removed the carpet in the house, and even Crest toothpaste caused my feet to break out in golf ball sized lumps. (yeah I know I'm a little oddball) but....today I'm able to breathe, have a cat, pet a dog....go outside. Allergies will make you very irritable. I was a peach I tell ya. And that was without many food allergies.

Today? I still carry a card in my wallet because the bracelet says SEE CARD IN WALLET. 1st on my list?

I am allergic to : Stupid people. Then all my allergies. I am allergic to bee stings, but as a little oddball and one in a million I'm allergic to epinephrine. It's extremely rare. Most people are allergic to the preservatives (sulfa) that are in the epi to keep it fresh. So don't worry about the epi pen.

Also keep in mind...shampoo's, hair sprays, perfumes, cigarettes or houses that smoke, Oris root is in practically EVERYTHING. Also with dairy, he can be lactose intolerant, but not allergic. You can usually find soy milk and cheese products to replace those things.

Good luck...the test is painful and you have to be able to sit still long enough for the pricked area to bump up and itch. Call ahead and ask if there is anything he can take before hand to help calm him if you are having that type of testing done.

I feel for your son.

Hugs

AllStressedOut

I think the test sounds grand. Like payback for all the hel* he puts everyone through. Can we take two? I'm just teasing, but hey, a little funny never hurt anyone, right? I thought that might be the type of test they'd do. I warned youngest easy child about her shot and she had the worst tantrum ever, so I'm not sure I'll be warning difficult child about it at all. Maybe I should take valium before hand. Can you drive on that stuff?

AllStressedOut

He hasn't had any since last Friday. So I'll be sure not to give him any this week. Thanks for letting me know. The allergist didn't say anything about it!

Steely

I am confused, do all the kids wear school ID badges, and his would just be a different color? Or would he be the only one with one on?

AllStressedOut

He would be the only one. You never know, they may like the idea and pass it along to other kids with food allergies. But for now, he'd be the only one.

by the way, mentioned to husband about the anti-histamines and he said "Oh yeah, they told me that. I forgot to tell you." Umm, hello, duh, I'm the one who deals with him all day, this would have been good to know!

Oh and the allergist said its not a prick test with needles, its like a large lego that they push into the skin. Anyone have experience with this?

Star*

call 911........call 911
answer #1.) Yes, you can drive on that stuff, you can fly on it too and what a RIDE maaaaaaaan. Seriously....yes.

answer #2.) I was laid on my face and a little razor blade type thing pricked 400 holes in my back and down the backs of my arms. The "serum or allergen is placed in the cut and then you wait for it to itch and burn. The spots that raise and itch are allergic to's. The ones that dont - aren't.

From there your life as a parent (according to my Mom) gets so much fun you'd rather pull your teeth out with plyers than have to deal with watching a child that has allergies.

- I was SO much fun.

Hugs
Star

Steely

For what it is worth.....I would have worried about my difficult child being the only one with a colored tag on.....because it would have been a target for him getting teased or singled out.........which would have escalated his aggression. Not sure if your son is like this or not.......but just thought I would share.

Good luck with the test!

tiredmommy

That sounds like Duckie's last round of testing, a scratch test. It's equivalent to having a fingernail dug into the skin just hard enough for you to feel it. Duckie tolerated it well, especially after the p&n testing where the allergen was put into the subcutaneous layers of her skin with a needle. The only part about the scratch test that bothered her was the intense itching from those allergens that she was highly reactive to.