Food- Japanese soup

klmno

Food seems to be a big topic for the day- on the board and at our house! difficult child is doing well- he's making his cheese/potato casserole and the ham is in the oven. I'll start green vegies a little later and I've got fruit cleaned up for munching. So, between that and reading the posts about food, it's making me crave something I wish I knew how to make....

The Japanese soup that is typically served at the hibachi tables (although not cooked hibachi style) and it is primarily a broth with scallions and mushrooms in it. I don't know the name of it and have no clue how to make it. Does anyone else know?

KTMom91

It's called Miso soup. It has the chunk of tofu in the bottom. I think it's a vegetable broth.

Let me know if you find a good recipe!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
From http://www.mediterrasian.com
text_miso_soup.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This nourishing Japanese soup takes only minutes to prepare and can be served for breakfast, lunch, or as part of a main meal. Miso, fermented soy bean paste, adds a rich flavor and is highly valued in Japan for its health-giving properties. [/FONT]
ingredients.gif
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 cups dashi stock [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 thinly sliced fresh mushrooms[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](shiitake or white button)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1½ tablespoons miso paste[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 tablespoon Japanese soy sauce [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1½ oz (45g) silken tofu—cut into cubes[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]½ scallion—thinly sliced on the diagonal[/FONT]
method.gif

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BRING the stock to a gentle boil in a saucepan, add the mushrooms and simmer for 3 minutes. MIX together the miso and soy sauce in a small bowl, then add to the hot dashi stock. ADD the tofu. HEAT the soup and, just before it comes to the boil, remove from the heat. POUR the soup into bowls and garnish with the sliced scallions on top to serve. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Variations:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] you can add various other ingredients to make a more substantial soup, such as cooked shrimp, snow pea sprouts, cooked rice noodles, or paper-thin slices of fresh ginger.[/FONT]

Kurisumasu omedetou! クリスマスおめでとう

klmno

Thank you!! I don't think I've ever seen tofu or anything in there except mushrooms and scallions-do they normally cook it in the soup but not serve it? Anyway- I've really been wanting some but can't afford the restaraunt right now!!