Food odors

Nomad

Staff member
My husband and I are dieting.

We have both cut down on carbs.

Husband now wants bacon.

It smells up the house when cooking and for an hour or two afterwards. I told him he can only have it now and then due to this. Like every three or four weeks. He agreed. I still am not thrilled.

I open a few windows and this helps ever so slightly.

I suppose the current arrangement is pretty good.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make this better? Just can’t stand the lingering smell of bacon

Thanks.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My husband and I are dieting.

We have both cut down on carbs.

Husband now wants bacon.

It smells up the house when cooking and for an hour or two afterwards. I told him he can only have it now and then due to this. Like every three or four weeks. He agreed. I still am not thrilled.

I open a few windows and this helps ever so slightly.

I suppose the current arrangement is pretty good.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips to make this better? Just can’t stand the lingering smell of bacon

Thanks.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Nomad, I actually microawave bacon. If you buy pre-packaged bacon, the instructions for microwaving it should be on the packaging.

The smell doesn't linger, but you will have to clean your microwave, which will smell.

My husband used to bake it on a jelly roll pan in the oven, but he was a cook, and handling a jelly roll pan full of hot grease used to give me the willies.

In general, the reason pan-frying stinks up the house is because grease gets everywhere. Anything, baking, broiling, or microwaving, that prevents atomized bacon fat from flying all over the place, will keep down the odor.

wisernow

wisernow
I make my bacon on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper in the oven at 350. Some slight smell but not the same as on the cooktop. Lighting a candle often makes smells go away as does putting out a bowl of vinegar on the counter.

Pink Elephant

Above the stove is an overhead exhaust dome. I use it almost always when cooking, no matter what it is that I'm cooking, because I hate food odours so bad, especially bacon.

ksm

Maybe he coukd cook several pounds, put it in ziplock bags and freeze. Then just take out some when he wants bacon...or a BLT. We do turkey bacon in the microwave. And I will save a few extra slices in the fridge for a day or two