Food Pairings - just for fun

Lothlorien

I'm making myself a grilled cheese sandwich and of course I had to make Campbell's Tomato soup with it.

I have to have milk with chocolate cake.

If the kids aren't around and we have chocolate ice cream, I like to put a little Amaretto over it.

What are some things you just can't eat without the other?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Good topic!!!

Let's see. I do the same with the cake and milk, and grilled cheese and tomato soup...

BBQ chicken and corn.

Braunschweiger and cheddar on Ritz-type crackers.

husband swears by chili and a peanut butter sandwich. My take is - EWW.

Lothlorien

Okay....peanut butter with chili or pickles???:faint:

I never, in my wildest dreams, would have expected that!

We do apples and peanut butter or bananas with peanut butter.

However, Mighty Mouse once insisted on having a peanut butter and pepperoni sandwich....He swore he liked it.....YUCK

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Grilled cheese with grape jelly on top.

Swiss steak with rice

Liver and onions

I love grilled steak with baked onions and a baked potato

Chicken tenders and sweet potatoes.

Collard greens and cornbread

oreos and milk

mstang67chic

Going Green
Grilled cheese with jelly??? :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

My grandma eats peanutbutter and mayo sandwiches too. Blech.

In my family it's always potato soup (My grandma's recipe of course) and peanut butter sandwiches. Always. Our family recipe doesn't have meat in it so there is no risk of an ick factor. Actually I think the tradition started when Grandma couldn't afford meat for meals and would make potato soup instead. The peanut butter was probably for protien. It sounds odd but it really is a good combination....I'll post the potato soup recipe if anyone wants it.

I usually have to have applesauce when I have pork. Pork chops, pork steak....must have my applesauce! LOL

Fried fish and fried potatoes.

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Cookies and milk for me too. A good one is the Keebler fudge grahams. Bite of opposite diagnal corners, dip one corner in your milk and svck the milk through the other corner, then eat. Yum!

Soup beans and corn bread. (Think I'll fix that tonight!)

Liver and onions for me too....but it has to be fresh liver and home made. I can't stand restaurant liver.

Pizza and Pepsi.

One other when I eat out....if we go to Applebees and I get a steak, I have to have a small Ceasar salad. Something about their steak and the Ceasar dressing...yummmmmmmmm!!!

mstang67chic

Going Green
Oh and any peanut butter sandwich HAS to be made a certain way. LOL You put the peanut butter on first, then the butter. It also helps keep the pb from sticking to the roof of your mouth so much. I do this when I make pj&J's too.

DammitJanet

Grilled cheese and grape jelly is GOOOD!!!!

Try baby lima's, ham pieces and cornbread!

We make potato soup with bacon in it. Yummy. Cory learned to make it when he was in wilderness camp...lol.

klmno

Mashed potatoes and rolls with the liver & onions- or any meat served with gravy

Fried fish must be accompanied by fried potatoes or mac & cheese

Baked fish gets pasta in sudried tomatoe alfredo sauce and fresh spinach, and zucchini (now that Witz told me a good way to fix it)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Grilled cheese and applesauce.

Heck, if I'm by myself, I'll eat applesauce like most people eat ketchup.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Fried catfish and green beans cooked with pork fat!!!

Fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

Collard greens and baking-powder biscuits.

Wow Loth great topic now I am hungry!!!

Fruitcake and eggnog...

muttmeister

I'm still thinking about the food pairings but the best peanut butter sandwichs are peanut butter and sweet pickle; preferably my homemade lime pickles.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Yum.
I love grilled cheese and soup.
Rye toast with real butter.
Meat loaf and mashed potatoes.
Pork roast, mashed potatoes, bavarian green beans and apple sauce.
Ham and scalloped potatoes.
Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream.

M

ML

vanilla ice cream and brownies
Chili and cornbread. I had it for dinner. I put the chili on top of the cornbread and cheese on top of that. Yum!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My mouth is watering reading this thread.

You guys have hit most of my favorite pairings.

Here's a new one... french fries with tartar sauce...preferably using dill pickles

Janet, you said "baked onions." What's your recipe?

Suz