FOOD

difficult child always gets hungry late like at bedtime should i let him eat or make him wait sometimes he's eaten sometimes he's refused or let other things come first any ideas

SRL

I let them eat when their bodies are telling them they're hungry, especially if they're going through a rapid growth stage.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
K does this... I let her. This is a basket C for us. I give her some Cottage Cheese or an apple, bowl of cereal... I try to keep it not too heavy. Who wants a battle at night about food???

Her medications mess with her eating.

i told him to wait it's only been about 15 minutes and i just went to check on him and he mentioned the sandwich so i fixed him one and now he's eating

Sara PA

He's taking Adderall, of course he doesn't get hungry until late at night when the drugs wear off. Amphetamines were the diet pills of the 60's, they kill the appetite. However, many people who took them found they ate as many calories when the drug wore off as they didn't eat during the day.

Let him eat. Try to give him substantial, nourishing food.

Marguerite

We let our kids eat when they're hungry. I would do things like cook extra sausages or meat patties, or maybe some roast meat, and keep it all in the fridge with fresh fruit and vegetables. The kids know they can help themselves (just let me know if they eat the last of something). That way I know they are eating healthy nourishing food.

Our rule is - clean your teeth before you go to bed. If you want to eat after you've cleaned your teeth that's OK, but you will need to clean your teeth again.

I do think a lot of this is the stims.

difficult child 3 was very late taking his medications on Tuesday (because I was so sleepy, after not having got to bed until 4 am). He kept bugging me for food, was constantly eating. He ate a big bowl of muesli and was still ravenous. I gave him a plate of roast lamb and then I cooked several big bowls of popcorn for him, he was snacking all morning.

I've found if they go to bed hungry, they get up earlier and are more cranky too. I try to keep them fed as much as possible, to make my life more pleasant. And they're still skinny.

Marg

My difficult child does the same thing. It's the medications. I struggle to get him to eat anything during the day. Every night about 30 minutes before bedtime I ask him if he wants anything else to eat (he ofter beats me to the punch there). Mine wakes up starving. He eats breakfast as soon as he rolls out of bed. (No medications in the system)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I let mine eat when they were hungry. Like someone said, this is a basket C issue for us.

Something healthy, lite and simple just to keep his tummy from rumbling should do it.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I have another perspective on this. With one of my difficult children it wasn't so much a hungry thing as it was a not want to go to bed thing. So if you are pretty sure it is becaus he is hungry then by all means he should eat a little something. However if it is so he doesn't need to go to bed then it might be a different story.

Beth

So if you are pretty sure it is becaus he is hungry then by all means he should eat a little something. However if it is so he doesn't need to go to bed then it might be a different story. Beth
That's pretty much why I made him wait because he was already in bed he just asked for a pb&j with marshmallows then 15 min later he was still awake & still hungry so i told him no marshmallows but he could have a pb&j he didn't like it but he agreed to it so i figured he must be hungry if he'd give up the marshmallows without a fight lol