For all you teachers out there...

Abbey

Spork Queen
(My dad sent me this. I'm going to give it a try! Only a teacher would understand the joy of inservices.)

HOW TO STAY AWAKE IN TEACHER INSERVICES: OFFERED AS A PUBLIC SERVICE...

Do you keep falling asleep in teacher meetings and inservices? Here's a way to change all of that:

1. Before (or during) your next meeting, inservice, or staff development, prepare yourself by drawing a square. I find that 5"x 5" is a good size.

2. Divide the card into columns - five across and five down. That will give you 25 one-inch blocks.

3. Write one of the following words/phrases in each block:
* no child left behind
* test scores
* core competencies
* communication
* standards
* multiple exposures
* benchmarks
* proactive
* win-win
* think outside the box
* action plan
* result-driven
* assessments
* knowledge base
* at the end of the day
* touch base
* mindset
* differentiated
* retention
* skills
* background knowledge
* effective learning
* exemplars
* implementation
* reflection

4. Check off the appropriate block when you hear one of those words/phrases.

5. When you get five blocks horizontally, vertically, or diagonally stand up and shout "BULLS**T!"

TESTIMONIALS from satisfied "Bulls**t Bingo" players:

-- "I had been in the meeting for only five minutes when I won."
- Adam W., Atlanta

-- "My attention span at inservices has improved dramatically."
- David T., Orlando

-- "What a gas! Staff development will never be the same for me after my first win."
- Dan J., New York City

-- "The atmosphere was tense in the last inservice as 14 of us waited for the fifth box."
- Ben G, Denver

-- "The speaker was stunned as eight of us screamed 'BULLS**T!' for the third time in two hours.

-- "The Bulls**t Bingo Championship will be played at the next inservice."
-Rod H., Nashville

Kathy813

Staff member
How funny! That was great. I could think of some more boxes ~ engaged learning, professional learning communities, sponge activities.

I am going to share this with every teacher that I know. Maybe our next meeting will be more fun.

Thanks, Abbey.

~Kathy

Lothlorien

I'm not a teacher, but I'm laughing my b-utt off! :rofl: I'll have to forward that off to my friend who is a teacher.

muttmeister

I've been subbing the last few days. I have to go again tomorrow so I'll make a copy and share.
It is so true and funny but also sad that people who are supposed to be teaching us how to teach can be so !@#$%% boring and irrelevant!

Wiped Out

Staff member
may even have to share this with my principal-she has a good sense of humor. Could of used this Tuesday afternoon as we just had an inservice afternoon.

Marguerite

I love it! I've just sent it off to a Special Education professor I know. He has to sit in boring meetings all the time. And husband will have an entire faculty to share this with!

Marg