For Pink two things that reminded me of you yesterday

BusynMember

Automatically I thought of you lol.

First I was waiting in line for a Walmart john and this young mother was struggling to change her infant son's diaper on the restroom changing table with a toddler in diapers at her side. When she finished the infant she had him in one arm and lifted the toddler with her free hand and somebody offered to hold the infant for her and she gratefully thanked her...lol. I don't know why but that reminded me of young you.

Then somebody I talk to a lot told me happily that she had done something she never did before....hung her sheets outside to dry. She said they felt so soft and smelled so good. OF COURSE THAT reminded me of you!!!

Made me smile. I like you so they were good feelings.

Pink Elephant

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!! You are such a sweetie, SOT! Thank you! :)

OMG, yes, I remember the days of having two in diapers at the same time, and... changing diapers while away from home/outside the home. I used to change my kids in the backseat of the car while out. Kept a plastic bread bag in the diaper bag for wet and soiled diapers. What a smelly mess that was. So yucky. Had I not been so old-fashioned, I would have opted to use Pampers when we were out and about (and for travel).

OMG, yes, fresh line-dried bedding! The best! Sheets and pillow cases always feel so tight and clean, and they smell so good! There's a crispness about line-dried sheets and bedding you simply do not get when drying in an electric.

You know, I miss the days when my kids were little. Always having a line of diapers pinned up out back drying, stripping and washing crib sheets and other baby clothing, even changing diapers, as yucky as that was. It kept me busy and my days were always full, but I enjoyed it, and there was something about doing things the old-fashioned way as I did that had a way of making me feel I was in another era... like back in the 50's or 60's.

AppleCori

I don’t miss the diaper changing at all!

I like babies, but I enjoy elementary age kids the most
(ages around 4-12).

My favorite part about kids is teaching them things. Science experiments, teaching them to read, history, reading books to them (especially longer books and chapter books with actual plots and such) cooking, and all the other things.

I like kids games, too.

BusynMember

I had fun with my easy kids at all ages. Bart and Princess were challenging teens. Aside from those two in the teen years I loved being Mom and still do. I enjoy so much close adult relationships. Jumper, who lives so close and works close, drops by after work, hangs out with us on her days off, is like a perfect friend. I am close to Princess too but I can't see her as much but we do make time. We are going there on June 30th and she and baby are coming up around my birthday which is a landmark birthday for me! I can relate to the boys more now too. See Sonic alot. Talk to Bart every day and often we have fun.

Motherhood has defined me more than anything else and since marrying this husband being a wife also defined me.

I never had a great desire to identify myself as an out of home worker, although I had many jobs. My heart was always at home.

I can't say I enjoyed diapers lol. They we're just part of the territory.

AppleCori

I had fun with my easy kids at all ages. Bart and Princess were challenging teens. Aside from those two in the teen years I loved being Mom and still do. I enjoy so much close adult relationships. Jumper, who lives so close and works close, drops by after work, hangs out with us on her days off, is like a perfect friend. I am close to Princess too but I can't see her as much but we do make time. We are going there on June 30th and she and baby are coming up around my birthday which is a landmark birthday for me! I can relate to the boys more now too. See Sonic alot. Talk to Bart every day and often we have fun.

Motherhood has defined me more than anything else and since marrying this husband being a wife also defined me.

I never had a great desire to identify myself as an out of home worker, although I had many jobs. My heart was always at home.

I can't say I enjoyed diapers lol.

Do you have a “favorite” age?

I enjoyed them at all ages, too, but I still have a favorite age.

Pink Elephant

I don’t miss the diaper changing at all!

I like babies, but I enjoy elementary age kids the most
(ages around 4-12).

My favorite part about kids is teaching them things. Science experiments, teaching them to read, history, reading books to them (especially longer books and chapter books with actual plots and such) cooking, and all the other things.

I like kids games, too.
I think what I miss is the closeness of being a mother to babies. The smell (think freshly bathed baby), the bonding, doing things for them that you know keeps them comfy and happy, watching them grow, learn, and do. It just seems to pass so quickly.

BusynMember

Depends on the kid. Elementary school was fun with all. Sonic and especially Jumper were great, fun teens. Jumper was a sports star and prom queen and it was so much fun to watch her having a blast as a teen. She was even tempered as was Sonic who also did sports. Bart was a more emotional teen. Princess used drugs.

I honestly think I enjoy all of them the most as adults. We can be friends and there is still closeness and so much love. So I would say elementary school (5-12) as under 18 and adults as a whole.

This would make a good thread too ;)

Pink Elephant

I can't say I enjoyed diapers lol. They we're just part of the territory.
I loved being at fulltime homemaker and mom, with dear husband working outside the home. We each had our own job. We'd talk at the end of each day and ask one another how our day went, and we'd each have stories to share, and share we did.

I don't miss the diaper days either, but my mom changed me, and in turn, I changed my kids, It was all part-and-parcel to being a mom. There's no picking and choosing between favourite and least favourite baby duties. When one needed doing, you did it, like it or not. LOL! :)

BusynMember

I mostly stayed at home or had part time jobs when hub was home. I didn't want strangers raising my kids. Period. I worked at 19 at a classy (so called) daycare and was horrified at how they treated the kids when the parents were gone. And they talked badly about some kids and parents and gossipped. If I ever had thought of working this experience let me know that only I love my kids comepletely, warts and all. I wanted to be there all the time. No daycare workers would see my child's first steps.

Some of the little kids at the daycare called me.mommy. I was with them more than Mom. Made sense.

I don't think it was wrong to work!!! It was just not something I felt was a good choice for me or my kids. Daycare has benefits too! Please nobody take offense! Much learning and socializing is there!

This was not popular thinking then. Most mothers worked full time. But I didn't want that. Yes, they had more money (shrug) but I raised my kids. I need er was I to having nice thing yeah. Still am not. In fact I am embracing minimalism these days. Our new house will not have extra clutter.

I have no regrets at all.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I mostly stayed at home or had part time jobs when hub was home. I didn't want strangers raising my kids. Period. I worked at 19 at a classy (so called) daycare and was horrified at how they treated the kids when the parents were gone. And they talked badly about some kids and parents and gossipped. If I ever had thought of working this experience let me know that only I love my kids comepletely, warts and all. I wanted to be there all the time. No daycare workers would see my child's first steps.

Some of the little kids at the daycare called me.mommy. I was with them more than Mom. Made sense.

I don't think it was wrong to work!!! It was just not something I felt was a good choice for me or my kids. Daycare has benefits too! Please nobody take offense! Much learning and socializing is there!

This was not popular thinking then. Most mothers worked full time. But I didn't want that. Yes, they had more money (shrug) but I raised my kids. I need er was I to having nice thing yeah. Still am not. In fact I am embracing minimalism these days. Our new house will not have extra clutter.

I have no regrets at all.
Oh, yes, you're talking with another mother here that is dead against childcare, even though I absolutely 100% understand the need for such.

Your story makes me sad, SOT, because it's just not natural for a young child to think of someone else as their mom, but I'm guessing when their real mom spends less time with them than their caregiving mom or moms do, that is the end result. When I hear stories such as this, I am so grateful for being able to have stayed home to raise my kids.

So happy for you on the clutter-free approach to your new home living, SOT! Way to go! :)

AppleCori

I love minimalism!

Working towards it, anyway....

One thing I have noticed, though, is that very young children do tend to use the word ‘mom’ for any female person who does caretaking for them. It’s very common. I have had several kids say this to me. I don t think anything of it.

Pink Elephant

I love minimalism!

Working towards it, anyway....

One thing I have noticed, though, is that very young children do tend to use the word ‘mom’ for any female person who does caretaking for them. It’s very common. I have had several kids say this to me. I don t think anything of it.
In all the years I babysat, never did I have a child (young or old) refer to me as "mom", not saying I don't believe you, SOT, because I do, but I've never experienced such in my day.

Keep on the narrow and straight regarding your newly started minimalism ideals! :)

Pink Elephant

SOT. While I may not be changing diapers anymore, I'll definitely be thinking of you (and this conversation) whenever I'm out hanging laundry on the line in the future! :)

BusynMember

Pink, they did. I was with many from 6 to 6.Maybe they just forgot and called me Mom. They knew I wasn't Mom. But to me that is just as sad. Often their moms would come to get the exhausted and hug them then hurry them home because it was so late.

And I and my co workers often saw a lot of firsts that the parentsi missed.

I just decided it was not for my kids. I am not against it but I didn't want to do it.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Pink, they did. I was with many from 6 to 6.Maybe they just forgot and called me Mom. But to me that is just as sad. Often their moms would come to get the exhausted and hug them then hurry them home because it was so late.

And I and my co workers often saw a lot of firsts that the parentsi missed.

I just decided it was not for my kids. I am not against it but I didn't want to do it.
Oh, yes... all of the firsts. Wouldn't have wanted to miss a single one of those. They only happen once. Makes me so happy knowing the daycare you worked at had loving moms like yourself. :)

BusynMember

pink, and I did my best. But I was only 19 and not yet a mom. I did love the kids, loved the most difficult the best. I was very good with harder littles.