For the booze experts?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
OK, I'm a beer and mead/cider expert. I am not a liqueur expert by any means.

I have about 3/4 of a bottle of Irish Cream in my fridge. It's a few months old (a neighbor gave it to me for New Year's actually, so 7 mos old.) . I had some of it about a month ago and it was fine.

I am wondering how long this stuff keeps as I maybe drink a couple of fingers of it once a month or less. I assume it can't be frozen as it'd seperate?

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the stuff tastes, and if alcohol in any quantity didn't make me wired and keep me up all night, as well as giving me a headache, the bottle would be long gone. (I have bottle stoppers for the craft beers/ciders/meads I buy as I can't finish a whole bottle)

So, anyone out there who knows enough about the Irish Cream liqueurs to be able to give me an idea of when to pour this stuff down the drain as opposed to finding out the hard way?

I have switched out the cap the bottle came with for one of the wine bottle stoppers I use for my beers and ciders, in hope that that would help the stuff last longer.

Thanks in advance, GN (who remembers when she weighed 123lbs and could drink a man 2x her size under a table. Thank goodness I realized early on that THAT was not a good sign.)

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
We had a bottle of Baileys in our bar at home for a few years and every once in a while someone would use it to make a drink. It's too sweet for me, so I have no personal experience. No one ever complained about it.

Storage and shelf life
The manufacturer claims Baileys Irish Cream has a shelf life of 24 months and guarantees its taste for two years from the day it was made — opened or unopened, stored in a refrigerator or not — when stored away from direct sunlight at temperatures between 0 and 25 °C (32 and 77 °F).[6]

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Thanks, Runawaybunny! I keep it in the fridge, so it's nice to know it'll actually keep until I get around to finishing it off. I drink it half and half with milk to cut the sweetness and throw in a couple of ice cubes.

I understand it's good in coffee, if you like coffee, which I don't, and good over ice cream, which I haven't tried, as I very rarely eat ice cream. Joys of being diabetic.

Lil

Freeze it into ice cubes then you can just add those to milk without watering down the milk. I don't think it's too high in alcohol to freeze.

pigless in VA

We have a cidery in town which is making some outstanding ciders. It's called Big Fish, because there's a giant trout on their roof. My favorite is the Shady Lane Shandy.