For those not attending the Chicago get together and those who are

mstang67chic

Going Green
I had a light bulb moment! I for one plan on taking my laptop to Chicago and I"m sure I won't be the only one. What would you all say about setting up times to be Skyped from the get together? Obviously we wouldn't be able to call anytime but maybe we could set aside some time each day. I'm not sure my phone would survive another trip around the table! LOL

Thoughts?

Suggestions?

H

HaoZi

I'm game if I'm available at the time (and don't forget to turn on Skype).

T

TeDo

I love the idea since I won't be able to be there. I LLLLLOOOOOVVVVVEEEE it!!! Please do it, would ya, would ya, huh, would ya pppppplllllleeeeaaassssseeeeee?????

:please::please::please:

Is it working yet?? LOL

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, how about that!? What a wonderful idea! You know that Skype works all over the world. I speak to my difficult child in Australia on Skype. Sometimes there's a little bit of delay, but otherwise it is great. And it doesn't cost anything! So yes please, and just let me know and no matter what time of day (or night) it is here, I will be sure to make myself available and "join" you in Chicago at the table. Yes please. Like Hound dog, I "sort of know how to use it."

Love, Esther

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I don't know how to skype... But husband does! I'll have to also figure out how to use the webcam on my 19-month-old laptop... LOL! But I love it!!!

H

HaoZi

Skype.com I believe to download. You don't have to use the video feature, you can just use voice in group calls. A group of my friends used to do voice chats frequently to coordinate on games we were playing that required cooperation. Made it MUCH easier than typing at each other.

You just start adding people to a conversation, that creates a group chat. Then there's a "group call" button, which you can choose to answer or decline. Even if you decline you can still type in the group chat, you just don't hear the group call. You can also join the group call after you decline as long as it hasn't ended.

Star*

call 911........call 911
what kind of camera do you get? I have a Kodak Easy Share Z710 but there's nothing in the book about skyping.

.......are you sure this isn't a snipe hunt? (twists lips) IT takes great pictures.....but I plugged it in last night and there is NOTHING to do with seeing anyone.

Malika

I think it's lovely you are all meeting up like this. Star is kindly paying for me to fly to Chicago too :) Seriously, next year I have planned to visit the US in the summer so who knows?
I hope you have a fine time, with lots of laughter and joy.

keista

Star, you need a webcam. Can get a cheap one for 15-20. But like mentioned before, you don't NEED the video to join in a Skype chat.

DammitJanet

Ok...I need to check on this but to do a group video chat we have to have paid for it BUT my therapist said that he got an email telling him that he was getting a deal where if he paid for his year of video conference chatting in one lump sum then everyone he was chatting with could be on the chat for free. Soooo....I need to check and see if I get one of those emails or if any of those of us doing this skype chat have got that email.

Star*

call 911........call 911
WEB CAMERA? Okay. Well I guess picture camera would not work.....hahahah. Oaaaaaaaaahahahha. (ahem) and then you do what? DO you have to have a microphone? How do you hear people? I swear if you tell me shoe phone I'll cry.

Someone coming to hook this up right? I HATE technology.

keista

OK..........boot phone. lol

You MUST have a microphone. Last I checked, those you can get for $5-15. What I use is a headset/microphone combo approx $20 We use headsets on our computers instead of the speakers because we've got 4 in one small room. Imagine 4 videos going at the same time!

They are usually plug-n-play and not hard to set up.

DammitJanet

I dont know...I have never tried it because I only had Keyana on skype until mustang just added me the other day...lol so I have never attempted a group chat before but my therapist said that he has had skype since I think he said the late 90s maybe...dont quote me....and that it cost to do video conferences so they just did conference calls...but when he got that email he joined up so that as long as he is in the group video conference the entire thing is free for everyone. Now I dont know.

WOW is it thundering here!!!!!! two really large booms back to back