For those of you getting a refund...

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What are you plans for the money?

easy child is going to pay off part of her auto loan. difficult child and E are supposedly going to pay off old bills, put some into the wedding fund and save some. I don't think they are getting that much back for all that, but who knows?

Mine is going into the wedding fund. I will, however, be reserving about $300 for a getaway in July. Wish there was more but grateful for some.

How about yours?

BusynMember

We bought a new old car (a van). Hub is a mechanic and we buy only old, old cars that run forever and this was our year for me to get one. I LOVE IT! Not bad on gas either! $1000 is stashed for Christmas because we have no extended family so that is that. Christmas is 100% on us. Nobody else gives anyone any presents; nobody else plans or cooks the meal, except Julie (Pastry Chef) and often I help her with the food bills. My daughter Jumper's prom dress was bought with some of the money and it was her most expensive dress to date...she is running for prom queen and it is her junior year. At our school, junior year is THE year for prom. There is no senior prom. It is like that all over this area. I had to get used to it. Prom was basically for Seniors where I used to live...oh, well. That's it. We stashed the rest.

JKF

We're going to use ours for a week long trip down south in June. We're going to Myrtle Beach, SC for 6 nights and on the way home we'll hit Kitty Hawk, NC for 3 nights. We try to use our refund for vacation every year unless something comes up and we really need that money for something else. But thankfully this year things are going well on that front bc I reallllllllly need a vacation! lol

dstc_99

Im so boring! LOL
We paid bills. That's it. With us moving this summer all extra money is going in savings and to pay off bills so we can start new with less bills and difficult child out of our hair.

Nancy

difficult child paid her utility bills whch were all overdue and shutoff notices went out and the leftover went towards her rent. At least now she is debt free for the time being. easy child got very little but is using it to help pay for a vacation she is going on with her boyfriend and his family.

Us....since husband is self employed and has to pay quarterly we just put any refund onto next years so the quarterly is less.

DDD

Nancy, I didn't know easy child had a boyfriend. Big news. Is he a guy you all like?

Our refund, when we get one as we are right on the cusp of the working poor and the survivors LOL, goes to pay the real estate taxes on our business building. At least that is what it has gone for the past ten years. I haven't even taken a gander at the file for taxes. I am SO VERY FAR BEHIND at work it is scarey. Yep...even with taxes. I can only do what I can do and it "ain't much" these past six months. Whine DDD

Nancy

DDD I'm flattered that you kept such good track. She's only been dating him for about 3 months. He actually did gymnastics at the same gym easy child did for years and years, he was on the boy's team and she on the girl's. She reconnected with him on the internet just by chance and they began dating. I've only met him briefly when they dropped off the dog for a sleepover but he seems like a very nice person and she is very happy and that is my clue that he must be a great guy.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Change of plans....lol.

H and I discussed it and since it is so important to both of us, we've decided that a bulk of my return will go towards a new pool liner. The balance will go into the wedding account. I'm cool with this as I sweat my tail off last summer and really REALLY missed having a pool to cool down! That said, my electric bill was much lower without running the filter all summer! mother in law will be here so it will be good to have the pool up and running.

witzend

Pay the Feds if the State ever gets around to processing me. I got a letter from Oregon asking us to re-send any W-2's that we paid Oregon taxes on, and not to worry, that it didn't mean that they were auditing us.

If we get the refund we asked for - and there's no reason we shouldn't - we should have a little leftover, with which I will extend the crummy deck we have into our back yard to a size that is usable. Then again, who knows what they have in store for us?

everywoman

Not getting much back, but what I do get will go into the wedding fund for easy child. easy child is also using her refund for this. She and fiance are covering much of the cost, but I want to help as much as possible. We are having Save the Date cards/magnets printed today by the graphics teacher at my school. She is doing them for under $25.00. husband wants to purchase koozies for wedding gifts with easy child's and fiances names and date---I have to check on a price. We will be providing all the food for the reception. I have secured a dj and will give him a deposit and sign contract next week. Hopefully by June, all planning and spending will be done. easy child is having a stock the bar party and will pay for the rest of the alcohol for the reception.

Jody

I bought a van and put down some money on a mobile home and got moved. Paid some bills and back to broke. It was fun while it lasted. I do feel that I did right by the money though.

Californiablonde

$3500 for me went to my mom for all the money I owed her. $2500 is being put into a special savings account so I have money to live off of in the summer. The rest is going to moving expenses. Most years I have money left over to buy the kids lots of clothes and even buy myself a few things, but this year, since I owe my mom so much, I can't do anything else. At least I know I am covered for the summer so I have money to live off of when I'm not working, and that's a huge relief.

Californiablonde

Earned income credit. It's because I hardly make enough money to make ends meet plus having two kids under the age of eighteen. It really pays off in the end.

PatriotsGirl

Nancy, I was thinking the same thing. husband and I get money back from state but usually have to pay something to federal. Oh, but I remember the days of earned income credit. Those were the good refunds....

InsaneCdn

Nancy... the "advisors" around our parts tell us... if you're getting a big refund, you're doing something wrong, because it means you've given the government an interest free loan all year. Ideally, you come up just short or just over... small payment or small refund.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This is true! The goal should be to break even. A few years ago I received a huge bonus and ended up paying upwards of $4000 in taxes! Yikes! I changed my deductions per pay period and now I usually get back just enough that it feels like a little windfall.

Nancy... the "advisors" around our parts tell us... if you're getting a big refund, you're doing something wrong, because it means you've given the government an interest free loan all year. Ideally, you come up just short or just over... small payment or small refund.

LittleDudesMom

It may be true that you are "giving the gov interest free money" but with the rates on savings and cds now (under 1%), it hardly makes a difference. I don't have a 401k or retirement type account through work so I actually have extra money deducted from my paycheck on the federal side. Some may not agree, but it is painless because I don't see it, don't notice it, can't bow and spend it too soon, and get a nice chunk in Feb.

Sharon