For those who don't understand why anyone would commit suicide ...

TerryJ2

I don't mean to be controversial, but *especially* after what my b-i-l and sister went through this summer, I say, "More power to you, Tony!" Plus, he didn't take anyone with him.
If I weren't afraid of heights, I'd do the same thing, with-that prognosis. (Of course, I'd write a note.) Tony was a thrill-seeker and I'm guessing he was not too afraid. At least, it's fair to say he was more afraid of dying from a brain tumor than of jumping.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...6.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ncid=webmail1

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its sad that people would be driven to do this when they feel that they no longer have quality to their life. Honestly we treat our animals more humanely at the end of their lives and will alleviate their suffering yet we insist that people who are suffering suffer for no good reason I can think of :(

Marcie

TerryJ2

I mentioned this tonight to husband and he had heard it on the news (he watches TV when he's at the gym). I was shocked when he agreed with-me! I know it's because we've lived through so many family members' deaths now, and especially my b-i-l's horrid situation, and NOW my husband actually understands that there are good ways to go and bad ways to go.

witzend

I prefer Oregon's Death With Dignity law in these circumstances.

Under the law, a capable adult Oregon resident who has been diagnosed, by a physician, with a terminal illness that will kill the patient within six months may request in writing, from his or her physician, a prescription for a lethal dose of medication for the purpose of ending the patient's life. Exercise of the option under this law is voluntary and the patient must initiate the request. Any physician, pharmacist or healthcare provider who has moral objections may refuse to participate.

The request must be confirmed by two witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient, is not entitled to any portion of the patient's estate, is not the patient's physician, and is not employed by a health care facility caring for the patient. After the request is made, another physician must examine the patient's medical records and confirm the diagnosis. The patient must be determined to be free of a mental condition impairing judgment. If the request is authorized, the patient must wait at least fifteen days and make a second oral request before the prescription may be written. The patient has a right to rescind the request at any time. Should either physician have concerns about the patient's ability to make an informed decision, or feel the patient's request may be motivated by depression or coercion, the patient must be referred for a psychological evaluation.

The law protects doctors from liability for providing a lethal prescription for a terminally ill, competent adult in compliance with the statute's restrictions. Participation by physicians, pharmacists, and health care providers is voluntary. The law also specifies a patient's decision to end his or her life shall not "have an effect upon a life, health, or accident insurance or annuity policy."

How to Die in Oregon is a 2011 documentary film about the Oregon Death with Dignity Act, directed by Peter Richardson. It won the Grand Jury prize for documentary film at the 27th Sundance Film Festival.

DDD

Witz I completely agree with you. There are two States that have Death With Dignity and my family has been put on notice that IF the end of life stage is too difficult for me, I will be flying North, renting an apartment and seeking out a Physician who believes in the process. I find it comforting to know that it is available...doesn't mean I'm going to do it but I believe in options. DDD

witzend

Witz I completely agree with you. There are two States that have Death With Dignity and my family has been put on notice that IF the end of life stage is too difficult for me, I will be flying North, renting an apartment and seeking out a Physician who believes in the process. I find it comforting to know that it is available...doesn't mean I'm going to do it but I believe in options. DDD

You'd be surprised how many people ask for the prescription, but don't use it. For whatever reason, they're not ready to, and things progress differently. But they have that option there. Throwing yourself off of a bridge is not a decision anyone should have to make.

DammitJanet

I dont think I live in one of those states but that is exactly the way I plan to go and I have made that clear to every psychiatrist and therapist I have ever seen. One of the questions that you are always asked when you see a psychiatrist or therapist is do you have a plan to kill yourself. My answer is always yes. I tend to get very concerned looks at about that moment. Thats when I go into my long discussion about how I have several chronic disorders that cause pain now and they will only get worse as I get older. Eventually the day will come when I most likely wont be able to handle it even with pain control and I wont live in agony. Also, alzheimers runs down the maternal side of my family and if I ever even get one inkling of that, then I wont live one more minute. My decision to end my life has very little to do with mental health, it has everything to do with physical issues and no one is going to change my mind. I have that right. Most everyone I have had this talk with has just nodded and said they agree with me. They cant help me but they dont blame me in the least.