For those who don't want to be dieting for the holiday season........

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Guess I'm in a goofy mood today, this one made me laugh out loud.......

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS
1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately.. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. It's rare.. You cannot find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-alcoholic or something.
It's a treat.. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think It's Christmas!
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Holiday party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
8. Same for pies. Apple, Pumpkin, Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert?
Labor Day?
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
9. Did someone mention fruitcake?
Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention. Re-read tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.
[FONT=&quot]=[/FONT]

lovemysons

Have to admit number 1 is my favorite.

See, husband bought a huge bag of lettuce and 2 containers of tomatoes for Thanksgiving (along with the other "proper" stuff). Talk about not having any holiday spirit. It just cracked me up as I reminded him that we are supposed to indulge and eat fattening food on that day like no other. I don't think he'll ever buy salad fixin's for Thanksgiving again! :)

Thanks for the post...I needed a chuckle.
LMS

SuZir

HOLIDAY EATING TIPS
1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Holiday spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately.. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

But... but... *lip trembling* But, what about if carrot casserole just happens to be the traditional Xmas dish in your culture and it just happens to be your favourite? Does it help if there is a lot of cream and butter in it? Is it okay to eat it then?
:brokemyheart::crying:

Kathy813

Staff member
No worries, SuZir, I would think the addition of lots of cream and butter would make it an acceptable holiday dish.

~Kathy

InsaneCdn

SuZir... a carrot "casserole" is NOT a carrot "stick".
Raw carrot sticks on a veggie platter... no work and hardly any calories... makes it not exactly holiday fare.
A casserole implies some work.
Traditional dish label helps.
And yes... lots of butter and cream...

hmmm... care to share the recipe? (by pm if not by post)

SuZir

ICdn: You are right, in fact this dish takes quite a lot of work or at least time.

Carrot Casserole

2 kg (4,5 pounds) carrots

Rice porridge:
2 dl (about 1 cup, little bit less) water
2 dl (again, little short of the cup) rice (white, short grain)
1 tsp salt
1 l (about one quart) milk (whole milk and part can be replaced by cream, if you feel like that)

Other things needed
4 tbsp syrup
1–2 tsp salt
pinch of white pepper
pinch of grated nutmeg
pinch of grated (dry) ginger
dollop of cream
3 eggs

On the top
breadcrumbs
butter

1. Peel, cut and boil carrots, let them cool off and mash them.
2. Make a rice porridge. Boil water, add rice, when water has almost boiled out, add milk, let boil slowly for closer an hour. Add salt. (By the way, rice porridge by itself (served with sugar and cinnamon) is a traditional Christmas Eve morning meal around here, with one hidden almond in it. One who finds an almond is lucky one next year/gets a wish/gets a small present/has to sing a Christmas carol depending how cruel and sadistic family you happen to be.)
3. Let porridge cool off
4. Add porridge, mashed carrots and other ingredients, mix well
5. Pour to buttered up casseroles, sprinkle breadcrumbs and small lumps of butter on top
6. Bake in 200 C (392 F) oven for hour and half.

The casseroles can be kept in fridge over a night before baking and they can also be frozen in that point, taken out later, melted in fridge and put to oven. I usually make my casseroles (there are several others too in our Christmas menu) at least few days, often week or two before Christmas, freeze them before baking and bake them when needed. It is also easy to make more at the time and use them during winter. Carrot casserole is nice side dish for beef stew and many others.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
Of course that casserole counts. The carrots are just there as a little flavoring and color for the butter and cream! Holiday buffets are all aboutt he butter and cream!

I agree about the carrots, but LMS, your husband was totally on the right track for Thanksgiving. He is my Grandma's kind of guy!

He knows that if you serve your food on a big piece of lettuce or a pile of lettuce, then the food has no calories. The lettuce svcks them out. Just don't eat the lettuce. That is why so many diets don't work - they tell you to eat salad and really that lettuce just hoovers up every available calorie it can find, so you don't lose weight.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
People actually attempt to diet during the holidays??? :faint:

Loved this!! It's my family's philosphy on holidays. lol

My stomach has shrunk down much too far to eat like that anymore, so I developed a new technique so I don't miss anything on the menu........a spoonful of everything. :) Even then, I have issues finishing. My mouth is none to happy about it either lemme tell you.