For those who have had the vaccines.......

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
How long do they keep you feeling like total crud?? This is ridiculous. I got them on monday, 3 days ago. I still feel like you do when you're coming down with something major. I "get" that it's my body building up it's defenses.........but I didn't dream I'd feel this yukky/achey or for this long.

Granted I got 2 at once, but geez. I've been pretty useless yesterday.....and all I did today was go pay some bills and I'm ready to go back to bed.

Darn things better work wonderfully.

busywend

It happens to some people. I have never had more than a feeling of fever (which was not actually a fever) for not more than 12 hours following the vaccine. But, everyone is different. Some people come down with the actual flu (albeit on a much less severe level).

Important thing is you remember to report it next year when you go to get the next one....and plan for a relaxing couple of days afterwards.

Kathy813

Staff member
I've never had any reaction to the flu vaccine and I have gotten it faithfully for years. I read that you can't get the flu from a dead virus. If you get sick after the flu vaccine, it is probably something else you were already coming down with before you got the shot.

Here is some good information from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

~Kathy

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Lisa, is it possible you feel so lousy because of your bout with all that pain and your hospital stay? When my body goes through that kind of stress now, I feel it for days afterward, it just wears me out! Maybe your body is trying to get over that adventure! Rest and take it easy for awhile.....you've been through a lot..........HUGS!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, first day was ................. I felt like someone had beaten me above the waist with a ball bat, especially the left side where I was having issues with the arm/chest deal. That was my muscles being so sore from all the spasms. Yesterday was a little of that but mostly feeling like I'm coming down with something........fever, chills, achey, and very tired. I *thought* it would be gone by today, but while it is a bit better.......I still feel yukky.

Maybe it is because I got both vaccines at once? Sort of a double whammy?

I'm taking it easy, trust me. Although I do have the boys tomorrow and sat...........and that is going to be interesting if I don't start feeling better pretty fast.

witzend

I've had no problems with vaccines as of yet. I get them faithfully. If I were laid up in bed what little muscle I have left would atrophy and I would be in a wheelchair for life. That's coming soon anyway. But gotta keep moving!

flutterby

Fly away!
I haven't had that kind of reaction to either the flu or pneumonia vaccine. difficult child came down with flu-like symptoms and was sick for 2 days last year, but she got the intranasal vaccine which is a live virus (at least, that's my understanding).

Kathy813

Staff member
That is my understanding, too. The shot contains the dead virus and the nasal spray contains a weakened live virus. I was surprised to see the CDC say, though, that you cannot get the flu from the live virus either. However, there can be cold like side effects with the nasal mist.

From the CDC:

Can the nasal spray flu vaccine give you the flu?

Unlike the flu shot, the nasal spray flu vaccine does contain live viruses. However, the viruses are attenuated (weakened) and cannot cause flu illness. The weakened viruses are cold-adapted, which means they are designed to only cause infection at the cooler temperatures found within the nose. The viruses cannot infect the lungs or other areas where warmer temperatures exist. Some children and young adults 2-17 years of age have reported experiencing mild reactions after receiving nasal spray flu vaccine, including runny nose, nasal congestion or cough, chills, tiredness/weakness, sore throat and headache. Some adults 18-49 years of age have reported runny nose or nasal congestion, cough, chills, tiredness/weakness, sore throat and headache. These side effects are mild and short-lasting, especially when compared to symptoms of influenza infection.

My easy child got the nasal vaccine when she was a teenager because she is afraid of shots. She didn't experience any side effects.

~Kathy

S

Signorina

Hi Lisa- I too have never felt ill from the vaccines.

I bet you are feeling ill from an adrenalin crash. You body went into an adrenalin fueled fight mode when you had your medical crisis. And now you are coming down. Happens to a lot of people after hospitalizations or surgery or days after an a accident etc.

Feel better soon!!

Nancy

I'm not sure but I thought there was a caution if you have ever had the barre-epstein virus and the vaccine could trigger a reaction. I've never had a reaction to the flu vaccine either but I have had a horrible reaction to an antibiotic that sent all my muscles and joints into a horrible spin that lasted six months.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, it's improving this evening. Thankfully. I was losing my patience.

Native peoples are fair more sensitive to vaccines. I won't go near a live one, high risk of getting whatever it is I'm trying hard not to get.......even if it's altered. Odd that I remember this easily enough with my kids but I never think of it when it comes to me. But I had no such symptoms when I had the vaccines for Hep B ect for nursing school. (I'd have remembered going to school feeling so icky believe me)

I hope this means I've built up a good resistance. There really are some nasty viruses going around and even young people, maybe especially young people, are having a tough time throwing them off.

I kept looking at the doctor weird. He kept asking me over and over did I have a fever along with all the other symptoms of West Nile when he was trying to figure out what might be wrong with me. We've had ample amount of mosquitoes this year but I'm lucky they don't seem to like the way I taste. I think even with the swarms of the darn things I maybe got 2 bites out of it total for the season. So, no, didn't have any of those symptoms. (thankfully it is on the rise here by quite a bit)

Step is probably right.......given the physical state I was in when I got them, plus getting 2 at once is probably what did it. I was so happy to feel somewhat better this evening I treated the grandsons and easy child to pumpkin pie with whipped cream. :)

Now if I could just get rid of the symptoms that sent me to the ER in the first place........ugh. Not as bad as it was but it's trying. Stupid nerves anyway.

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy, the same thing happened to me when I took Penicillin. I had traveling muscle and joint pain all over my body. It thankfully only lasted for about 6 weeks and never returned. I have refused to take Penicillin ever since even though I have had many doctors tell me that it couldn't have been the antibiotic that caused it. I researched the drug and found that it was a rare side effect. So much for doctor knows best.

~Kathy

TerryJ2

Lisa, I hope you are feeling better right now.
What was the reason you got two vaccines at once? Usually, you only do that if you are on a deadline, say, if you're joining the Peace Corps.
The only people I know who got mildly sick from vaccines were several, incl my easy child and husband, when they got Yellow Fever shots to go to Honduras (and before that, Guyana).
Many others (friends, acquaintances) who have gotten the flu vaccine or shingles vaccine, feel yucky for a day. But they still go to work.
I think you were still recovering from your other illnesses and you got two shots at once. That's a lot for your immune system to handle. The good news is, since you are feeling better, your immune system *is* working.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm guessing they gave me 2 at once because they had me pretty much nailed down and cooperative. LOL I'm rarely cooperative about such things.

I am feeling better. The icky is going away so hopefully by morning I'll be back to normal.

InsaneCdn

Medical crisis + vaccination = ZZZZZZ, in my opinion...
Add in the mega months' of extreme effort inside and outside of that house...
As soon as Lisa said she was "done" I wondered... how long until she "crashes"?
'Cause that's exactly what would happen to me. I keep going as long as the there is more to do, but if I've been pushing it for too long, as soon as I slow down.... WHAM!

DammitJanet

I had the vaccines when I was in the hospital. They gave me the flu vaccine and the pneumonia vaccine and the meningitis vaccine. I just got a call on my phone reminding me its time to go in and get my vaccines...lol. I dont get sick from them. I have no idea if they gave me all those at once though. I was a captured audience too.