For those with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids, how did you ever do counseling, if you ever did...

buddy

Just trying to imagine how this is gonna go. I am open to however it does go if he can relate to the person. He likes guys better I think, but this lady we are meeting sounds like she really does well with kids on the spectrum and with brain injuries. I am really hoping so. What do you do if the conversation has to be all the child's choice and he wont be prompted into any other conversation. He really does try to answer things to be polite when people ask, but doesn't answer in a valid or even a reliable way most times... yes, no, because my mom said she is gonna kick the dog, whatever dumb thing that comes to mind is the answer.

I hope this isn't a huge waste of time. If they use the dogs and just let stuff come out, it may work though....

BusynMember

We tried, but, as you know, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids don't particularly bond to strangers or talk much to them. They have enough problems telling their feelings to us...indeed, they have issues with identifying how they feel. We never felt it was useful. Autism is a neurological problem and my son got more out of his interventions than anything else. But good luck to you. All kiddos are different.

buddy

MWM, thanks, that's why we have never really gone there before. But since he is saying he wants to talk to someone about his "worries" I thought we could give it a try. I am trying to have no expectations. Just an experiment and if it works, fine....if not no biggie I guess. would be so nice if he could get some little bit of relief from it.

Ktllc

I have read in a book about Aspergers from Tony Attwood (sure you're familiar with it) that counseling was indeed possible as long as the therapist was trained (I mean really really trained) in Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).
Q is taking the lead on that one, you are so right to follow him!

H

HaoZi

I think a big thing will be if he feels comfortable with the counselor and the counselor knows how to get them to open up. Kiddo's uses games and lets her draw on the dry erase board to get her talking.

BusynMember

If Sonic asked for counseling, I'd do it. He just never has and the few times I've taken him he just makes poor eye contacts, says "yes" "no" "I don't know" and doesn't seem very interested. I can tell he wants to leave and get back home to do the things he enjoys. Again, all kiddos are different.

buddy

And once he gets there, we may have the same issue.... They say this one works with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) so we will see.....

TerryJ2

If he asked for it, go for it! That's way more than most of our kids do!

It took us weeks for difficult child to bond with-Dr. R. difficult child sat on the couch with-husband and hid his head under husband's armpit, cuddled, wiggled, did anything except participate in the discussion.
Sometimes, he still "opts out," either by pulling a typical teen and sitting in the car, or steaming and stewing in the chair right across from Dr. R and not saying anything. Or in the case of this week, argue with-absolutely everything.
Still, after all these yrs, I know for a fact that it has helped. Dr. R is trained to phrase things a certain way, and to bring the conversation back to where it belongs. He doesn't take things personally (that I know of) when it comes to difficult child. And he can say the exact same things that husband and I say, but because he is a dr, he is an authority figure and what he says usually holds a lot more weight with-difficult child.

L

Liahona

We don't do regular therapy with difficult child 2 and 3. they do have someone come to the house once a month and we work on social skills. difficult child 1 does do talk therapy, but he is a different case altogether. And, its not going well. He has a horrible time opening up to therapists. The best therapy sessions he has is when I'm in there and he is opening up to me while the therapist observes and directs the topic a bit. Because of the legal situation that isn't a great option right now. He keeps going though.

It sounds like Q has a specific problem he wants addressed; his worries. That should be good.

buddy

I am hoping that will be the case here too. I often get that, when another person says something to him, he will listen better. That has changed a little in the last few months. He seems more bold toward other adults. Pretty much since the principal started acting out to him. it stinks. I will not likely need to be there, though with the attachment stuff that worries me a little. I am afraid of her undoing anything we have worked on or if he tries to tell her how awful I am and she believes it, I am hoping she is more aware than that. But I will talk to her alone to scope her out. I had one chick who was like that and just fired her immediately.

If he asked for it, go for it! That's way more than most of our kids do!

It took us weeks for difficult child to bond with-Dr. R. difficult child sat on the couch with-husband and hid his head under husband's armpit, cuddled, wiggled, did anything except participate in the discussion.
Sometimes, he still "opts out," either by pulling a typical teen and sitting in the car, or steaming and stewing in the chair right across from Dr. R and not saying anything. Or in the case of this week, argue with-absolutely everything.
Still, after all these yrs, I know for a fact that it has helped. Dr. R is trained to phrase things a certain way, and to bring the conversation back to where it belongs. He doesn't take things personally (that I know of) when it comes to difficult child. And he can say the exact same things that husband and I say, but because he is a dr, he is an authority figure and what he says usually holds a lot more weight with-difficult child.