Forums for young teenagers

klmno

Months ago I posted and asked about a safe, respectable forum for kids who have issues, general life questions, just looking for a little communication, etc. There were several good responses, but unfortunately, I didn't write them down.

difficult child has been looking for an acceptable one today and asked if I could help. Does anyone still have an appropriate site in mind? I don't think he wants it all to be about BiPolar (BP) or "behavior" issues but I guess it would be ideal if some of the other kids on there could relate to some of this.

Ideas??

Abbey

Spork Queen
Gosh...wish I could help. This question has come up many times in the past when I was running the board, but it was a legal issue. A good percentage of time they turn into teen chat rooms that nothing to do with the actual issue. Then, you get the predator thing going on. Not good. I always steered WAY away from that.

Maybe someone can add some advice.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
No apology necessary...just what I experienced. It would be nice if that kind of forum was available. It's sad it's that way.

Abbey

DammitJanet

I have seen them some places but cant remember exactly where. I have no idea if he would be interested in something like Disney but I was checking them out one day and they had moderated chats.

Ohhhh...wait...let me think...I think that on about.com they have teen chats about bipolar. I think the addy is something like bipolar.about.com

nvts

Hi! I found an Aspergers one. It seems that if you google the diagnosis, you can find different sites that offer that type of thing.

The kids on the Aspie forum were a little older than my kids are, but eventually I'll let my oldest go on. What's neat is that you can watch it for a little while and see if you like the direction it's taking.

Make sure that if you sign up for a forum for your child, that you get the password for YOU so that if the site allows, you can put limits on what they're allowed to do.

We don't plan on allowing IM or e-mails for our son, as Abbey is right. There could be predators out there. If it can't be posted, he shouldn't be involved!

Beth