Found a new social skills therapy option for summer...

buddy

I spent the better part of the last two days hunting down any covered social programs so Q can work on this issue of getting overly stimulated and getting into negative behavior to get whatever attention he can and because he just doesn't know what else to do.....

Of course many require that they be fairly independent, which Q can be at times, but if needed there has to b e someone available to jump in there and help him negotiate his way and if needed to de-escalate situations.

So one place where I used to work and where he used to go for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) preschoool/K day treatment/therapy...has a program but again, no. they suggested another place though and were actually super helpful. I called this other place and was sure of another no and they asked where he went to school. I told them and they said OH, we have LOTS of kids from that district! (now remember this district ONLY has kids who are not able to be handled for some reason in their home districts...usually behavioral).... They even contract to provide ESY services which they individualize for the kids.

I described the good the bad the ugly....and they said he is right up their alley. ALL staff are CPI and other forms of crisis intervention trained. SO no injuries and they work to avoid hands on...take the prevention part very seriously. If a child is in need, they just make sure they hire a one on one and they said they would just start that way for Q and then see how it goes, if they can reduce.

Then, no, it is not covered.... BUT turns out I budgeted for 15 hours of Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) andhave been using 12 per week. SO that leaves about 3600 dollars so far this year not used. The summer program is 2000 and I called his case manager and she already made the change!

(She also said to ask t he p harmacy how much the extra p atches cost and she will help me hunt for funding if possible)

So, I have the intake on Thursday. Here is the little section they show for this age. What I am not getting at the other social group is a chance to r eally go and interact with kids ....WITH guidance and feed back.

This will have that. I told her what program he is in and she said if he is doing well there then their style is very similar. They do not do reward/consequences....they think outside the box. I hope it is as good as it sounds. She seemed like she really knew what she was talking about.

ages
13 to 19
“Tweens/Teens Talk & Rock” — Individual and group social behavior skills are developed through instruction in:
  • Social thinking and understanding
  • Perspective-taking skills
  • Social communication and interaction skills; and
  • Successful social experiences, PLUS
  • Therapeutic recreation
Participants learn and develop a wide variety of skills:
  • Independent living
  • Self advocacy
  • Coping and self-management
  • Emotional understanding and regulation
  • Behavioral management
  • Recreation and leisure; and
  • Social Skills
direct
instruction

1 hr
2-4 hrs Therapeutic Recreation

InsaneCdn

Way To Go, Buddy!
And Way To Go to have $$ left over in the budget! ( but not sanity left over, lol)

And... multiple action fronts on the patches problem... wow. This might be the best summer ever! <wink>

L

Liahona

Oh wonderful!!!!

That is great news. You really deserve great news once in awhile.

Ktllc

Don't you feel like a gold miner sometimes? Moving lots of sh*t to finally discover this little gold fragment? ;)
Good job!

T

TeDo

You have had a VERY productive and fruitful day. I am VERY impressed!! Isn't it great when you can find just what you need when you need it?!? I am so proud of you and even happier for Q. I think he'll enjoy it...especially being around kids he already knows. WOW.

Now on the $ issue, I'm glad you have extra in your budget but WHY haven't you been using all your Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) time? HMMM?????

StressedM0mma

That is wonderful Dee. From the description it sounds like Q will get the skill building help he needs. I hope it goes well for both of you.