Found me a new pair of sneakers in the garage...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
and guess whose they are???

difficult child 2! And he wore them TWO YEARS ago! We bought them when he was on a rec basketball team, and he only wore them for practices and games. He outgrew them by the end of the season, with plenty of wear left, and I remember washing them and setting them aside, thinking I'd donate them or see if they fit difficult child 1 whose feet are little smaller.

Now, I don't exactly have small feet -- I wear a 9.5... and these fit like they are size 10, just a little on the big side. But I tried them on today because my other sneakers were muddy and was a little shocked that they fit. :alien: Guess I'll be wearing these for a while!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sooooo is this considered.....

A hand me up
A hand me over
A hand me down
A hand me that shoe

I know how I felt when I grabbed a pair of Dudes thin boy Aeropostle jeans and pranced (yes pranced) around the house....I just called them ----
MINE...mwah hahahahahah.
I wear 8's to 9.5's Sasquatch wears an 11.5.....not going to get any hand me overs from his shoe dept any time soon.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Don't ya love it???

husband found a pair of shoes on the side of the road once. The disturbing part is that he stopped and brought them home. After cleaning around them for several months, I tried them on in a similar circumstance and they fit. So I wore "side of the road" shoes for a good while...

trinityroyal

Don't ya love it???

I do indeed love it! That's how I got a fancy new pair of winter boots this year. husband bought them for Little easy child, who wore them exactly twice before he outgrew them. They fit me perfectly, they're warm, they're waterproof, and they're cute too.
(As an aside, typical teen frightens me to no end that Little easy child at 8!!!! wears the same size shoes that I do, but then again, he's only 2 inches shorter than me.)

Hand-me-ups are fabulous! Gcv, enjoy those sneakers.

Marguerite

A 15 yo Downs girl at difficult child 3's drama class provided me with a couple ofskirts I now wear, although I've been thinking of finding another home for them as I find them a bit loose around the waist now.

Definitely hand-me-ups.

I also once wore (for ages) a pair of leather scuffs (thongs on the feet) that were discards of my nephew's (when he was 9 years old). Kid left home, my sister chucked them my way. I figured they'd keep the bindis (little thorns in our grass) out of my feet.

Where we live, we often get items dropped by passing hikers, or stuff literally blows in. We used to tie it to the front fence but nobody claimed the stuff, so eventually, after a particularly nice shirt blew in, I took to washing the items and handing them around the family. The danger there, of course, is that one day someone might recognise the item being worn. But it has never happened, not with found items. I have had it happen with a lovely pair of trousers someone gave me - the original owner (who was very much a 'w'itch) loudly commented on how those pants hadn't fitted her for years, and did I want the matching coat too?
OK, I accepted the coat. But I made darn sure I never wore either item in that woman's presence again. She later turned out to be my online flamer/stalker. Not connected to that incident, other than her natural tendency to be publicly nasty. Thankfully she's left town, I suspect only a few steps ahead of the posse.

Having studied disease transmission and parasitology at uni, makes me a bit more relaxed about using hand-me-downs/ups/whichever direction as well as 'found' or 'acquired' items. A cold water wash (with vinegar if it needs deodorising/decontaminating) followed by a long hanging on the clothes line, usually does the trick.

Marg

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I guess I'm just amazed (still) that my "little" boy is so darn big now. And the fact that I'm wearing shoes he wore in the 5th grade just drives it home further! :)