Freaked out at sleep study

tinamarie1

I have had anxiety & panic attacks for about 4 years now. I really thought that once I left my job (2 years ago) that it would all go away. But it seems that it slowly gets worse.
Last night I had to go to a sleep clinic so they could see how bad my sleep apneia had gotten over the past few years. I don't remember it being like it was last night.
It took the tech. 45 minutes to hook me up to all the wires, probes, etc. I had probably 6 glued on my head, a few on my hands, some on my chest with the wires running under my shirt and down through my pj pants to my ankles. The worst parts for me were these straps they velcroed around my breasts and my stomach. I told them they were really tight and he said they have to be to pick up the readings when I breathe in and out. And the kicker was wires they had to put up my nostrils to measure the temperature of the air I was breathing. I honestly thought I was going to have a panic attack. I kept taking deep breaths to try to calm down at night, but my breasts were pushed together so that it hurt to take deep breaths. I managed to go to sleep for about an hour but then woke up in a panic attack. I lied to them and told them the bed was hurting my back. I am so embarassed to tell people I don't have a relationship (ie: my doctor or counselor or psychiatrist) with that I have anxiety & panic disorders. Just because I have been in settings where medical people just dismiss it like its something I can control and its all in my head.
When I told them I wanted to leave at 4 am, they told me if I did I would have to pay the $750 right then and there for leaving early. (we have very good insurance that had approved this) well, I didn't argue, I tried to lay back down but couldn't. I felt like my skin was crawling. I sat on the edge of the bed for about 30 min. and they finally came in and unhooked me and told me I was free to go. I almost ran out of there, no kidding. Even when I came home it took me a while to go to sleep. I actually wanted to lay in husband's arms and cry. How weird is that??? I felt like it was torture.

Star*

call 911........call 911
YOU - need to GO HOME.

YOU HATE WHERE YOU LIVE.
YOU HAVEN"T LIKED VA SINCE YOU GOT THERE.
YOU HAVE TRIED TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT AND REALLY HAVE DONE A TREMENDOUS JOB DESPITE HATING IT.

IT IS TIME TO GO HOME TO MOSS IN THE TREES
HOT WINTERS
LEVEYS
BRUNSWICK STEW
CRAWDADS
FRENCH SPEAKING PEOPLE
THE SAINTS
CREOLE FOOD
A STATE THAT LOOKS LIKE A BOOT
AND SWAMPS WITH ALLIGATORS

I BET........if you went to LA - and got in a hammock - you would sleep like an angel and your panic and fears would fly out into the Gulf of Mexico.

HOW DO I KNOW?
I AM IN SC
MY HEART IS IN OHIO
I WANT WINTERS WITH SNOW
I WANT TO GO TO THE CLEVELAND PLAYHOUSE AND SEE BALLETS
I WANT TO ROCK AT THE MUSEUM OF ROCK AND ROLL
I WANT TO SEE AN INDIANS GAME
I WANT TO BE IN THE HEART OF IT ALL
I WANT TO FIND TIGER LILLIES IN THE WOODS AND DIG THEM UP
I WANT TO HEAR CRICKETS AND PICK BLACKBERRIES
I WANT TO SEE MUSKIE AND PIKE ON THE END OF MY FISHING POLE
I WANT MY MOM and FAMILY

Yeah I hear ya.

Best I can offer is a CD of Louisiana Bayou sounds on CD - If you have a CD player I'll send you this CD and you can play it at night - turn up the heat in your house and pretend you are back home.

HUGS
ps. It MIGHT be a good IDEA - to look up a psychiatric that is versed in EMDR therapy and give it a few sessions - LOADS cheaper than sleep therapy tests and VERY effective for anxiety attacks - I know this because I had SEVERE PTSD and MAJOR anxiety attacks and now - I'm much MUCH better.

susiestar

Roll With It
Mostly Star said all I thought of.

I am sorry that the attacks are so bad. I understand how horrible they are. I once curled up in the car seat in tears because I just could NOT get out of that car and go to the playground raising I had spent 3 years working tirelessly to fund. I was going to DIE if I got out of that car around all those people.

I had a sleep study and had that same awful band except I told them that I could NOT handle it and they MUST loosen it and I didn't CARE if it messed things up. They acted like I was a misbehaving toddler and I just. could. not. care. If they left that strap tight I would have swelled up and been black and blue all the way around.

It is what I do in bras. The next morning when they came in they were astonished. They loosened the chest vice and I STILL swelled up so much I had bruises all the way around. The morning person couldn't understand why the night person thought I was difficult and made a note about it on the chart.

I told them that I had them loosen it because it HURT and that is why they thought I was difficult. Also I can't sleep on my back and I HAD to. The doctor assured me that I could sleep in any position I wanted. the night witch told me she would put me in restraints if I rolled over. I told her I would have her FIRED if she came NEAR me with restraints.

Anyway, been there done that. I am sorry it was horrible.

I don't think wanting to curl up in husband's arms to cry is an unreasonable request. Not if it makes you feel better.

Hugs.

More hugs.

((((((((Big squishy hugs))))))))