Freaking out!!!

mog

I just lost my job! I don't think I can pay my bills this month.
I found out that medicaid is not going to pay for services any longer so difficult child is probably not going to complete this successfully as close as he has come. Damn it. He might go to jail now.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I KNOW how scary it is. My husband has been unemployed for a year now. He is very close to having a job, just is waiting until they have time to do the interviews - the guy really WANTS husband (husband went to go talk to him last month as suggested by his old college advisor), but nothing is for sure.

Tomorrow first thing go to see about unemployment. Talk to an employment agency, and even temp agencies. husband works a LOT of temp positions. He works at the campus bookstore on Mondays after the football team wins because then items are discounted 2% for every point we win by, he works at every university game from football to basketball, baseball, and soccer (mens and womens - Garth Brooks has a daughter on the soccer team so he sees Garth and Trisha Yearwood at every home game!) and all kinds of other things.

After unemployment, go to sign up for food stamps (may have to wait a month as they look at your bank balance for the month - all your deposits are calculated to see how much you qualify for.

Being unemployed may mean more $$ for difficult child's services, check on that. As he is 17 he should get medicaid at the very least until he is 18.

I am really sorry. I wish I could help more.

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm so sorry :( I agree about checking into unemployment services immediately. In our state, you can file for unemployment benefits online, so maybe yours has that service, too. Lots of places are hiring seasonal workers right now... maybe that will help until you find something permanent?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie gave very good advice. I know it's scary as pure hades............ husband has be unemployed for a yr now too and we've just added 5 ppl to the house 2 of whom are unemployed adults.

Only other advice I can think of is to prioritize bills. Roof over your head, phone, and car will be on top as those are needed for employment. husband and I dropped every extra out of the budget we possibly could and then some.......some ppl are just going to have to wait until our situation improves a bit before payments begin again.

Many many people in the same situation. If nothing else it does help somewhat to know you're not alone.

((hugs))

KTMom91

Another one in that scary situation...Hubby has been unemployed since Jan. When you file for unemployment, ask about retraining for displaced workers; Unemployment is paying for Hubby to attend school and also continuing his unemployment until he's finished. Definitely prioritize bills; see what you can put off and who will work with you on a payment plan.

Good luck.

Mattsmom277

I'm so sorry. Job loss is such a huge hit and scary as all get out. Theres some good advice here, I just hope that something falls into place to minimize your stress while you start a new job hunt. You are in my thoughts!

Star*

call 911........call 911
mog,

First? Breathe. Seriously. Breathe. Sounds like 'uh huh' advice - but I've been unemployed for six months and freaked out at first too, slept maybe seventeen hours in one week and ended up on Klonopin for my nerves (actually not a bad thing to have but not something you want to take daily) so - FIRST thing is first and Susie* gave you great advice - Get to unemployment first. Then head to food stamps - then ask for a form that shows where all the food banks, and agencies that help pay bills in your area are NOW - get signed up or find out how to work that system. Some have waiting lists. There are gov't. agencies that will help with bills too. Talk to your landlord, and check with medicaid for your son about reduced/free services.

I'm starting school Monday through the WIA program and did Work Keys while I've been unemployed to keep my skills up and show on my resume that I did more than 'nothing'. WIA is paying for my school. You can learn how to be a CNA, EMT, truck driver - lots of things are available for 're-training' and it's free. Most are 4-8 week courses and they are supposed to guarantee placement. Check into that with your unemployment office.

In the mean time? CUT EVERYTHING you can to bare minimum - TELL your utilities you lost your job - ASK how can they help so you don't have to QUIT services with them as you have been a loyal customer - most will help. I was floored that AT&T was so helpful with my cell bill. My cable company was NOT helpful, but the electric company was willing to bend a little on payments - AMAZING...just don't over promise.

Also - GET THEE TO A DOCTOR before your health insurance runs out and up your medicines - and ask your doctor to 'double up' your dosages and get 90 days so that you have enough for 180 days (just remember to cut pills in 1/2) and find Good Sam programs in your area and make appointments NOW.

Other than that? I' know we'll help with ? It will be okay - All I can say is worrying and not sleeping did me NO GOOD. Getting busy, keeping lists, doing a yard sale and a house purge? EXCELLENT!

Hang in there kiddo - (also find out how much you CAN make each week on unemployment to stretch your weeks WHILE ON unemployment) some states let you make $50 a week - and this extends your weeks of payments.

Hugs & Love
Star

LittleDudesMom

So sorry Mog. I agree that you should file for unemployment immediately. Benefits have been extended for a longer period due to the state of our economy. Prioritize your bills, make some calls for partial payment approval. Why is medicaid discontinuing payments for difficult child?

{{hugs}}

Sharon

mog

They are discontinuing payment for this treatment facility because they seem to think that he should have been fixed by now. He would have been done if they hadn't told him that he needed to do the fourth phase which according to the staff there -they hardly ever see happen. I just pray and ask all of you do to the same -that the judge will not see this as his fault and make him serve jail time for not completing successful. They are trying to place him in the next phase of treatment so I pray that the judge will count that but we just found out that the lady that is in charge of treatment has quit and they have a new young guy. I've heard he has no clue but am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.
Thank to all for the information about the job loss-I did do the unemployment thing and they said it will take 4-8 weeks before I know. I will call the phone and electric tommorrow

H

HaoZi

Check with local charities and see what help they offer and if they know what local government help might also be available to you on short notice. Good luck and *hugs*.

Jena

soo sorry i'm late to this. Take stars advice and do your best to breath through this. it's awesome you did unemployment already. 4 - 8 weeks their telling you is a while? can you do it online there as you can here in ny now? do you start claiming benefits right away.

you can also head to social services tell them you need emergency money and food stamps. they'll give it to you while you wait for unemployment. bring them utility bills, letter from job stating your fired etc.

good luck!!

hang in there it'll get better

mog

Thanks to all. I did not get a letter that I was fired and they are not planning to pay me for the last two days until next pay period. I have to start doing my employment contacts this Sunday and if I get unemployment it will give me back pay she said. I tried to do it online but it keep telling me that my social security number was not registered so I had to spend all day calling and hanging up until they finally answer then wait on hold for an hour while they talk to 62 other callers.
I did not know that they could do emergency food stamps or cash assistance right away. I thought that you just filled it out and waited for an answer. I will try that.
I am worried about easy child too -she jis down at college and did not buy a meal plan and tonight made the comment that she was not going to eat dinner because she had no food. What am i suppose to do with that knowing I don't have any money to send her or food for that matter.:sad-very:

Last edited: