Freeze Lemon or Orange Fresh Zest???

DDD

I used part of the zest from two pieces of fruit and now I'm wondering :hammer: why I couldn't zest the remaining peel and
freeze it for future use. It seems like it would be a good idea
but wondering has anybody done it?? DDD

meowbunny

Freeze away! Found this tip. Hope it helps.

"Freeze freshly grated lemon zest or strips of zest removed with a vegetable peeler in small self-sealing plastic bags for up to 3 months. You'll have it ready to add flavor and aroma to your meals anytime. You can freeze freshly squeezed lemon juice for up to 4 months. Many cooks prefer to freeze the juice in ice cube trays, 2 tablespoons per cube, rather than in larger quantities, so they don't have a big block of frozen juice. Then transfer the frozen cubes to plastic bags. Fresh lemon juice can also be kept in the refrigerator, in a tightly covered container, for 2 to 3 days without significant loss of flavor."

DDD

Boy, you're good! You're speedy, too.

Thanks alot. It seems like I waste alot just out of ignorance.
I buy a fresh lemon for a recipe and then only use half, or just
the juice, or just the zest. You've made me a happy camper.

Now I have to go find something little to put the extra lemon juice in to freeze. I don't think I should add it to the ice
maker. LOL DDD

meowbunny

:blush:

Get one ice cube tray -- the kind with individual squares. Two tablespoons in a square. Unused ones can have water (I color it red so I know which have lemons and which are plain water to be on the safe side).

DDD

Ah....yes......I remember them well! :smile: I've spent more years of my life with ice trays than I have with ice makers!
Thanks to your info, I used little glass custard cups and got
the juice in the freezer. It only took a few minutes and now I
have two lemon juice cubes AND a little bag of zest. I appreciate your input. Personally I like the aroma of citrus
more than I like citrus. on the other hand I have been surrounded by citrus
since WWII so I guess the novelty has worn off a bit. :rofl: DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
While lemon zest does give nice flavor I HATE the texture. I also hate cleaning out the strainer. I did find a solution.

LEMON OIL. They sell it in the candy making aisle at the craft store. LorAnn is the brand I find, it is now part of the Wilton company.

I use a drop of lemon oil in anything I want to have a really fresh lemon taste. When making lemon meringue pie I use a drop of lemon oil and bottled lemon juice.

I also add a drop to coffee cakes, anything I can think of. Even with the frequent baking we do a small bottle lasts a LONG time. And no little baggies to lose in the freezer.

Susie

Marguerite

Sorry, I'm a purist. I have to have the fresh stuff. easy child uses the commercial stuff and left a bottle of it with us when she moved to Canberra - I wish she'd take it home with her.

I freeze whole citrus fruit. Oranges get cut into wedges and frozen that way. Especially in summer, they're great straight from the freezer. Lemons & limes - frozen whole and zested while frozen. That way I zest just how much I want then put it back in the freezer. When I want juice - I hunt through the freezer for one already zested, get it out, microwave it and juice it. Alternatively, I can remove the solid block of frozen lemon from the partly-thawed skin, and puree it into whatever I'm making, such as lemon sorbet. Got to have fresh lemon for that, too.

For the gremolata to sprinkle on top of osso bucco, it has to be fresh lemon or lime zest, mixed with finely chopped garlic and parsley.

But back in the days when I used to freeze lemon or lime zest, I found it will keep for months d months in the freezer, but because it's finely shredded it will freezer-burn very easily. If you're adding it to something wet and hot, that's OK, but don't waste your time adding it to fruit punch if it's been frozen more than a month or so. Too bitter in punch, anyway. The frozen lemon (peel removed, preferably) is lovely added to a jug of water on a hot day. Fruit punch is great with a passionfruit pulp ice block or five thrown in. Frozen strawberry pieces are great too, in a fruit punch.

And when it's time to clean out the freezer - make jam.

Marg

DDD

OMG! Are you telling me, a native of the "citrus State of Florida" that you can freeze WHOLE oranges and lemons and limes?
Grapefruit, too?

In a quadrillion years I never even thought of that! DDD

meowbunny

Just think -- no more moldy lemons! I'm with you DDD, never thought of freezing lemons and oranges. Do freeze grapes in the summer for quick snacks. Always have some whole bananas in the freezer for baking and cooking. But never thought lemons! DUH!!!!!!

Around this house, lemon and garlic are considered absolute necessities. I think I have two recipes that don't use one, the other or both.

Marguerite

I wouldn't freeze whole oranges, except for later use in cooking. The wedges are good for sucking in the summer. You need to watch that the bitterness from the peel doesn't affect the fruit - more of an issue with oranges. Grapefruit - I haven't done it but it should be possible. But not if you plan to serve them for breakfast - when you let them thaw out fully, they are soft and a bit mushy. This is fine if you want to juice them, but not for eating once thawed. If you let them thaw out after they've been fully zested you don't get the pith bitterness. I would only freeze grapefruit if you plan to either juice them or make marmalade afterwards.

A trick I do in summer - I got those ice-cube moulds which are shaped to take a lemon or lime slice in them. I put the slice in with peel removed, so it's citrus fruit only, then pour fruit juice into the mould instead of water. These are fabulous to add to sangria (which is a lovely drink to sip as you watch the sunset, on a summer weekend). There are a range of sangria recipes, both white wine-based and red. I even found a champagne sangria recipe. The necessary ingredient also, is the fresh fruit and lots of ice, so I often freeze the fruit pieces and add it that way. Blood oranges especially are marvellous in this recipe.

Oh, and you can freeze whole passionfruit, but you need to keep them in a sealed container if you have a frost-free freezer, or they lose their moisture. To use a frozen passionfruit, you let it thaw slightly to soften the skin, cut them in half and the insides scoop out like an ice cube out of a tray. You can drop it straight into summer drinks, like a flavoured ice cube. As it thaws out, if not only chills the drink it flavours it. Or you can throw them in a saucepan with chopped apple, sugar and butter to make a passionfruit butterscotch sauce to pour over - well, anything sweet.

Marg

DDD

Marg, I shared the idea of freezing citrus with my husband at dinner
last night. When I mentioned you were from Australia, he said
"do you know that Australian citrus has really made a big dent
in our Florida citrus market?"

I'm so limited that I always think all the oranges come from either Florida or California. Hmmmmmm....I wonder if that is proof that I am not a world traveler. LOL.

Regardless of the international nature of the citrus industry, I
am delighted that I no longer have to worry about wasting fresh
fruit. Thanks. DDD