Freezing!

flutterby

Fly away!
My furnace has decided it only wants to run once every 3 hours. I'm hoping that it will at least to continue to do that and we can limp along until Monday. It's 10 degrees out and supposed to fall to zero or below tonight. :frozen: If it decides to stop altogether, we'll have to get someone out tomorrow.

Everyone that works on this furnace tells me that it's a "really nice furnace" and it will "last for years", but this will be the 4th time I've had someone out for this exact problem in 2 years. So frustrating! And of course, it only happens when it's really cold! It's throwing out the same code as every other time.

So, I've cranked up the heat so that when it does run that one time every 3 hours, it gets really, really warm in here and doesn't get *as* cold while we wait for it to run again.

We're also getting snow that wasn't called for. Forecast says scattered flurries with accumulation under an inch. We've gotten 2 inches in 3 hours.

I might camp out in easy child's room until I go to bed on my heated mattress pad. It stays really warm in his room; the PS3 throws off a lot of heat.

flutterby

Fly away!
The furnace has run 3 times in a row! It's been doing the every 3 hour thing since Friday night, so cross your fingers that it keeps it up til Monday. It's now 6 degrees. No, wait, make that 5 degrees. :frostbite:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Oh Heather-I hope it keeps working-my fingers are crossed. A few years ago ours died during an extreme cold snap and they couldn't get anyone out til the next day. We literally had our coats and mittens on and tons of blankets. We lit a lot of candles in our bedroom and all of us hung out there much of the day.

katya02

Solace
Brrrr! That's always the way, isn't it? Could there be something blocking the exhaust from your furnace, maybe intermittent icing up or snow blocking the outlet, then getting blown away so the furnace starts up again? We had a problem like that a couple years ago.

Stay warm!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather, keeping fingers crossed that your furnace holds out til Monday. If it's that messed up call out furnace guy today & hand landlord the bill. If landlord refuses to pay, deduct from your rent.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Keeping my fingers crossed your furnace holds out.

It's freezing here too. Last time I checked it was 5 degrees. :frozen: I'm guessing we've got a windchill going on too cuz I'm sitting here freezing. And My furnace is working just fine.

Mr Rowdy has been whimpering in his kennel. This year he has no straw. I've been nagging husband for at least 2 mos to go get him his straw.:mad: He's now freezing. I'd bring him in but I've nowhere to put him. His crate is buried somewhere in my family room and I don't have the strength to search for it. But tonite Betsy may be sharing her crate with her Daddy and I'll let her sleep in the kitchen. She's not gonna like it cuz she's scared to death of the dark......but I can't let Rowdy freeze to death either. husband will hate me cuz he'll have to bring him inside. I'm in no way sticking my nose out the door until I have no choice.:sick:

donna723

I went out yesterday and bought a big crate for Freebie, my mixed breed. She hates to be crated and usually the only time she's in a crate is when they board at the puppysitters. When I'm home she spends most of her time inside, but when I'm gone she's outside on her long chain on my covered front porch where she has a bed with lots of blankets, etc. She loves being outside and likes to keep track of everything going on in the neighborhood. If she's inside too long, she thinks she's missing something. But it's been so cold (for here, anyway) that I just can't stand the thought of her having to be out there all day while I'm at work. Her water bowl froze solid and it's not supposed to get out of the 20's all this week. She won't like it one bit when I put her in that crate tomorrow morning, but at least she will be warm and I won't have to worry about her.

flutterby

Fly away!
It worked all night until 10:30 this morning. Which is good since it got down to -1 last night and was running almost non stop anyway. It came back on at 1:30 this afternoon and has been fine so far. It's not supposed to be as cold tonight, but that's not saying much. heh

My landlord hasn't increased my rent since I've been here. I wanted to avoid emergency rates. If I had been completely without heat, I would have called definitely.

K

Kjs

Even without getting below zero the house gets cold fast when furnace isn't working. been there done that !!

Can you bake? That would warm up the house some. So while you are waiting those hours for it to kick in, bake some cookies, dinner, bread.

Stay warm.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It's 16 here but windchill is negative 9. UGH!

I feel for you, Heather. I'm glad we have the woodburning furnace right now, since it is cheaper than just the regular electric one. But still it's dang cold.

Baking's good. Keeping you in my thoughts that your furnance keeps working till you can get landlord on it.