Friend's child in hospital update: Psychosis_NOS

BusynMember

My friend brought her son home and we talked on the phone. Apparently, they did test him and found so many types of psychosis that they weren't sure what is causing it. It doesn't help that the child is adopted. She knows the birthmother was bipolar, but nothing else about either side of the family tree. She thinks he may actually have schizophrenia. She also adopted his sister, who has problems as well, although they are different. She is thinking of putting her in the hospital too if she acts out violently again because that was the only way to expedite help for her son. She hopes the hospital can help her daughter too.
The Psychiatrist she has been taking the kids to was so off base. He kept saying it was Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and only Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and the kids would never change :sad-very:. The hospital psychiatrist said he saw nothing indicating Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD)--just psychosis and plenty of it. The child jumped from topic to topic, focused on very gory things, and told the doctor 30,000 were killed in a bloody battle at his school and he started to cry. Then a minute later he said HE was going to kill a bunch of kids. He is only seven years old. (Sigh) At least he's on an anti-psychotic now and a new diagnosis, even if it's vague.

TerryJ2

MWM, well, that sounds more promising than what I last heard. I hope the medications help. A lot. Poor kids. Poor mom.
Interesting, how professionals can differ in their opinions so markedly and so vehemently.

Janna

Re: psychiatrists - I'm not surprised. I took Dylan to psychiatrist - Bipolar-not otherwise specified, neuropsychologist - Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified. psychiatrist says, NO AUTISM! Neuro says NO BIPOLAR!

Bahaha, whatever.

I'm glad he got *something*. It's a start. Poor kid. And poor mom having no clue what's going on with her son. I hope the medications help.