Friends in the Path of our latest storm

tiredmommy

Please check in and let us know that you are doing okay with the latest round of snow, ice, rain and power outages.

Kathy813

Staff member
We woke up to a winter wonderland. Yesterday was mostly sleet and freezing rain but it snowed overnight. Now we are above freezing so it is all starting to melt. They are warning about a refreeze overnight so the roads could be bad in the morning. That will determine if we have school tomorrow.

We never lost our power so all in all it wasn't bad for us. I have gained five pounds between this storm and the last one, though. All I do during the time we are trapped indoors is play on the computer and eat.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

So far we still have power but it started to snow again mid morning. Before that it was more like sleet but now we have more lovely big flakes. Billy had to go to work today and in order to get his car out of the yard we had to pour water around it. My steps are sheets of ice because Cory is too lazy to put the salt down. Evidently the salt comes in larger chunks and he has to crush them up. Poor boy. I hope he is the one to fall down them.

Kathy813

Staff member
I just heard that our school district is closed tomorrow. I am really surprised. That will make 7 days that we have missed this month. Most years we don't use any snow makeup days.

DammitJanet

If you are closed then we probably are too. I think I will attempt to get Monkey either tonight or early tomorrow morning. Im sure she is sick to death of being stuck in the house with her brothers...lol.

everywoman

We have had frozen rain both events. This one, even though it did not stick the on house and cars like before, did a number on the trees in my town. Oak trees that are 100's of years old are down. Lots of pine limbs. difficult child's truck had one fall on his truck while he was helping a friend pull a limb off his roof and patch it. It is still bitterly cold, for us. Strong winds. We were without power for about 8 hours, but many in my town do not have power and may not for a week. In my neighborhood, I am one of few with power. I'm beyond ready for spring.

svengandhi

I woke up to white disgust raining down from the sky. Used a FOURTH vacation day this year rather than risk my life. My office in Manhattan closed at 2. I'd have gone in but I was supposed to go to court which is in a bad area where a lot of stores are closed so nobody shovels. I hate winter so much. School was closed again so we now lose one day of spring break. Last year, with Sandy we lost 4 days of winter break, which is next week. At least if it snows next week, the kids aren't in school anyway.

Janet, you are making me sad. I've been thinking of retiring to NC. My major criterion for a retirement locale is no snow.

tiredmommy

Janet~ I hope Billy made it in and home from work. I also hope your steps got treated with salt.

EW~ I hope power is restored to your neighbors quickly. I'm sorry about your town's trees. Most people don't realize how important they are until after an event like this.

Svenganghi~ I can't imagine what Manhattan and the rest of NYC must be like during a storm like this. I suspect you were very wise to stay home.

witzend

It's over 40 degrees out and there is still about 6 inches of snow on the ground. If we could get up the hill that is our driveway and out of the cul de sac and two miles down the windy road with ditches on either side to the main road we might be able to go somewhere, but for now we're stuck. I'm terrified that the snow is going to melt into my garage and crawlspace. We got burned on a snow melt flood in 93.

DammitJanet

Sig, I think I heard that the average snowfall in this area is 2 point something inches. To make it an average they have to include quite a few years. I think I have said before that we havent had much snow in years. I know we havent had any since my dad died in Dec 2010 because I told Monkey that when it snowed it was her grandfather sending her kisses from heaven. I had expected we would at least have a few flurries...lol.

The years since she was born we had two snowfalls but they were pretty light and if we hadnt taken her out the day it happened I would have never been able to take pictures of her in the snow. Here most snow melts in just a few days. Its already melting all over my yard today and Monkey is begging me to go out and play in it before its all gone.

witzend

I've been thinking of retiring to NC. My major criterion for a retirement locale is no snow.

I don't think that it snows very often down here. They're definitely not prepared for it. There are a lot of New Yorkers here because of the banks that are located here. We moved here "for the weather", which actually takes a lot of getting used to when it behaves "normally". The weather has not been our most difficult adjustment. I'd recommend taking a few vacations here before retiring to the South.