From child to adult... the big 18

Discussion in 'Substance Abuse' started by comatheart, Dec 2, 2013.

  1. comatheart

    comatheart Active Member

    My son will turn 18 just days after he gets out of rehab. I know a lot changes (legally) once he's 18.

    Someone recently told me we should ask him to sign... not power of attorney... (I can't remember what it's called) but similar. Something basically allowing us to continue contact with his doctors for a period of time, most specifically his Psychiatrist and hospitals. This sounds like a wonderful idea to me seeing as he's been hospitalized twice in the past 6 months now for Psychosis and attempting suicide. While he is still inpatient, he'll be more likely to sign something like this cause he wants to get out!

    What are your thoughts?? Have you done this? If so, how did you go about it. How long should we ask for? 1 yr, 2 yrs, 5 yrs?
  2. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Legal guardianship? I have this for my twenty year old austic spectrum son. Now HE agreed to it gladly, but I don't know if it's harder to get if the adult child is not happy with the idea. I did have to go to court, but it was no big deal.
  3. Lil

    Lil Well-Known Member

    I have a law degree and it sounds to me like a power of attorney or some kind of medical release form, but he has to be 18 to sign it. Minor's don't have the capacity to do that. I don't know where you live and states differ. I'd see an attorney in your state. Something this simple really should not be very expensive.