Frustrating

unc tarheel

Welcome to the 3rd grade and end-of- grade testing.......(sarcasm)

My son has matured lot over the past year, so emotional/behavior outbursts are to a minimal. That being said, we have to tackle the academic aspect. I believe my son has dyscalculia.

They have be learning rounding the past 3 weeks. We have been going over and over it. Get back his assessment-----he bombed. Most were ridulous mistakes. And now I am frustrated. Does anyone have any ideas on how to tackle this. He has an IEP.

I noticed that the assessment was front and back (1 page), but alot of info on it. He did pretty good on the front page, but then messed up on the second page.

Rannveig

Hi, Tarheel. What's is your son's IEP for? Does it cover all you think it should?

It can be difficult for us not to project our own kids' diagnoses on other people's kids, so thank you in advance for your patience with the following. In my case, I have a son with a form of ADHD that seems to involve -- among other things -- running out of steam on tasks. So if he did well on the first page of something but not the second page, I'd conclude it was the ADHD -- that he just couldn't remain focused long enough to complete the assessment successfully. It's because of this sort of problem that I am going to be asking his school for untimed tests and fewer assigned problems when assessing his mastery of a topic. I will also have to look at the possibility of a stimulant for him. Maybe your son has a cognitive issue similar to my son's. Or maybe not. Regardless, I can say I sympathize with your frustration. I'll be interested to see how the more experienced members here answer your post. Best wishes to you and your son!

unc tarheel

Rannveig,
Thank you. My son also has ADHD, and he also has been diagnosed with sensory integration disorder. We do have fewer assigned problems for him to do at one time.

InsaneCdn

I noticed that the assessment was front and back (1 page), but alot of info on it. He did pretty good on the front page, but then messed up on the second page.
Even on assessments, they can get accommodations. My son was given three days to do a test that the others did in 90 minutes (this would have been grade 3 or 4). They broke it into three pieces, and a resource teacher pulled him from the class to do each piece of it. He did far better this way - it actually demonstrated what he had learned, as opposed to demonstrating his problem writing the test!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Yes, depending on his iep he could even be receiving small groups or one on one for tests. I like Insane's idea of breaking it over a couple of days. Plus, third grade is when they are very first introduced to rounding so it can be difficult as a new concept.