Fun day.....

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've been more than a "little" down over the past 2 weeks so forgive my absence here. Just working on my own emotional/spiritual issues.

Having said that a good friend stopped by here yesterday intending to take me to a movie. I asked her to consider something totally different but fun (for me & I hoped for her - it was).

We ventured out to a local nursery - I'm planting a shade garden on the east side of my home & was looking for a 5 or 6 plants to mix in with the ferns & hostas I will be using from the garden out front. Just color to mix in. I forget all the plants I got but left with a great deal for perennials. I also bought trumpet vine to put in my old oak tree trunk that is rotting out in the center. Rather than paying almost $900 to have it pulled out I'm turning it into a planter. According to a landscape artist the vine will twist around the trunk & it will be covered in flowers all season long.

I found a great kneeler/stool to use with my walker. AND a great pooper scooper that I can use 1 handed.

We got home ~ didn't plant things but my friend J helped me fill all my bird feeders & clean &fill the bird baths. (I stopped during construction.) She also took the time to screw those corncobs onto the squirrel feeder. The wildlife in my yard is now back in balance.

I'm skipping visits (none were planned) with the tweedles today to get out & get those plants in the ground & hopefully dig up, split & transfer hostas & ferns. I love to garden - it's my "Zen" place.

I was so appreciative of my friend changing the plans to something that was a bit more physical for me & a lot more fun in turn.

Andy

Your place sounds awesome! My difficult child and I would love to see it. husband asked if he should saw down a huge bushy tree. He than reminded me it had grown out of a stump - I was shocked it had grown so huge - I had forgotten about the stump.

difficult child also loves to take care of bird feeders to the extent that he is trying to live trap the squirrels and chipmunks that "steal" the bird's food.

The pooper scooper sounds like what we have. It is pretty cool isn't it?

I am glad you are finding time for yourself - gardening and golfing this Summer.

I have not made it down to your world this Summer. Whenever sister in law sets up the NYC trip for difficult child, I will be staying at their place when they are gone a few days. I will look you up then.

donna723

Linda, you have just described what would be my "perfect day" ... wandering through a nursery choosing plants, working in the garden, with a good friend to hang out with! You need a lot more days like that. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

M

ML

What a great day! I'm so glad you were able to spend time and energy on your zen place. I need to find a place like that. Right now I think my bike rides are it.

DammitJanet

I wish I had that kind of green thumb. I dont. I kill living things...lol. I tried to plant two tomato plants and two pepper plants. I killed the pepper plants with too much fertilizer and the tomato plants are all plant and no tomatoes...lol. I cant win.

Maybe I will try to plant small things once at a time.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It sounds so nice. I am happy for you.
That is the one thing I miss about N. Idaho.
I had 3 rotten stumps that I had beautiful hydrangeas growing out of!
Once we move from a rental one day I will start my own garden again...
I just cleaned all of my bird feeders this weekend as well. I love the birds.

Wiped Out

Staff member
What a nice day. I'm in the group that has trouble growing flowers but loves to look at them.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Linda, what a wonderful day you have had with your friend!

I wish I were a poet to sing to you how much I love my little backyard. It is very small compared to the acreage in Maine but we were happily surprised to find that we own the little bit of woods behind our lawn. There I will put in some shade gardens and water for the birds.

We have a patio with a pergola sheltering our table and chairs. One day there will be roses climbing over the structure. We have three large raised beds at the edge of the woods, in these I grow vegetables which whisper to the critters "psstt! come eat us before the gardener gets us!".

We sit outside at dusk, waiting for the bunny, the fox and the three deer to walk by. The fox and the deer move on very fast but the rabbit lingers in the grass and when he holds his head between our eyes and the sunset we can see the light through his ears. We have blue birds who bathe in the pink granite bath. A female humming bird flies around even though we are not providing sugar water.

What more can a human being hope for, or want, but to be able to experience such peace in an earthly paradise? Gardening is like raising children, we put so much love into what we grow and hope it will do well, but in the end, it will grow the way it wants to, not the way we want it to.

He who owns a garden,
However small it be,
Whose hands have planted in it
Flower or Bush or Tree;
He who watches patiently
The growth from nurtured,
Who thrills a newly opened bloom
Is very close to God
- Katherine Edelman, He Who Owns a Garden

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I love poetry ThreeShadows.....you are a poet.

Yesterday I purchased a wagon I can pull if I use my cane - it's a great garden wagon. I can put all my plants, implements & water bottle in it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07180002000P

It works wonderfully though I have to pace myself & haven't found a way to use it with my walker.

I spent 3 hours out this morning ~ now I'm getting caught up on laundry and calls.

This is sooooo Zen, white light whatever. I like it.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Wow, Linda! How do you manage to walk with a cane AND the cart? Is your property all flat? Part of ours is down a slight incline, keeps the HOA nazis from complaining about our veggies.

Gardening is so humbling isn't it? Found this quote:

Adam was a gardener, and God, who made him, sees that
half of all good gardening is done upon the knees.
- Rudyard Kipling

My knees are shot but I'm not giving this up...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Renee, my yard is completely flat & if I only put in my small shovel & hoe along with my garden kneeler I did well today. I'm hoping to find a way to pull it with my walker. All that said pulling is always easier than pushing & I don't load the thing down & it steers very easily.

This is just a tad bigger than one of those Radio Flyer wagons - I just love the sides & such.

I was extremely worn out & in a lot of pain this afternoon but in a small way it felt good ~ humbling.

skeeter

Linda - the trumpet creeper is great for humming birds. But a word of warning, the squirrels will also get the blossoms to eat the middle, at least ours around here do.

Your garden sounds like a wonderful place.