Fun FurBaby Thread, Anyone?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Awww...they rolled in that wonderful perfume so they could bring home the scent of something really YUMMY to the rest of the pack and then guide the pack (ie YOU) to it.

And instead, you are going to wash that yummy scent off of them w

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
One day, shortly after I moved into this apartment, I could find Squeaky absolutely nowhere, and Thomas wasn't talking.

I finished washing my hands and noticed that the light from the fixture over the sink, a long fixture that held 2 flourescent tubes above a plastic grid bottom, looked funny.

I peered up at it, and realized first of all that there was a strange irregular "blob" on the plastic, and second of all, there was the tip of a striped tail hanging over the wooden side of the fixture.

Terrified that Squeaky would either break a tube or fall through the plastic grid, I was also wondering how in hell she got up there, as the fixture is nearly 5 feet directly over the extended vanity and extends the entire length of the vanity as well.

Anyway, I yelled at Squeaky to GTFO of there, which startled her. Startling her caused her to leap 6 feet horizontally from the fixture to the shelf about the hanging rack in the hall closet, where she landed with a resounding thump, still better than 6' off the ground.

At that point I walked away only to hear a scrabbling from the hallway a short while later. I hurried to the vanity (and fixture) to discover Squeaky hanging from the light fixture by her front paws, as she did a pull-up into the fixture.

I've since given up on the battle over the light fixture. So far she hasn't broken anything. I Just have to slap the proper attachment on the Dyson, get up on a stepstool, and vacuum out the fixture every week or so.

Meanwhile, yesterday I got back from picking up medications at Wally world just in time to see Squeaky take a swandive off the top of the bedroom door INTO the light fixture. Another 6' jump with about a 1' drop. Once I got over the heart attack i nearly had as a cat went soaring over my head and landed with an almighty thump, I quit worrying about the lightfixture.

Thomas meanwhile (luckily) confines most of his antics to the ground, though he can get remarkably silly while keeping his feet on the carpet or on me.

InsaneCdn

Meanwhile, yesterday I got back from picking up medications at Wally world just in time to see Squeaky take a swandive off the top of the bedroom door INTO the light fixture. Another 6' jump with about a 1' drop. Once I got over the heart attack i nearly had as a cat went soaring over my head and landed with an almighty thump, I quit worrying about the lightfixture
:rofl:

GN - those cats of yours are going to make me injure myself rolling on the floor. Honestly! What a character.

Lil

I love reading about your furkids - GN, that cat would be in soooo much trouble. I don't do a cat over my head...especially in the kitchen. Ours doesn't do the tables or cupboards...when we're home :cautious:. I just have visions of hair sifting down into my food. I find enough as-is - usually dog, strangely enough. Maybe theirs is the only hair I can see well enough?

I spent the Super Bowl at the emergency vet. :( We have two Bostons - (aren't they awesome Donna?) about 9/10 years old (we forget) and our boy has an eye disorder. He needs surgery and we've been putting it off. Yesterday we noticed one eye being squinted and he yelped when his eye drops were administered. We finally got time for a good look about 5 and didn't like what we saw, so away I went 35 miles to the E-vet. I got lucky and the intern is going to start her ophthalmology residency - so she knows more about eyes and they didn't have to call in the ophthalmologist. It's an infection and when it's cleared up, surgery it is.

My pups are so funny...most of the time being mostly blind doesn't even slow Mac down...even if he walks into walls. He can still manage to find the cat's butt from across the room. o_O Dogs really are the grossest little creatures. LOL!

donna723

Bostons certainly are awesome Lil! They're the resident clowns of the dog world, the comic relief! With a Boston around, you'll never be bored. With three around it's happy chaos all the time. They're happy, healthy, energetic little goofballs, full of fun.

They're tough little guys but their eyes are definitely their weakest part. Their eyes are very prone to injury and disease and an injury that other breeds can heal from can cause a Boston to lose the eye.

Ragan, the 13 year old, has cataracts on both eyes. And her eyes are extremely dry and stay red all the time, no matter how many drops we use. She's 95% blind but gets along just fine in the house. She's still the bratty one. Katy is 11 and now has a noticeable cataract on her right eye. Doesn't slow her down a bit. And Trace, my only boy, had his right eye removed about a week before I adopted him over six years ago. He had been severely abused and the eye injury was just one of many injuries. Too awful to even go in to but when I first got him he only weighed 15 pounds. Now he's 27 pounds of solid muscle! He adapted to the loss of the eye very quickly and it doesn't slow him down at all! In fact he's usually moving so fast that people don't even notice he's missing an eye till he stops running. He's my happy, friendly little personality boy and he's adorable. It just looks like he's winking at you.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Lil, you'd have to CATCH Squeaky first! And trust me, that is NOT easy. Squeaky is my avatar, and as you can see from the picture, she is missing her left eye. She was born blind in that eye, and I had it removed shortly after I rescued her as it was causing her constant infections and pain.

All that insane jumping around is made very interesting as with one eye, Squeaky has no natural distance judgement. Instead, she "vibrates" her head back and forth in order to triangulate on her target and judge distance. She still occasionally blows a jump.

Other than that, her main handicap seems to be occasionally not being aware of where her left front foot is, and wanting to be warned before someone she doesn't trust implicitly touches her on her left side.

In actuality, I warn ALL animals (and people) before I touch them. I consider that to be common courtesy, even though Thomas' usual reaction to being touched is to roll over and wave a set of huge, hairy paws in the air. Squeaky will slap the crap out of you.

Lil

I've been told that our girl, Suzie, may have the beginning of a cataract and that she appears to have had an eye injury we never knew about on the other eye. Her vet said she'd be surprised if her vision isn't impaired. Our boy has a condition where the cornea holds too much fluid and so he basically peers thru heavily frosted glass. He had such good vision when he was younger...he was always the one who'd catch the tiniest treat. :( Makes me sad. When I first noticed his eyes getting cloudy I should have taken him to the vet...but I thought it was cataracts and that it would just have to be dealt with later. Poor guy...maybe we could have saved more of his sight. It'll never come back, but we can stop it from getting worse.

They really are funny pups. Even impaired he tears around the house. They literally don't know how to NOT climb on me! If I have a lap, they' think they need on it. Sometimes I get so TIRED of animals on me! But they are our babies, dorky as they are. :)

donna723

Tell me about it! If I'm on the sofa, Katy will come up and jam herself in next to me as close as she can get. Then she raises herself up till she's sitting there upright like a person, leaning partly against me and partly against the back of the sofa. Then she rests her head on my shoulder and we sit there like that watching TV together.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Squeaky isn't really a lapcat, and her idea of cuddling is more like wandering all over my body purring madly while licking anything and everything she can reach.

Thomas is too big to really fit comfortably in my lap. He likes to either lay on the table between me and my laptop, which is obnoxious, or, when I am in my easy chair, he likes to park one half his body in my lap while draping the other half over the arm of the chair.

We are working on getting him to consistently park the end that eats in my lap, as opposed to the end that farts. Starting to see minimal improvement--in Thomas-placement, as opposed to Thomas gas.

Lil

Our kitty, Boo, doesn't lick - but she rubs her snotty little face on everything! She puts her face right in yours, rubs on your glasses, rubs on your hands - she's as slobbery as the dogs I swear! Her newest place to perch is on the back of my chair where she rubs on my head. lol She loves lap and will climb right on top of the dogs to get there.

donna723

Lil, are your Bostons "burrowers"? Some are more cold natured than others but my Ragan is a natural born burrower. She sleeps with me every night, under the covers. I've actually gotten to the point where I can lift up the covers to let her under without really waking up. I keep a blanket on the sofa and Ragan will be under it, even in the summer. She's my little blanket lump. She can manage to crawl under it and turn herself around until every inch of her is covered snugly, or sometimes with just her nose sticking out if that's the mood she's in.

susiestar

Roll With It
Furbabies are soooo fun!

GN, I am a lover of Maine Coon's too. When I met my hubby he worked at a lab that had a MC living on the property. Few of the employees could get near him even with food in their hands. All my hubby had to do was say his name in a normal speaking voice and he would come running to visit. Drove the owner of the lab nuts - he loathes animals of all kinds {including people}. He wanted the cat gone but his wife and sister threatened him if he ever did anything to get rid of the cat. I got special privileges as hubby's person. This meant I got to pet him and take him for car rides.. We had a deal - he cooperated on car rides and I stopped at Long John Silver for a treat on the way home.

I don't like cats over my head much. Mostly because my Gma had a shower in her basement that had walls that only went up about 6 1/2 feet. If one of her cats was down there while you were showering, she would wait until you had your face in the water and then leap onto your shoulders! Talk about a shock! Esp because I was super skinny then and she had to use her claws to not fall off! It was sort of funny to hear my dad yell every single time he showered when we were visiting - he just could NOT remember to make sure the cats were not in the basement.

Hubby saw a photo on the internet of a cat with his face squished onto the sides of one of those collars for sick cats and making a grumpy face. He could NOT remember why it made him think of Wiz. But back when Wiz was 2, my mom had one of them and Wiz found it. He had great fun playing with it and smushing his face into the clear plastic side - and he was doing this when Hubby came in from work, lol!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, I didn't have a shower at the trailer up North, so Squeaky had never seen one until I moved into the apartment.

A few months ago, she got curious as to exactly what mom was doing naked behind that plastic curtain.

So, she jumped in to check things out. Whoo! Did she leave in a hurry! Luckily, she managed to not pull down or tear up the shower curtain during her (rapid) exit, but she left wet spots all over the carpet and furniture as she ran frantically around the apartment in an attempt to run away from the water that had soaked through her fur.

Thomas isn't fond of water, but being a long-haired cat, and a bit stiff with age and arthritis, has needed the occasional "butt-bath". I can't fit all of him in the sink, but can manage to do a sitz bath on him if needed. He just :censored2:es and moans about the whole experience.

donna723

My dogs are very curious about the shower too but only because they think I disappear in there. They don't like it if they don't know where I am every minute, especially Katy. When I'm here alone I leave the bathroom door open a little so she can come in. At least once while I'm showering I'll see her cute, smooshy little face peeking at me from the side of the shower curtain, just making sure I'm in there, then she goes on about her business. Just checking.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When Gryphon, my German Shepherd dog, was still on the planet, he used to love to drink out of the bathtub when I was in it soaking. He also would lean over the side of the tub and literally soak his head.

When he was a pup, he'd jump in the tub or shower with me, but luckily quit doing that as an adult. 95lbs of GSD taking a flying leap into a bathtub full of water and human would've been a bit much.

Lil

Lil, are your Bostons "burrowers"?

Not so much. They like being warm, that's for sure. If you have a blanket over your lap they get under it at floor level and fight. That's fun. :p Mac doesn't mind being covered up, but neither really try to get under covers.

They do, however, LOVE space heaters. We keep one in the living room and they snuggle up to it SO CLOSE. I swear, I expect to smell dog hair burning - they LITERALLY lean up against it! I don't know how they stand it!

Esp because I was super skinny then and she had to use her claws to not fall off!
Yow!!! LOL! I can't even imagine.

donna723

My Bostons are also sunbeam lovers. Never known one that wasn't. At my house if there's a sunbeam, there's a dog napping in it. There's a sunbeam on my kitchen floor every morning and usually Ragan is in it. And as it moves slowly across the floor, she moves with it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Because my patio sliders face North and I also have my upstairs neighbor's balcony over my patio, I don't really get sunbeams in here.

My "kids" are heat seekers, but they tend to cuddle up either on the comforter on my bed, or on one of the Army-issue poncho liners I always have lying around. (Called a "woobie" these days for reasons unbeknownst to me).

If Thomas is feeling tolerant and Squeaky isn't feeling b!tchy, they'll cuddle up together in the easy chair.

LMack

Please, oh please, keep posting all these stories!! I am currently living overseas WITHOUT my 2 fur babies. We are traveling non-stop and decided it was better for them to have them live with a family member so they wouldn't be kenneled all the time. I am so lost without them. My human children are grown and out of the nest and the loss of my dogs tips me over the edge sometimes. Reading all your wonderful posts about the animal antics is cathartic as I can completely relate to the chaos and warm fuzzies these creatures bring to our lives. I am not sure I will ever return to being "mom" to my pups as they are happy and pampered by my brother and sister-in-law. They are hinting regularly that we will not get them back... However, I still consider myself human mom to a slightly wonky terrier/pom mix named Louie Armstrong and his queen, her royal highness shih tzu/lord knows what else mix Dizzy Gillespie.

Keep posting your stories!!