Fun game that helps end world hunger

Kathy813

Staff member
That's a title for you. It sounds like something a beauty contestant would play. An English teacher friend shared this site with me. It helps improve your vocabulary and each correct word earns a donation of 20 grains of rice.

Play the game at www.freerice.com

The highest level I reached was 44.

Here's what some newspapers said about freerice:

'What if just knowing what a word meant could help feed hungry people around the world? Well, at FreeRice it does . . . the totals have grown exponentially.'

- The Washington Post

'Web game provides rice for hungry . . . FreeRice went online in early October and has now raised 1 billion grains of rice [by November 9].'

- BBC News

'Addictive, yes. But . . . each correct answer results in the donation of rice to help feed the hungry around the globe. Perhaps that qualifies the game as a good addiction . . . one with redeeming qualities, something that's, oh, didactic and edifying.'

- Kansas City Star

'People from all walks of life and from around the globe have written in to express their appreciation for the game . . . Secretaries admit to playing it during boring business meetings.'

- Christian Science Monitor

~Kathy

Sue C

Thanks for this worthwhile game. I just played for about 20 minutes and got to level 35. I donated 2,500 grains of rice. Wonder how many cups that equals??

Sue

Kathy!

It's addictive!

HA! Until I read through the FAQ? I thought I was trying to reach 100 and doing a terrible job!!!

I love this!

I bookmarked it.

Great site ~

Barbara