Fun Kitchen Recipe/Idea

susiestar

Roll With It
My husband is doing a lot of the cooking lately. He is really enjoying most of it. Today he surprised me with an omelet he cooked in a ZIPLOC!! :thumb:

Take 2 eggs, cheese, veggies, whatever you want in an omelet and put them in a FREEZER ziploc type bag, quart size. Bring a big pot of water to a boil and put the sealed freezer ziploc in the water. :goo: Boil for 10-13 minutes (seems long to me, but the eggs are moist and yummy!!).

You have to use a freezer bag because the regular ziplocs are only safe to 195 degrees. Boiling temp is 212 degrees, so you can imagine the mess if you use a regular storage bag. :slap:

I know you can make omelettes in a pan, this is just a fun way to do it with the kids.

Enjoy!

Susie :ghost:

AllStressedOut

This is the easiest way to make omeletes! I am never good at flipping one. I think I saw this on the Food Network with the Barefoot Contessa. She does this like a buffet type thing when she has overnight company. She sets out all the goodies you could want for an omelette and lets guests fill their bags as they wish then she boils them. I love it! Easy and less messy!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie

This is an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing. A really good way for Travis to make his omelettes without making a royal mess. :thumb:

meowbunny

Something tells me we're having omelettes for breakfast tomorrow. I hate making them cause I can't flip 'em to save my life. Thank you so much for the tip and thank husband for discovering it.

donna723

I used to make them in a glass pie pan in the microwave and that worked pretty well.

But I never thought of boiling them in a plastic bag! To tell the truth, I never knew you could put a freezer bag in boiling water - you'd think it would melt! I'll have to try this.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Susie,

We've done omelets this way while camping - especially a group camp. Get a couple of big pots of water boiling & let people put together their omelets.

It worked well & the clean up was so easy. I don't use this method as frequently here - I always like to see how I can do the "flip" here.