Fun Recipe thread for those who want or need diversion for Easter weekend

Tiapet

Old Hand
I was just sitting here thinking that all I have to do is dye some eggs later on tonight. Dinner is tomorrow, which is no big deal. I'm always looking at new recipes and I have some recipes that I cook on a regularish basis that are quite different (I think) that are out of the norm so I thought that maybe there are some of you who might enjoy a diversion and sharing.

My first one is a family recipe. Not sure of origin, just know that it started with my grandmother and we've always known it as German Potato Hot Potato Salad so that's what I'll call it.

German Hot Potato Salad

5 lbs potatoes - peeled and cut up into 1/2" cubes (need to be tiny bite size) we have family of 5 and like it so go through this much. You can adjust to your family size. When the family was larger we've done 10 pounds.

2 lbs bacon - fried, bacon fat reserved (we cheat and lay out over cooling racks that are on cookie sheets and bake in 400 degree oven so you can cook a lb at a time and fat drains off easily, just be sure to turn once halfway through cooking time for even cooking)

lettuce - depends on how much each person will like, we tend to go through about 1/2 a head for 5 of us

10 eggs - hard boiled, peeled, still warm (family of 5 we use 2 per person)

1 onion - diced

red wine vinegar

Boil potatoes to just until tender. Be careful not to over cook or they will be mush. Once potatoes are done you can begin assembling the salad but it is done by the plate. First start by layering lettuce on bottom to the amount you like, then place layer of hot potatoes, then take and slice eggs in layer over potatoes (egg slicer works great), then sprinkle on onion (or omit if you don't like onion), then sprinkle on several pieces of bacon crumbled to form final layer. Drizzle a little of the reserved bacon fat over top then sprinkle some red wine vinegar to your taste (best done at table). Yummo! :)

Next recipe is something I recently found pinned to a pinterest board and tried. We loved it! We omitted the black olives and green peppers though and I doubled the recipe the first time around. I made one pan with pepperoni and one with out as youngest difficult child can't have it. I made a quadruple recipe just today in a big roasting pan as "lunch". We've used really hard baguette type bread with it and home made regular white bread that oldest difficult child made. Personal preference went towards the home made bread! I'm sure you could use many things to dip. Have fun and enjoy it. :)

Pizza Dip

• 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated
  • 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • 1 cup pizza sauce
====================================

• 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded/grated
  • 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated
  • 2 ounces pepperoni, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons green pepper, sliced
  • 2 tablespoons black olives, sliced
[h=5]Directions[/h]
  • Mix the cream cheese, sour cream mayonnaise, mozzarella and parmigiano reggiano and spread it across the bottom of a pie plate.
  • Spread the pizza sauce on top and sprinkle on the rest of cheese, pepperoni, green pepper and olives.
  • Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the sides are bubbling and the cheese cheese has melted and turned golden brown on top, about 20 minutes.

Here is another family tradition that only my mom can make (and she makes a HUGE pot when she does), though I have to admit I have just never tried but I don't think I could at this point do to limitations. Oldest probably could as she dearly loves it and I've been teaching her many things in the kitchen so she has those skills for life. It is a Pennsylvania (German) Dutch.

Chicken Bot Bie (Yes that is the real name and spelling)

3 1/2 pounds Chicken (my mom always used chicken backs for this to keep costs way down)
4 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 Medium Onion, diced
1/3 cup Diced Celery

Noodles
1 Egg
2 cups Flour
2 1
/2 tablespoons Milk or Cream

Bot Boi Noodles
1. Make a mound of flour on a smooth clean working surface. Make a divot in the top with your
fist (to place the eggs into)
2. Wisk the eggs a little to combine them and then add to the flour.
3. Work the eggs into flour with a fork working from the center of the mound outward. Add the
milk or cream as you are working the dough.
4. Once the dough is consistent, add flour or water as needed to make sure that it isn't too sticky.
You want a soft but not sticky noodle dough.
5. Roll the dough out to a sheet about 1/8th of an inch thick.
6. Cut the dough into 2 inch squares with a knife or pastry cutter.

Chicken Broth
1. Cook the chicken in two quarts of water with some salt and the onions until it is completely
cooked and tender. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface.
2. Remove the meat and bones from the broth and set aside.
3. Add the potatoes to the broth and bring it to a boil.
4. Continue to cook until the potatoes are tender.
5. While the potatoes are cooking, separate the meat from the bones and discard the skin and
bones.
6. Add noodles to the boiling broth one at a time so that they do not stick together.
7. Cover and boil for about 20 minutes.
8. Return meat to the broth and cook until it is warm.
9. Serve hot.

Another recipe that my mom always did as a treat was cream puffs. Not for those that have sore hands or arms!

Cream Puffs

Puffs
1/2 c. butter
1 c. boiling water
1 c. sifted flour
1/4 tsp. salt
4 eggs

Filling
1 12oz container Cool Whip or store brand
1 pkg french vanilla instant pudding mix

Mix these together in a bowl

Melted chocolate drops, semi-sweet chips, or powdered confectioners sugar for top

Melt butter in boiling water. Add flour and salt, cook, stirring constantly until it forms a ball that won't separate. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Put through pastry tube, making small blobs for cream puffs or shape 3/4" wide, 4" long for eclairs. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to dry.

Once dry and completely cool, cut in half and take tops off. Scoop gooey insides out of puff and the slight little bit from "cap" (lid). Fill each puff with coolwhip mixture. Replace tops. Drizzle chocolate on top of each puff or sprinkle confectioners sugar over each if desired.

Hope everyone enjoys these recipes and maybe one of them might be something new! ;)

Wiped Out

Staff member
The German Potato Salad sounds good and I don't usually like it. I'm making a new ham recipe this year so I'll post it tomorrow if it turns out:)

donna723

I LOVE German potato salad but I don't make it very often. When I do make it though, I do it a little differently, more of a sweet & sour thing. I never had it with the eggs in it but that sounds really good. I very rarely use recipes or exact amounts but the way all my old German relatives did it ... have the warm sliced potatoes standing by while you make the dressing. Fry the bacon until it's crisp, then take it out and crumble it. Then cook the onions in the remaining bacon grease, take them out and put them with the crumbled bacon - I use sliced green onions because it's prettier. Add about a tablespoon of flour to the remaining bacon grease to make sort of a roux, cooking it gently for a few minutes. Then add about a tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of vinegar and some salt and pepper and stir it until the sugar is dissolved. If it's a bit too thick you can add a spoonful or so of water. Mix the crumbled bacon and the cooked onions back in with this, then pour it over the hot sliced potatoes and mix it up well. This is WONDERFUL!

A lot of people who say they don't like German potato salad have never had the real thing. It's supposed to be served hot. A friend and I were talking about it last weekend and she was saying how she only had it once but she just hated it, how nasty and awful it was. She had it at her mother-in-laws house. She had bought CANNED German potato salad (bleeech!) and she just opened up the can, plopped it out in a bowl, and served it cold! Now THAT sounds bad!

Just for the heck of it, this is the recipe for the super-easy "fake cheesecake" pie that I've become so addicted to! Get a pre-made graham cracker pie crust. They usually come in two different sizes - this recipe fills up the larger size. This only takes a few minutes to do. Soften an 8 oz. package of cream cheese, then beat in one cup of powdered sugar. I keep beating it for a while to get it a little lighter and you can add a tsp. of vanilla if you want to but not really necessary. Then just fold in one 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip! That's it! Put it in the crust and chill it for an hour or two so you can cut it. You can eat it plain or do anything that you want to with it. Put a can of any flavor of pie filling you like over the top. Or top it with fresh sliced strawberries or peaches or fresh blueberries. One small container of blueberries will cover the top nicely. Or you can mix the sliced fruit or blueberries in with the mix, but the extra juice coming out of the strawberries might soften it a bit.

chocolate covered pretzels or marshmellows, potato chips or dried fruit.

Put 1 bag of chocolate wafers from Michaels in a glass bowl for 90 seconds.

Mix it up, it's totally melted

Dip anything you want in there and put it on parchment or wax paper.

Wait about 20 minutes, eat or wrap up.