Fun thread about your high school days/daze

BusynMember

I like these threads sp thought I would start anotjer one and see if it takes off. Thanks for theideas, Old Hand. You rock!

1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school?

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification?

3. Did you do well in school?

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved?

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other?

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Dont want to say?

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him?

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else?

BusynMember

1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school? (Very big. Almost 900 kids in the Freshman to Senior classes. Close to 4,000 kids in all.)

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification? (No classification)

3. Did you do well in school? (Not academically. Learning disabled and school made me very nervous.)

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved? (A little of both. Did not get into trouble, but had rebellious instincts towards following peer behavior and refused to follow rules I felt were silly.)

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other? (Dated a lot, but preferred boys from not my high school. Was quiet in high school...not popular or unpopular. Stuck to myself and three friends)

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Dont want to say? (No drugs. No alcohol. No sex until marriage. Yes, i was the only one I know who waited, but also got married at 20)

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him? (I will never forget him. He was the only reason I didnt cut school more often. Crazy about him and named my son after him, although my husband didnt know. Never dated him. Was in awe of him. He was my rock star.)

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else? (I was a very depressed teenager with high anxiety and no self esteem except for knowing that boys found me pretty. I did have some fun, but lots of angst too and heartbreak (boys would dump you when you wouldnt even let them touch your boob) and my mother did not like me so home was not fun. Neither was school since I struggled so hard. I stopped trying. I did enjoy hanging out. Had no interest though in school functions, including prom).

Pink Elephant

You're so sweet, SWOT! Thank you! :)

1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school? It was big, with three grades (10, 11, and 12). I was active in sports as well as a member of the Yearbook Committee for two years, so did a lot of interacting with many

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification? None. I hung with a handful of down to earth peers, and we did most everything together. We were all popular (as in everyone pretty much knew us), but not so overly that anyone was able to label us under one specific group

3. Did you do well in school? I performed average, excelling at Science and Socials, oh, and Foods and Nutrition

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved? Well-behaved and straight. Didn't do drugs, didn't hang out with anyone that did, I did smoke cigarettes, and I did occasionally party, but nothing outside of that of what normal well-adjusted teens do at that age. Totally mature and responsible

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other? Popular and well liked, because I respected everyone, no matter what walk of life they came from or how they dressed or looked, and that helped separate me from all of the shallow people who adopted their friends on the merits of money, popularity, and looks and appeal

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Dont want to say? No drugs (ever, never), even to this day, and yes, had sex with a love, prior to meeting my husband, but definitely didn't sleep around like some girls I knew did

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him? I don't really, but I remember being madly in love with the Hardy Boys, and come to think of it, a whole slew of others! LOL!

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else? They were fun, because I was lucky to be involved with quality people, and of course that always makes a big difference as to what path you take and how well you maintain your course

What an awesome topic, SWOT! Love it!

KTMom91

1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school? We had close to 4,000 in our school.

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classification, other classification? I don't know! I wrote for (and was editor of) the school literary magazine, but got in trouble every so often because I was immensely BORED.

3. Did you do well in school? Yes, but had I studied I could have done better

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved? More on the rebellious side

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other? Relatively popular

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Don't want to say? Is the statute of limitations up yet?

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him? Yes, yes, no

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else? All of the above, and then some. You couldn't pay me to go back and do it again, though.

BusynMember

Thanks for answering.

Old Hand, our class was so big nobody knew everyone. We were grades 9-12 and each seperate grade (9, 10, 11, 12) had close to 900 kids. We pulled kids in from four suburbs of Chicago. I would have liked a small school better, I am sure. I was a writer and loved acting and singing but had no interest in doing either for my high school. Very distant. Used to sit in the back of classes of 30 kids and write stories on notebook paper or put my head down and even close my eyes. I have always been a bit of an introvert, although could not say I was shy. You cant like to be on stage in front of crowds and be shy. I just was not interested in the slew of cliques at my school. Plus I liked boys better than girls and hated girl drama and back biting. Still dont like drama.

Funny how we all grew up so differently.

Depression also made me less friendly. I really relate to many of the kids written about here, only I tried hard to get help and I didnt use drugs. I stick around here not so much because of my kids. My kids are fine now. I stick around because I can personally relate.

Pink Elephant

Thanks for answering.

Old Hand, our class was so big nobody knew everyone. We were grades 9-12 and each seperate grade (9, 10, 11, 12) had close to 900 kids. We pulled kids in from four suburbs of Chicago. I would have liked a small school better, I am sure. I was a writer and loved acting and singing but had no interest in doing either for my high school. Very distant. Used to sit in the back of classes of 30 kids and write stories on notebook paper or put my head down and even close my eyes. I have always been a bit of an introvert, although could not say I was shy. You cant like to be on stage in front of crowds and be shy. I just was not interested in the slew of cliques at my school. Plus I liked boys better than girls and hated girl drama and back biting. Still dont like drama.

Funny how we all grew up so differently.

Depression also made me less friendly. I really relate to many of the kids written about here, only I tried hard to get help and I didnt use drugs. I stick around here not so much because of my kids. My kids are fine now. I stick around because I can personally relate.
Holy smokes, after reading yours and KT's, posts, the high school I attended was smaller or medium sized. Everyone knew everyone, but then again that sort of comes about through living in smaller communities and towns.

I, too, have always been an introvert, and as far as crowds go, no thank you. Like yourself, I want to remain here in hopes of supporting those who need it, even though all of my kids are settled and don't suffer from any sort of troubling behaviour, etc.

These Watercooler conversations are chicken soup for my soul, and I'm hoping they are an additional outlet for many others, too. What I'm hoping to achieve by posting the things I do in the Watercooler, is that some will sidestep the problems and troubles they are dealing with, drop-by and visit the Watercooler, and let go of the daily slog they're inundated with. Something different to look forward to instead of always feeling weighted-down with woes and grief.

Lil

Tiny. There were literally 17 kids in my graduating class. About 200 students K thru 12. Senior year I was yearbook and newspaper editor. So I was active then.

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification?

I guess I was considered a brain...but the funny thing is I graduated 5th out of 17! None of the top 4 were teased for being brainy. Go figure.

See above.

I think I was generally well behaved. I did a few rebellious things, smoking in the girls room, got in a fight or two (not my fault though), I took a little airplane bottle of booze to school once, I had a screaming fight once with my HomeEc teacher and called her a B***h as I slammed out of the room. She didn't report me or do anything except find a reason to fail me...because it was TOTALLY her fault. She hated me for some reason and was literally talking to my friends about how I was a bad daughter to my parents and I confronted her between classes about it.

Neither. 17 kids! There weren't a lot of popular kids - but I wasn't unpopular either.

I did try smoking pot...didn't do a thing for me and I never did it again. I did drink; we all did. Not much else to do in a town that size. lol Sex? Nope. There was a time after graduation when I declared myself the oldest living virgin in town.

I didn't date in high school. I did kind of hook-up with a guy a few times - but he's dated two of my friends before me. Not a lot of people to choose from after all. lol

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else?

I'd say my teen years were about average...fun, insecure, angsty, drama-filled, and generally okay.

BusynMember

Lil...i would have done so much better in a small school. Sonic and Jumper both did and now that Jumper is getting married and we are paying for a house down payment she is only looking at small towns in aticipation of her future childrens school. The caring at both small schools my kids went to cant be duplicated in a big school. I am sure my academics would have been so much better. I had a high IQ verbally and was creatively gifted and math would have been doable with teacher concern and help.

I think kids get very lost in the midst of hundreds of students unless they have top notch social skills and self confidence. You are just a number.

Lil

i would have done so much better in a small school.

Actually, probably not in one as small as mine. We weren't equipped to deal with anyone with learning disabilities really. We did have one kid who was mentally disabled in some manner - back then of course, they just labeled everyone "retarded"...and main-streamed them as best they could. She was just held back year after year and I'm sure they had her in special classes of some kind, but we had no really decent program to help kids who needed special attention. I only really remember her because we let her walk with our class in cap and gown at graduation because she was 21 and was no longer going to go to school and she was given some sort of certificate by the school.

Of course, she wasn't just Learning Disability (LD) with a high IQ otherwise. I'm sure we must have had some of those that just did poorly on the written work and that was that...they'd have just been assumed to not be a good student.

My school actually almost lost accreditation at one point and had to add a foreign language to keep it. That was my junior year, so I managed to get in a couple of years of Spanish in high school.

So, yeah, a smaller school would likely have been better, but bigger than mine. We were just too small and too poor to help special needs kids.

ahhjeez

1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school? Medium

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification? Stoner

3. Did you do well in school? Not so much my freshman year, but junior and senior year I had A's and B's.

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved? Rebellious

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other? Neither I guess. I had friends in school, but the majority of my friends were older and did not go to our school. I'm still friends with my best friend of 40 years. : )

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Dont want to say? Not so much drugs (a little bit) but a lot of drinking. Way, way too much drinking. And sex. But to be fair I married him and we've been together 30 years. : )

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him? Married him.

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else? Fun.

1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school. Medium size school, I was very active in school activities. President of dance team, student council, yearbook staff photographer,
Spanish club, academic decathlon

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification? No Classification

3. Did you do well in school? Yes

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved? Well-behaved

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other? I was not part of the popular group, but I knew most people in the school because of my involvement in various school activities.

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Dont want to say? I was boring, a good girl

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him? Yep, we dated in high school, got engaged at 19, went away to college together and married after graduation. We will have been together 30 years next year.

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else? My mother and brother both had untreated Borderline (BPD). I was the substitute mom, so I was home as little as possible. I hid in my room as much as possible when I was home.

AppleCori

I loved the very small, rural high school I went to for 9th and 10th grades.

I was in Spanish Club, Drill Team, played volleyball, basketball, track, Science Club, etc. Anything to be out of the house!

I don't remember any particular designations. I think everyone was accepted as far as I remember. No one was pigeonholed into a group. We all have lunch period at the same time, but they would stagger the classes let out so as not to cause a long lunch line. The lower grades went first, so I got my lunch and sat with my girlfriends, then when my boyfriend got out of class and got his lunch, I would sit with him and the older kids at the "couple's" table.

I did well in school and had an awesome boyfriend. He was a football player/ all around sports guy and a math/science geek who bought me a carnation every Friday (they were sold by a group to raise money, I believe during football season), and I got a different colored one every time, until I had gotten them all. Sometimes more than one. He was older than me and had a car, so he drove me home from school and I didn't have to ride the bus.

I remember a peculiar thing about that school--some couples were thought of as couples, even by the teachers. Like they were almost assured of getting married. When my math teacher would get frustrated by my questions, she would often tell me to go ask Mike for help. He was in his math class, too, and I remember many a time I would go knock on the door to his classroom and ask for him and the teacher would just let him help me with my work.

I don't remember any drugs in the school, though there probably were a few.

I had a lot of fun as a teen.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
1. Was your high school, big/medium/small and were you active in the school? freshman year I was in Texas and my graduating class was around 750. Moved to Ohio and graduated with 70 other kids. Not terribly active.

2. Were you a jock, prep, greaser, freak, hippie, goth, brainiac, geek, nerd, no classication, other classification? I was an "outcast" - I hung with the Dungeons & Dragons crowd.

3. Did you do well in school? Not as well as I could have.

4. Were you rebellious or well behaved? Enh, a bit of both.

5. Were you popular, unpopular, neither, other? Not popular per se but everyone knew everyone.

6. Drugs? Sex? Nothing? Dont want to say? Sex - I was a bad girl. But I didn't do half of what my reputation said I did!

7. Remember your first crush? Did you date him? Marry him? Yes, I do remember Jesse. No dates at all, and I lost track of him after Freshman year.

8. Were your teen years fun, insecure, torturous, quiet, frustrating, anything else? Insecure and horrid. I'd NEVER go back.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Medium

Freak

What classes I could avoid bullying long enough to take, very. I basically quit taking classes my sophomore year, and dropped out at 16 in fear of my life (I was thrown through a plate glass window by 4 jocks. Luckily I was wearing a leather jacket, had long hair, and was wearing a leather drover's hat. I aced the GED and nearly aced the ACT

Just wanted to be left to be myself.

popular with my own set. Despised by everyone else.

Plenty o' drugs, cigarettes. Very little sex, contrary to what was believed of freaks.

Yes. I dated him. Many years later, she transitioned, and she and I are friends on Facebook. I am also on cautiously friendly terms with- the second guy I dated, and I married the third one.

Torturous. I used to have Columbine-type dreams, carried a trench knife (and knew how to use it), and bear permanent and severe mental and emotional scars from the bullying I went through starting in jr high school when we moved from Chicago to the cheap seats of a wealthy suburb. I was literally left psychologically crippled by it.