Fun thread: Pet peeves...have one or some?

BusynMember

I thought of a few.

Families who scapegoat one member.

People who ask adoptive parents if they have any children "of your own." ( This may be my biggest pet peeve)

People who say "it wasn't like that" when you share a memory. (It WAS for me, Jack, or I wouldn't have said it).

People who complain about the way they are but don't do anything about it so that you hear the same complaint over and over again with nothing ever getting better.

BusynMember

Pet peeves usually involve things others do that bug us, but it doesn't mean we hate them or even know them. Hate is a strong word usually relating to those we know well who may have volated us. A pet peeve isn't personal and leaves our mind quickly.

That's how I feel at least. I am sure things I do annoy some people but they don't hate me for it.

Sam3

Pet peeves usually involve things others do that bug us, but it doesn't mean we hate them or even know them. Hate is a strong word usually relating to those we know well who may have volated us. A pet peeve isn't personal and leaves our mind quickly.

That's how I feel at least. I am sure things I do annoy some people but they don't hate me for it.

That's my deadpan humor at work.

But per your definition, from now on, my kid's handle on this forum will be changed from the much too lengthy "my Difficult Child" to the snappier, "Peeve"

Tomorrowtoday

1. People who smoke pot outside. I have an anaphylactic allergy and can't go outside for 3 or more days after exposure

2. Extremely cold weather where I can't walk 5 minutes without fainting.

3. Extremely hot weather. Same reason.

4. People who smoke in the entrance of a store. Yeah, don't worry. I just LOVE the extra flavoring on my green peppers, ya jerk.

5. People who glare at mothers whose toddlers are throwing a tantrum instead of realizing the child's mom is a human being and either offering help or giving her some freaking privacy in her moment of stress.

6. People who have to price check every item in their cart against coupons, apps, flyers....and the cart has like 53 items in it. And I have to pick the kids up in ten minutes. Yeah, that's cool, I can wait.

7. Skinny girls who think they can give me advice about weight loss. Honey I've lost more weight three times over than you have on your entire body. Why don't I give YOU some advice?

8. People who make obvious observations about my looks. "Your eyes are yellow" "Your hair is so long!" "You have big boobs"....Yup, I've lived in this body for 37 years. I stare in a mirror every morning and wonder when Casting replaced the hot sexy young thang with the crypt keeper and even pre orange juice I am aware of what I actually look like. But hey, thanks for the update!

9. "You're attractive for a..." ethnic girl. Old lady. Young woman. Snob. Im not attractive, just almost attractive enough for you to forget you hate me and everyone like me. Almost.

10. People who talk out both sides of their mouth. "I'm not racist! I'm just saying most of those immigrants were black!" "Im not sexist! I'm just saying that skirt makes you look like a future rape victim!"

11. People who blurt embarrassing things about me to whoever will listen so they can feel big and controlling. It was very fun attending a church for a year and then having a guest minister point at me and say "the Lord is Good! Look, there is tomorrow, she lived on the streets (true) was a prostitute (untrue) and has no education (completely false) yet she has risen above!" Also super fun having a band pull out at the last minute by sending a group message to myself and all of my colleagues "I can't play this event because I was your son's social worker (11 years ago) and it would be a conflict of interests"

12. "Do you think if I was prettier he'd stop...(cheating, beating, doing drugs)"....yeah totally. His extreme mental health issues would just melt away if only your butt were smaller. How dare your big butt displace temporal reality so much that it turned a kind loving man into a drug addicted sociopath?

13. Faking mental disorders to get out of things. "I can't babysit because I have anxiety issues!!" "Darn. When I said babysit I meant watch over my hot cousin while he's drinking" ....anxiety instantly cured.

14. Constantly having to tell others how great you are. Like when I'm watching the food channel and someone is like "I've cooked for celebrities, I've cooked for Michelin star restaurants, I've cooked for space aliens ON THEIR SHIP!!! Just cook the food. I'm just here to stare at the delicious food, and don't really care if you served pate to the Queen or a dog last weekend, as long as you can make it now.

15. Parents who hit their normal kids in public, for acting out in the smallest way. If I don't get to hit my son while he's screaming, kicking me, and yanking things off the shelf to throw at me, you shouldn't be repeatedly striking a child repeatedly for whining that her feet hurt.

16. Narcissist parents. The ones who steal food out of their own children's mouths and roll their eyes every time you talk about their kid.

17. Liars who blame me for catching them, and then act all angry and hurt when it's obvious they're trying to sell me on the lie

18. Really long lists.

19. People speak only in commercials and quotes from TV shows.

20. Roommates who go to bed early and wake up at like 2am just to make an amount of noise no one human can make.

21. Clingy roommates

22. People who have seen my Instagram and fangirl/fanboy out and forget that @catniagara is an actual human who really wants to get out of here right now.

23. Kids who crawl into my bed and have to lay on my legs instead of pretty much anywhere else. Especially when they have lice.

24. Parents who yell at their kids at the table because I guess they think screaming aids digestion.

25. Lists with more than 25 points.

26. People who smoke in the doorway of the cancer ward forcing patients to walk through a gauntlet of smoke on their way to chemo.
Especially if they work there!

BusynMember

Wow. Sounds as if you have had a very hard life. This is a public forum and if you avator is a real picture, you may want to change it and by the way you are very pretty.

I know about the people who proudly proclaim "I am not a racist" and don't mean it. My kids are not white and I don't find most people have to declare that they are not racists. To me, saying it is a red flag. Actions speak. Words are just noise. Why do you feel the need to declare it?

And I can't stand smoke either, pot or cigarette. I cross the street if someone is outdoors smoking because even outside the smoke burns my throat and I choose to be smoke free. I don't think smokers realize that smoking outside doesnt stop the toxic affects or that there are even bad toxic affects at all. I am glad smoking is pretty much banned in buildings. Some smokers, before this, were very inconsiderate.

I try not to make it look like I am crossing the street because of the smoker as it is their personal decision to ingest cancer causing smoke. But I won't ingest it. Nor can you smoke in my house. My close family are all non smokers of cigarettes. One smokes pot sometimes but would never in my place.

I hope you share more about you and your situation.

Love and hugs.

Last edited:

ahhjeez

I thought of another. This one frosts both my husband and myself. My son is an only child (as am I) and I've had people say they'd never have only children because it's selfish, lonely for the kid, he won't socialize, kids need siblings etc. etc. Or when people say "just the one?" My husband and I always side eye each other. LOL.

Hopeful97

I haven't read all the responses, but I agreed with the ones I did. I am just going to state 1 of many LOL

I can't stand it when someone speeds up goes around you and ends up right in front you at a light a few blocks later.

KTMom91

Oh, yeah..."You just have the one child?" Yep, I could afford to feed the one by myself, knowing her father was unmotivated when it came to things like working or paying his child support consistently.

And though my stepsons were grown when Hubby and I got married, I still love them as my own kids, and the grands are my grands, too. I get annoyed at the surprised, "Oh, when did Miss KT have a baby?"

Pink Elephant

Courtesy of a newly started thread conversation I just posted... ruining a perfectly fresh new dishcloth on the stove element while washing down the top after cooking! I loathe old-fashioned stoves for that one reason alone. Seems the cloth always catch or snag on one of the sharp element supports underneath. My next stove will have a glass top.

Pink Elephant

SOT. I have an electric stove, but with those old black ring-type elements. Absolutely loathe it. The baskets under the elements get stained and dirty, and the element tops look unsightly. There will be change when it's time for a new one. :)

AppleCori

My next stove will be old-fashioned gas (but with the igniter, not the old ones you had to strike a match and light)....

I have the glass-top electric, and don’t care for it, though cleaning is easier than the ones with the pans.

Pink Elephant

Apple. How I love gas ranges. If I had the right kitchen for one, I'd definitely strive to own one, but not only is our kitchen too small, it doesn't have the layout or design for such a range. I envy you. :)

AppleCori

Apple. How I love gas ranges. If I had the right kitchen for one, I'd definitely strive to own one, but not only is our kitchen too small, it doesn't have the layout or design for such a range. I envy you. :)

Why would a small kitchen have to have an electric range instead of gas?

What type of kitchen do you have?

I do have a fairly large eat-in kitchen with a built-in desk where my daughter does her online classes and her schoolwork, so it is really a great layout for us. It really could use an update, though.

Pink Elephant

A really small, outdated kitchen. A nice gas range/stove just wouldn't fit in décor wise. It would look out of place.

My dream has always been to have a large, open kitchen, with quartz countertops, modern cupboards and lighting, one of those over the stove/range hoods done in stainless, and all cheerfully painted in an inviting yellow or pale green or blue colour. Would be nice, too, to have a quartz or fancy tile backsplash, too, maybe even with some accent lighting under the cupboards like I see on home shows.

To me that would be a kitchen where a nice gas range would fit in well.

AppleCori

A really small, outdated kitchen. A nice gas range/stove just wouldn't fit in décor wise. It would look out of place.

My dream has always been to have a large, open kitchen, with quartz countertops, modern cupboards and lighting, one of those over the stove/range hoods done in stainless, and all cheerfully painted in an inviting yellow or pale green or blue colour. Would be nice, too, to have a quartz or fancy tile backsplash, too, maybe even with some accent lighting under the cupboards like I see on home shows.

To me that would be a kitchen where a nice gas range would fit in well.

Oh, I see. The whole kitchen would have to be done to match.

A gas range wouldn’t be out of place in my kitchen, but I would like new cabinets in white with a shaker door style (the wide trim, not the thin or medium trim).

Quartz countertops and a new backsplash to go with it.

I do like the pot-lights too.

Long ago I was thinking of replacing the desk with a pantry, but now I’m glad to have it. At least for now.

I do like the fact that mine opens up to the family room, so that we are all in the same space.

Pink Elephant

Oh, I see. The whole kitchen would have to be done to match.

A gas range wouldn’t be out of place in my kitchen, but I would like new cabinets in white with a shaker door style (the wide trim, not the thin or medium trim).

Quartz countertops and a new backsplash to go with it.

I do like the pot-lights too.

Long ago I was thinking of replacing the desk with a pantry, but now I’m glad to have it. At least for now.

I do like the fact that mine opens up to the family room, so that we are all in the same space.
Exactly, having a style that all matches. We still have light-bulb lighting in our home. I don't ever see us improving anything, because we just don't have the means, but I still do a lot of dreaming. If ever we were to win the lotto, I can tell you things would change in our home, and probably so would our home. :)