Fun thread: What is your favorite non-alcoholic drink?

DazedandConfused

Every morning I have, what I like to call, Poor Man's Starbucks. One tall cup of coffee with a package of cocoa added and a big dollop of cool whip. It is what motivates me to get up. Especially, when it's cold out.

BusynMember

LOLOL, Dazed. I love it! Sounds great.

The truth is...I think Starbucks is too bitter and strong and I can't see paying $6.00 for coffee, especially coffee that isn't in my opinion all that great.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
MWM, if your Starbucks is bitter they are brewing it wrong. It does have a stronger flavor, but it is very smooth...

SuZir

You are certainly picky with your coffee. :coffee2:

For me, if it's black and has caffeine, it's okay. If it is warm or hot, better. If the spoon melts, when you put in your mug, brilliant!

I don't know if you have truck stops and truck stop coffee (the kind they brew at the morning and let stand in hot stove till night and that is barely liquid at noon)? Now, that is coffee for my liking!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL SuZir! That's also called Police Station coffee or, better yet, Marine ambrosia! My kinda coffee!

And I have found that in a drip pot, the first 4 cups of generic resemble Starbucks... Mmmm.

InsaneCdn

When making drip coffee - you have to pull the filter the INSTANT the water stops coming out of the machine... BEFORE it all goes through the filter.

InsaneCdn

I do it daily... without scalding myself.

I have a cereal bowl beside the machine. I hold that at the level just below the plastic filter holder. And then... I whip the filter holder out and into the bowl.

Of course, if you have one of those machines where you can't remove the filter holder... then you need a second coffee pot. Whip the good one out and the 'bad' one in... really REALLY fast. Or slide filter holder out and over a bowl.

(I've done all of the above at one time or another, but I like the ones where the filter holder slides out... easy to clean!)

nerfherder

MWM, Step: I found the quality dropped as they switched over to the automatic brewers. Those tend to be fussy and need to be calibrated regularly (weekly was the suggested routine calibration when I put in my Starbucks time.) I worked at one of the holdouts, with the La Marcozzo four head units.

Folks, if you want to bug your local Starbucks people, sip your drink, make a face and ask when they last calibrated their brewer.

(Given all that, I consider Starbucks a fantastic college level job. Awesome benefits and you'll learn how to work with all kinds of personalities. I'd have stayed if I hadn't been moving across country.)

DazedandConfused

Just an FYI, I actually like Starbucks as a business and corporation. I like their tall insulated cups with the rigid plastic straw to drink my ice water as there is no sweating and it keeps it cold a long time. They're not cheap and I actually had one stolen. I went to our local Starbucks to get another they didn't have any in their display. They were very busy and when I asked the person behind the counter if they had any, or were going to get some, she got the manager to check in the back. The manager GAVE it to me when I explained how much I liked the cup for my water and how it got stolen. I have taken the kids an occasion and didn't balk at the prices.

They do pay higher than average and provide insurance for their employees, even the part time ones. I've had their coffee and it was bitter to me too. Since then I have been told there are other Starbucks brews that I could have gotten that are more like the Folgers I'm used to. What can I say? I'm complete rube when it comes to coffee. But, I'm no stranger to "coffee snobs" as my sister has quite a sophisticated palette and I delight in teasing her about it when she visits. :sissyfight:

BusynMember

Daze, I love the actual Starbucks coffee shops. They give out a warm, cozy feeling and they smell great. The pastries are good too! It's just the coffee I don't like...lol. I do doctor it up if I order any, in my own special way :)

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Every morning I have, what I like to call, Poor Man's Starbucks. One tall cup of coffee with a package of cocoa added and a big dollop of cool whip. It is what motivates me to get up. Especially, when it's cold out.

I make something like that at work sometimes. Don't tell! LOL

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I'm not above that "Police station brew" either. I'll make my morning coffee and let the machine reheat the leftovers that afternoon or even the next morning. As long as I have enough creamer and sweetener, I'm good to go. But I really need to stop drinking coffee, my bones don't like it and my density is already bad for my age. I have cut back to one or two cups a day (as opposed to drinking it all day long), and I'm going to switch to half-caf when my supply of regular runs out (I know, gag me, I said I'd never drink decaf but looks like that's where I'm heading).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I cut back on the caffeinated stuff when I was pregnant, and honestly, my tastebuds couldn't tell the difference. Since I did it gradually, I managed to avoid the caffeine withdrawals.