Funny city and street names you know about!

BusynMember

Everyone heard of Hell Michigan, right?

Yesterday I saw a town name that had me and my husband giggling. It was Nutterville...lol. I wonder how it got it's name!

I also know that there is a Truth or Consequences, Arizona! Can you imagine how that name happened? Can you imagine having that as a city name? It's so long g as well as odd. I think there was once a game show with that name.

You know of any off beat town, city or street names? Any around you or that you heard about?

AppleCori

There is a Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, also.

I’ve been through Elephant Butte, NM too. I have ever thought about why they named it that. Probably not because they had elephants there.....

I think Black Canyon City is one of the coolest names for a city. Funny that it isn’t actually a city, I don’t think. I believe it is still unincorporated, at least it was the last time I was there. I used to drive by it when I traveled from Prescott to Phoenix, and it was just a wide spot in the road.

Last edited:

AppleCori

Pet peeve on street names—I absolutely hate it when they name street names after people. Common people names.

In Prescott Valley, Arizona, two of the main roads through the town are Robert Road and Loos. The founder? Robert Loos, I was told. And so many streets are named other really boring people names.

And in PV there is a street called Spouse and a street called Parent. Who would want to have that as your address?

Also Squaw.

BusynMember

Those last two are funny names.

In our town EVERYThING is named after one man who owned a paper mill and made the town rich. His kids didn't want the mill so he sold it and the new owners are not generous...tons of job cuts....but the town still is named after this man. Included are street names, buildings, one of our public pools and a school.

Lil

We drove by (but didn't go to) Toad Spit, Arkansas, on vacation one year. :roflmao:

There's a town in Missouri called Uranus. They have a fudge factory. Yes, they put on their billboards that the best fudge comes from Uranus.

Really.:oops:

Lil

Also, Missouri has two Oak Groves. One northern in Jackson County and one southern in Franklin County. That must be confusing for the USPS if people don't use ZIP codes.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Truth or Consequences, NM is named after a 1950s game show... Used to be called Radium Springs.

Elephant Butte is because the land mass ("Butte" which is a steep hill that is isolated), seen from above, resembles the silhouette of an elephant.

...Yes, I am a NM buff. Parents lived there for many years, I was born west Texas.

My parents once lived on "Sesame St". In a plat full of spices - Nutmeg, Allspice, Cinnamon...

Horizon, TX. Helltown, OH. Cut and Shoot, TX. Bagdad, FL.

We have Wildcat Road near us. Also Needmore Rd which is actually rather short.

pasajes4

Comfort Texas and the next city is Welfare Texas so if you live between them you live between Comfort and Welfare...nice plau on words. Street names..Pop Gun and Don't Stop both on a dangerous side of town. I've been through both Elephant Butte and Truth and Consequences.

Lil

I just remembered a few of my favorites here in Missouri.

First, there's Versailles. Now, that isn't too unusual, but it isn't pronounced like the place the royals lived in France...it's pronounced, "Ver - Sales" LOL

We have a Knob Lick and a Knob Noster.

We have a perfectly normal town named Peculiar.

We also have :frankenstein: Frankenstein, Missouri! Yep. :)

Still, none of them are quite as good as the play on words the folks from Uranus do. lol