FURIOUS....Susan Smith..asking for new trial.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
It was so painful for us because we both had gone through infertility treatment and she, who did not want babies, could dispose of them like garbage.

3S, this resonates with me and I understand your pain...and your unspoken rage.

Donna, I also knew instinctively that she was lying the first time I saw her. Just like so many others. I think the sociopathic tendencies of our kids make us highly sensitive to the lies of others. It's a gift and a curse.

I hope she rots in hell.

Suz

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
3S, I understand completely as well.....

I expect this won't get too far. There was just too much evidence against her to be granted this appeal. I wonder if it wasn't a slow news day (forgive my cynicism).

Marguerite

I think even on a busy news day, this would get attention, because she really does get hackles up.

What saddens me, is I feel she clearly is an attention-seeker, incredibly egocentric and able to twist things to justify them (in her mind) and think that's OK. And the "I got religion now" means justice should be bypassed?

I'll be amazed if these theories get accepted as justification for retrial. I agree, some of the grounds should have been raised the first time round. Would have been raised, because she would have been literally fighting for her life.

Marg

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well the thing that isn't coming out: Recently the law in the county where this happened were arrested for fraudulent activities. This is probably what sparked her interest in asking for a new trial and thinking that her case was handled improperly.

Kudos to the news stations for two things. One - NOT mentioning in any news cast that the fact that she claimed it was a person of color because it would just start trouble all over again here in a very fragile state whose people are trying to grow and heal. Two - NOT showing pictures of her children over and over in the news because it just hurts too badly even 14 years later to anyone who lived here.

I want to clarify a few points about this woman and my stance. Marg - you are ABSOLUTELY correct. 110%. If we expect a justice system to work at all for you and me? We had better uphold it and support it for even dimwits like her. While I do not believe that in this case the law would have made a mistake - no one is perfect.

The other point is that for what she's done? She doesn't have to answer to me. It sickens me, it disgusts me, I don't understand it at all. However MY point is she's jumping up and down yelling "I did this because I was battered." That gets under my skin like chiggers. True enough, it would be more fitting to ignore than picket and give her negative attention. It's just the general buzz this morning in S.C., that someone hasn't shut her up already. [in prison] I'm sure she's still costing the tax payers money and is kept in protective custody - at least on her last "I found religion" interview on TV - that's what we were told.

Mstang had an interesting point - She said "If she truly found religion? Good for her. I'm all for that. But if she really did find religion then she should know what she did was wrong, repent, and want to pay for her sins and stay put." (paraphrasing) I agree wholeheartedly.

If she does get her day in court? I can't say that anyone judging this case could be completely impartial. Even if they WERE to find that she was never mirandized, and was allowed to leave jail? I would imagine she'd be killed so quickly outside of the courthouse and then someone else would be in jail over this mess. There really would be no good solution.

As far as Indonesia? WOW! Had no idea if you appealed MORE time was added.....Basically keep yer mouth shut huh? WOW.

donna723

I can't imagine that she's been having an easy time of it in prison. Protective custody is virtually the same as Maximum security, just with a few more privileges, and without it she wouldn't last an hour! They live in a single cell, no contact at all with other inmates, they cannot hold a job in prison, they eat alone in their cell out of styrofoam trays. When they get out of the cell for any reason, no other inmates are allowed out at the same time. Total isolation. And the more she carries on, the more publicity she gets, the bigger target she becomes. I work in an institution that is all men and I would never want to work in a women's prison! The women are way worse than the men - the men can be more prone to violence but the women are sneaky and devious and that can be much worse.

And in prisons, anyone who has been convicted of a crime against a child is considered to be the lowest of the low among the other inmates, especially the women. Some of them have done some really bad things but most of them have children of their own and they feel exactly the same way about it that we do! But I think she's exactly where she belongs and she needs to stay there!

DDD

I followed it closely. My recollection may be wrong but, if it serves me right, she had a boyfriend at the time. Based on newspaper reports her boyfriend was the son of a Miami boyfriend of mine back in the 50's. Somehow during the trail I didn't read a word about him testifying. If she were "battered" I would assume (sigh, "the system" is dollar impacted) he would have been sworn in to say so. I doubt any of us will ever forget those children. DDD

Marguerite

Mstang had an interesting point - She said "If she truly found religion? Good for her. I'm all for that. But if she really did find religion then she should know what she did was wrong, repent, and want to pay for her sins and stay put." (paraphrasing) I agree wholeheartedly.

Exactly. "Getting religion" should never be a free pass. Not anywhere.

As for the Indonesian punishment thing - I won't say too much or express a personal opinion because there are Australians in their legal system struggling. But I will say - there are some young Australians there who were convicted of drug smuggling. They were mules. The case of one of them especially is complicated because the Australian Federal police were asked by the boy's parents to stop him from leaving the country, they found out that their son had just been recruited for his first ever trip as a drug mule. The AFP not only opened gates to let the boy go, they then tipped off the Indonesians. It was part of a sting to get the bigger fish, but it was still mostly the drug mules, and the next couple of fish up the line only (and no bigger fish than that) who got caught. The boy was originally given a life sentence, or it might have been 20 years. He appealed, and is now on death row. So it's not just extra years you can get.

I have been reading up on the SS case last night. DDD, the boyfriend you mentioned - he had broken up with her and made it clear (to me as I read the letter) that although her having kids was an obstacle for him, he had other problems with her. She had spent the day of the murder trying to reach this guy, chasing him down and tracking what he did and what he said. He seemed to be very sick of it. I interpreted his letter as trying to let her down gently. Apparently she didn't take it that way. They had been at a party that the guy had thrown and she had been kissing another woman's husband fairly passionately. Both naked in the hot tub. The boyfriend saw it and that was the deal-breaker for him, apparently. He said in his letter, "If you want to catch a decent guy you have to behave like a decent woman" or words to that effect. I think he put in the bit about not wanting to raise another man's kids, as his way of trying to find obvious excuses that she wouldn't be able to argue around. He also did say in the letter that even if she didn't have the kids, he still didn't want to ever have sex with her again. And that was before she told him she'd had sex with his father. There was some discussion over whether this was a lie or not, she was trying to get his attention. But that relationship was dead in the water before the kids died.

It was a very interesting (and long) read last night. It presented the case in a way that made it possible to see her in as much sympathy as possible. I'm not saying it was all her way; not at all. But it clearly presented the defence case as well as the prosecution case. And I cannot see how on earth she can claim spousal abuse drove her to this. There was absolutely no hint of this at all, except possibly in that after the "carjacking" nobody left her alone. Whenever police interviewed her or the media interviewed her, there was always family present. She always had a buffer between her and the media. In a number of cases, people who were trying to get to see her (including from organisations set up to help parents in what was believed to be her situation) were blocked from getting to see her, even after it had all been agreed on. She MAY be able to claim that because she was surrounded by family, she was unable at any point to tell her side of the story. However, her husband did at some point realise what she had done and turned against her. At that point she should have said, "Thank goodness he's gone, now I can tell everyone how bad it has been." But she didn't.

In my digging, I found a lot of references to women who kill their children. We consider it unnatural, but it happens a lot more than people care to admit. A lot of these women come from dysfunctional backgrounds.

SS's background sounds pretty horrible. But there have been many worse. Sure, she has a diagnosis of mental disorder in various forms, especially in terms of her need for attention and her pathological lying. But for legal purposes, she was sane at the time of committing the crime (although that is perhaps the closest she could have come to legal insanity) and definitely sane at the time of lying about it. Her lies indicate that she knew she did the wrong thing and was trying to cover it up, which lets out a lot of legal insanity pleas. She was clearly sane at time of trial and time of sentencing.

Having "found religion" - it implies (to some people) that she has been out of her mind all along and only now has found sanity (because for some people, not having faith = insane).

It smacks to me of desperation, of trying to pull every string at once. Also a desperate grab for attention of any kind. it's been a few years now of anonymity; she's probably craving limelight again.

Never forget - when she announced the carjacking theory, her main interest did not seem to be, "I have to find my kids," it seemed more to be "Did I look OK on TV?" and "Has my boyfriend rung yet? Please, husband, don't be jealous when he does."

The guy was never going to ring.

Marg

Marg's Man

Star you said
... Indonesia? WOW! Had no idea if you appealed MORE time was added.....Basically keep yer mouth shut huh? WOW.
While I don't like their system too much this is one area where they have it right. (see Marg's post above for detail on what's wrong with it; we were posting at the same time despite being 60km apart)

Their system is so corrupt that a fair trial is almost impossible but if you appeal AND LOSE you COULD get more time or worse. It's not a given but it is highly likely. You need to be REALLY sure that you will win an appeal.

I still prefer our systems (Australian or US) with all their faults.

Marg's Man

Last edited:

klmno

but if you appeal AND LOSE you COULD get more time or worse

Oddly enough, our juveniles risk the same in our state because when they appeal a decisdion from a J&DR court, it goes to the adult court where they start over and can order whatever they want- worse or not- and in some military courts it works that way, too. But in our mainstream adult courts it does not.

DDD

Thanks for sharing Marg. I knew about the accusation but not about the letter etc. Sad, but interesting. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Donna - You painted a very haunting picture with words about what Max-life is like. With that in mind? Life in prison almost seems a fitting punishment for an offender.

Marg - thanks for the refresher. I'm fairly certain that the judge here has said SS is too late in applying. This case made me think about another one here in the US where a mother of five in Texas drown all her children in a hotel bathtub. I haven't heard anything about her either.

Marg's Man. I would say the chances of ME traveling abroad are VERY slim. I would love to travel, but I've seen shows where drug people put stuff in your suitcases to get it through customs and security and then YOU go to jail and I think? No THANK YOU. Unless I'm going via private jet? Not a chance. lol.

My thoughts on most government/justice systems are that they aren't. The US has a fair system, but after what was done to my son via crooked cops, and my son not being mirandized, taken from a psychiatric hospital with witnesses who TOLD us he wasn't read his rights? Then the cop said "never trust a cop?" in front of us? WOW....yeah my perspective of it all is very jaded. I'm on a don't ask/don't tell basis from here on out.