Furniture question

klmno

If you have a reclining sofa and a separate reclining chair, is it still a better idea to get a coffee/cocktail table, or are they just in the way?

donna723

I guess it's just personal preference but I've never had coffee tables. At our house, they are mostly junk collectors and I bang my shins on them!

InsaneCdn

Depends on the size, shape and layout of the room.

Also depends on whether you're talking "middle-of-everything" COFFEE table, or "beside the chair/sofa/etc" END table.

Personally, I can't function without END tables... to hold a lamp, mug of something hot, pencil for sudukos and such, letter opener... ya, kinda gets to be a "collect it all" place, but hey, ya gotta LIVE in your LIVING room, no?

klmno

Oh- I have to have end tables, or at least have a chair next to a desk or something. You know, there's my drink, the remote control, a lamp. a place to set my popcorn while I go potty....LOL! The coffee table always seem to visually complete an ensemble but I'm wondering how feasible it is with all the reclining furniture these days....if it's pulled far enough away to recline the furniture then it's too far away to reach and no one needs to be propping their feet on it. I think I'm going to wait until the seating furniture gets here and I arrange it, then decide on tables. They won't be expensive ones, that's for sure. Given what I've been living with, just having a sofa and recliner is a major excitement for me right now so I can get over it. LOL!

KTMom91

In my house, the panther boys would use the coffee table as just another venue to wave black paws to show who's boss of the hour.

DDD

Wise choice to try it for awhile with-o to see how comfortable you are. I'm excited for you starting off with a clean slate and new furtniture. Eagerly awaiting an update once you transition. DDD

muttmeister

I was always taught that every seat should have someplace to put a drink, etc. Whether that's a coffee table or end tables or some other solution depends on the layout of your room. Some recliners stick out a long ways, others don't...so your solution will depend on your individual furniture and room.

witzend

I had one with our reclining sofas, it was nice for when company was over. Company doesn't like to recline so much...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We had my old toybox my Grandpa made as a coffee table for a long time. It was on wheels, so it was movable. Which was good when I found Onyxx's mummified pizza under it last fall. It moved DOWNSTAIRS to my bedroom.

My end tables are Duncan Phyffe, but missing the gold feet, and they've been repaired, refinished and polyurethaned. So when my parents got new end/coffee tables last week, I jumped at the chance to get theirs. They're deep, wide and... handmade by my Mom's father, before I was born.

It all depends on the size of the room, sentimental attachment, and personal preference.

klmno

I was playing around with a drawing to see how I want to arrange furniture in the LR and decided to stick with 2 end tables for now, without a coffee table. Also, I want to get a cabinet (for lack of better term) that has a couple of shelves, preferably behind glass) for difficult child's previous awards and media equipment and isn't too tall or too short to put the tv on. Then, at some point, I might get a coffee table and matching sofa table to put the tv on and use the 'cabinet' someplace else as accent furniture. This will be most cost effective now and safe some space, leaving things a tad bit flexible for a while. I do appreciate a nice coffee table but the LR would start to look cramped and I don't expect any 'formal' visits from anyone for a while, except a PO and I couldn't care less if he's comfortable or not. LOL! I can put one end table at each end of the sofa and the chair will be close enough to use one of them, too. Really, I'd love to find a coffee table that has a shadow box (I think that's what they are called) but I have no idea where to find one around here. I haven't looked online because I figured even if I found one that could be ordered and shipped, that would cost me a fortune. I have to get funriture and a bed for difficult child to have a bedroom, too, so this seems most feasible for now. The LR and dining area are combined/adjacent so I'm also thinking that if there are drinks and snacks, we could just sit at the dinette table.

Thanks for all your opinions and ideas!

DDD

Once you are really settled in you probably would have fun looking for buys at Habitat, Salvation Army or at garage sales for setting up difficult child's bedroom. The new mattress will probably be the most costly item but a whole lot of very nice used furniture is available "on the cheap". DDD