G2G Dropped a Bomb!!

twistedfrog

G2G just told me she thinks she would like to join the military :surprise: sure wasn't lookin for that one. She wanted to know if I thought her probation would ruin her chances. Told her she should talk to her P.O.
Wonder what prompted this. Although I think it could be good for her. I also worry that she could learn skills that would make her dangerous. Does that make sense?

busywend

I do not recall any facts with difficult child 2 as your profile does not have that info. I am assuming she is over 18 - I do believe probation can affect military enlistment. Best to talk to PO.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Froggy - every so often difficult child tells me the same thing. I also scratch my head in wonder...as in "I wonder where she came up with that one?"

I don't know if being in the military would teach her worse things to hurt others so much as perhaps some self control and the dangers of hurting others. I guess I never looked at it the way you are, but it is interesting. I guess it may depend on the perspectives they have going in, eh?

My H has always encouraged difficult child to join the Coast Guard and I've always talked down the military idea. But, there are a few parents here who have difficult child's in the military - maybe one will be along soon. I'm sure their perspectives will be illuminating.

twistedfrog

G2G is 16. Sorry about that I need to put that stuff in there. :wink:
She is going to be a softmore this year. Should be a junior but she didn't belive me about being held back in the 7th grade. I have thought about the whole pros and cons thing. I have a good friend that had twin difficult children that really gave her a rough time when they lived with her. Both of them joined the Marines and it did them a world of good. One of them came home to visit and she was saying he is not the same person. He even apologized for all the stuff he and his brother pulled.

AllStressedOut

Last I heard (probably two years ago) is that anyone on medications for pyschiatric problems, depression, ADHD, EVER, are not permitted in the military. This came from my nephew who enlisted with a friend. If she has been on any of these types of medications, they won't permit her to enlist. I'm not sure if the rules have changed since though.

busywend

Well, since she is a minor, her records could get sealed. So, maybe by the time she is 18 - if she stays out of trouble, she could get in.

That could be the carrot that makes her stop the madness now!

skeeter

It also depends on the branch of service, the Army will take some that the other branches won't take.

One thing I'd suggest, if she's really serious, is to take the ASVAB (Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Battery). A lot of high schools offer it, or any recruiter can get her signed up to take it. Not only would it tell her what jobs she'd qualify for in the service, it's a good tool just for overall job fit. If she scores well on it, you'll have lots of recruiters calling!

Also depending on her interests, you may want to see if there's a Civil Air Patrol unit, or Junior ROTC unit, at your school or in your area. These are good for helping kids understand what military life "could" be like. NF was a member of CAP from age 12 on, and his rank translated over when he joined the Navy to him starting Basic as a E2 instead of a E1.

Marguerite

Sometimes the services are a success, sometimes they're not.

difficult child 1 has an old school friend who stopped his medications so he could join the army. I think he was on medications for ADHD - this guy has a lot of problems.

In some ways, being in the army has helped him. However, from their point of view he's just not working out. They keep moving him around to find a placement that works for him. Last we saw him, he was a driver. I've been in the car with him - I don't envy his passengers! He drives like the car is on rails, doesn't slow for corners, was doughnutting on every turn... thought it was funny when I told him off.

I also saw him on one of his recent furloughs, heard how he talks to his mother. I'm sure a bit part of it was bravado in front of his mates, I remember easy child doing this when she was 12. You don't talk to your mother like that, for show, at 23. MAJOR maturity problems, which will be why he gets kicked out eventually.

I remember difficult child 1 taking great delight when he met one of their old teachers in the mall: "Hey, you remember Jay? Remember how scary he could be sometimes? Well he's joined the army, they've given him a gun and taught him to kill. Isn't that nice?"

Which sums it up, with this guy. He hasn't got the maturity to bear this sort of responsibility.
I know the army really pushes responsibility into their recruits, but as we know with difficult children, if they're not ready to learn...

Marg

twistedfrog

I found it interisting the other day. I was asking difficult child why she wanted to do this. Her answer was she wasn't sure. So I told her we could check into it some but she needed to understand that its not something she can start and then decide its to much effort. She changed her mind when I told her she can't join up and then decide down the road she wants out. :hypnosis:

DammitJanet

Tell her to try JROTC in high school to get a feel.

There is a misconception that if you have ADHD or certain other types of disorders and taken medications that you cannot be in the military. That isnt true. You have to be off medications for a certain length of time and you have to disclose the fact that you have the disorders to the military.

My son was in the Marines for 4 years and was severe ADHD. He went off medications at age 14 because he always wanted to be a Marine like his Papa. It was his goal as a way to start his life. He succeeded magnificently. He was a Military Policeman in the Marines and was a month away from making SGT when he got out. He has moved into the public sector as a Deputy Sheriff in Animal Control. He loves this job. The military service was one of the key factors in him being hired for this job.

The Marines taught him so much. There are a few bad habits he picked up (like drinking occasionally and cussing) but overall the boy is head and shoulders more mature than his friends back home. He is responsible for his own life, pays his bills, supports his girl friend and new baby, and doesnt call home except to keep up with us. He maintains his own life independently and has since he went in.