Gallbladder, your days are numbered!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Two, to be exact!

Surgery is 3:15pm this Friday. Already got all my pre-op tests done this evening and we are good to go!

It really sounds like it won't be a big deal. I'll let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

Lothlorien

What a difference this procedure is nowadays. My aunt has this HUGE scar across her belly from having her gallbladder removed and now it's just this little tiny scar and you're in and out the same day.

Get the painkillers, even if you don't think you need them. I had an ablation done a few years ago and I thought I'd be fine with ibuprofen....boy, was I sorry I didn't get the Percocet!

I hope your family is planning to pamper you during your recovery. Wishing you an easy surgery and a quick recovery.

H

HaoZi

Woot! Before deductibles start over! I wish you a smooth surgery and speedy recovery.

crazymama30

Oh yes Get the pain killers. When I had my tubal? The worst pain was from the gas they use to inflate your abdomen (and I am so glad I did not see that, I must have looked like I was pregnant with quadruplets or more!). It rises up into your shoulders and back. The surgery is usually not an issue. If you feel like you need it, ask to stay over night. You do have 3 difficult children at home (I am counting husband).

DazedandConfused

I'm assuming it is being done laparoscopically; it's a relatively short recovery time. My mom has the huge scar too. Only 24 when she had it done.

Definitely use the pain medications. An attack free life is such a relief.

Sending positive surgery vibes.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
H&R, it's laparoscopic. Four small incisions (three up high just below the rib cage and one by the belly button). Surgeon said it would take about an hour tops.

I will have husband get the scrip filled and see how it goes :)

I was a little surprised when he asked if this Friday worked for me! Turns out they had a slot open up in their new outpatient surgery center around the block. The doctor said it's cheaper than the hospital (translation: he's on the board of doctors that opened it so it probably means more $ for him overall) so my copay will hopefully be a little lower.

He said no dietary restrictions whatsoever afterwards, and the more I move around, the faster I'll recover. He said a couple of days' discomfort and I should be doing pretty well after that. So maaaaybeeeee I can get husband to set up the Xmas tree this year!

buddy

So glad you can ditch the gall bladder! I dont miss mine at all, lol.

Yeah, I did end up staying the night, so did my mom. They had said OP surgery, but it was better to stay and get the good drugs. But after one day, went home and not serious pain. Oral medications did the trick and was fully recovered quickly. Anesthesia for me hangs on for some reason. I feel fogged out for like a week. that was the worst part really for me.

Best part??? NO MORE PAIN!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad it is so soon!!! i was afraid they would make you wait a week or so (the routine around here). Definitely get the pain medications - you can always get rid of them later if you don't need them.

Stock up on gas-x and have it with you at the hospital. If they won't let you take it there, take some as soon as you leave. I have found that lots of hospitals do not keep it in stock, but the dr can let you take your own medications. While they do not blow the air into your digestive tract, a lot ends up there anyway. The gas-x was very helpful. Also belch as much as you can. It helps with the gas too. that was the worst part of the first 2 days for me.

(((((hugs))))) and we will be there in spirit watching over the doctor like hawks!