Gas - $4.17 gallon

dreamer

One day recently I wanted to kick myself hard..as I headed out of my town I was not on a good side of street to get gas, but, when I got back in town a couple hours later, it was yup- 5 cents a gal higher than when I left.
One day this week, I think the day I went out to the military base- I saw reg gas for $4.23 a gal......YIKES! it is $4.19 in my town today........

TerryJ2

easy child is about to get his with-that reality. She has a new VW Beetle (a demo). She is supposed to get 30 mpg. While that's good mileage, it's still going to be expensive to fill it up every wk.
Lots of people are selling their SUVs and vans. We knew it would happen but not this fast. We know a guy who has a huge yacht he loves to go out on, on weekends ... and his gas is $1000 ea time he fills up. So much for that hobby. I suspect he's going to take up gardening ...

trinityroyal

Yup. It's pretty bad.
Gas has hit $1.29 per litre around here, which is about $5.16 per gallon.
It cost me $128.00 to fill up the truck the other day, and I just about passed out.

SRL

It cost me $92 to fill my van the last time. That was at $3.99 including Walmart 3 cents per gallon discount for using their gift card.

This week I made the discovery that gas is cheaper by the interstate that goes around our town than at the stations inside--totally opposite of what is normal.

Wiped Out

Staff member
These gas prices are crazy and wreaking havoc on our budget! And, we're at $3.89 a gallon right now. I know worse is coming!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I didn't look to see what ours was yesterday. But I know before that it was at 3.98 a gal. easy child had spotted a station near aldi's when we went offering it at 3.89 a gal and sat in line for 20 mins to fill up. Can't blame her, she's driving a Jeep.

crazymama30

As soon as I sell my house I am selling my blazer and buying a car. I just cannot afford this. husband wants a truck, he does need a newer car as his is on its last leg, but a truck???? It is nice to have as they are very useful, but the mileage just bites. I think we are about $4.13 here, and at Fred meyer it was $4.03

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Ours is $4.29 for regular gas and diesel is up over $5/gallon now! I thank God that I bought my little civic hybrid when I did, I hear the prices are going up on those now. 'They' will get you however 'they' can it seems!

easy child has a VW Passat wagon with a turbo - she's supposed to buy premium. She's a starving college student. On the one hand, I'd love to cosign a loan for her so she can get into something affordable like a Yaris, but on the other hand, I'm thinking of the college loans. In the long run, the economical car will pay off, but in the meantime, who will pay the loan? And what if easy child loses her job or can't make her bills every month, Know what I mean?? H feels that keeping her car and paying over $50/week in gas is still cheaper than her getting a new, more economical car. I am on the fence. Having seen the ways in which I'm saving on gas with my small car, I can't help but wonder if I should just help her get the other car.

And of course, poor H is driving his big diesel truck that barely gets 15 mpg. This is really killing us too. Something's gotta give.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup, it's $4.29 and up here for regular unleaded. I paid $4.09 at a cheap place yesterday. I've taken to only fillling 1/2 tank, 'cuz part of me is paranoid that people are going to start stealing/siphoning gas because it's so crazy. husband thinks I'm nuts to be thinking about getting a locking gas cap! But heck, it's like liquid gold these days!

Annette

we are £1.14 a litre :( The equivalent in dollars is $10 a gallon. We have lorry drivers and fishermen parading through cities and blocking up roads in protest.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I've taken to only fillling 1/2 tank, 'cuz part of me is paranoid that people are going to start stealing/siphoning gas because it's so crazy. husband thinks I'm nuts to be thinking about getting a locking gas cap! But heck, it's like liquid gold these days!

Actually, my difficult child recently told me that some people have been stealing gas in the town her boyfriend lives. Ironically, when difficult child still had her car, she used up all of H's lawnmower gas and never told him. But he found the hose behind the shed. OMG - what a drip.

JJJ

My goal this summer is to limit driving to just 3 days per week. husband has to drive to his job but most weeks, I'm free to walk to various places. I only have to drive to camps 2 weeks. We usually spend 2 different weeks visiting family. This year we are just doing 1 visit to family just 3 hours away (v. 10 hrs for the other hoped for visit). I'm hoping a side benefit of all this walking is some weight loss ;)

dreamer

easy child drives a Jeep- and has been takeing her friends who do not drive to/from work/school. Yesterday I told her I hoped I was not paying for THAT gas. (the Jeep is husband's)
I got a VW bug used last fall, on a whim, but was able to justify it becuz.......we have a durango SUV....but I am keeping the SUV becuz it holds my mobility scooter and walker, the bug and Jeep do not, and the bug and jeep also do not fit all of us at one time. BUT the durango usually stays parked.
Thru the winter we kept all the cars tanks full, becuz of the amount of severe weather and snow we had....but then I suggested we let the gas run down on all 3 cars and fill them up "fresh" OMG! I nearly had a stroke seeing exactly how much a fill up from empty cost! All winter we had not needed more than a quarter of a tank at a time on any of the cars.
My lawn mower needs gas today and I am NOT looking forward to see how much that will cost, LOL.

Readers Digest had a story about "hypermiling" in it and CNN did a story on it ?nite before last? I think CNN is doing something all week about driving/gas etc?
2 wheeled scooters and mopeds are not legal where I live and recently I found out bikes and skates are not allowed in my town either except on private property, altho truth is it is not very safe here to ride a bike anywhere, anyway, our county is NOT arranged in a way that is pedestrian - bike- skate- friendly, unless you go ON the "bike trail" which does not go anywhere, it is purely for recreation.
Sadly we also do not have busses here, we had one for handicapped people, BUT last month they shut it down, could not afford to run it anymore. We do not have taxis here, we do have a commuter train to/from the city, but---the service is VERY limited, and I heard recently the trains are full to capacity before they even get to us on their way in.....and recently there have been SO many train and elecctric train accidents/derailments/financial-budget woes etc...and a lot of problems'issues/controversies with trains and electric trains, not sure how any of that will end up.
I had cancelled sons far away eye doctor appointment last time, not due to gas, but due to violence in the city in the neighbnorhood where his doctor is- BUT I am wondering if other people who travel there for specialized care are haveing a hard time financially going there? (I also wondered if any others also had gotten nervous about going there with the huge increase in violence there)

Our Jeep has a locking gas cap due to nasty vandalism we had and things like sugar in gas tank-----the bugs gas cap is automatic and I have to flip a switch inside car for it to open.....but so far the polce chief says the bigger problem is not people siphoning gas from the cars but rather stealing from the stations. and ALL our gas stations have become pre pay.

KTMom91

The cheapest I can find here is $4.23 a gallon, and now that school's out, I'm staying home. Annette, how much do you drive, with gas that high? I'd probably be out there protesting, too!

witzend

As soon as I sell my house I am selling my blazer and buying a car. I just cannot afford this. husband wants a truck, he does need a newer car as his is on its last leg, but a truck???? It is nice to have as they are very useful, but the mileage just bites. I think we are about $4.13 here, and at Fred meyer it was $4.03

A lot of people are including the big van or truck in the sale of their houses. If they owe on it, they just work the cost of whatever they owe into the price of the house as much as they can.

I have been hassling husband for months to talk to his HR department about carpooling opportunities. We pay our gas card bill every month, and this month it was over $300 and he is the only one who drives! Get a clue!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm still looking to ride a donkey to work! lol.

I bet the price of oats goes up when I do. lol