Gas Prices

DammitJanet

I end up having to buy gas for my car at least two or three times a week because of taking Billy to work and running errands. (Yes, he does pay for the gas to take him to work but we still are at the station)

I was at our local cheapie station on Wednesday to get gas. We normally get about 20 bucks worth at a time. Thats about half a tank for my car. Depending on how much running I have to do...it may last a few days. Well, I needed more gas today because we ran some extra errands.

I was absolutely floored. I really hadnt paid much attention to the news about the gas prices going up until I heard the news this afternoon. They were talking about them going up over 4 bucks again today and hitting over 5 maybe by the end of the week! Good grief...I paid 3.54 on wednesday!

So we rush right out to my local Go Gas to see if they had skyrocketted yet and they had gone up but not that high yet. They were up to 3.74 and they had lines and tape across the gas pumps because they were low on gas. They were letting us in a few cars at a time to see how long the gas would last! We filled up. All the other stations around were at least 3.99.

Unreal. I heard on tv that we should watch out for price gouging and report it if we suspect it. Im telling ya...I think what happened today was price gouging.

So how much did your prices raise before the storm even hit?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm so out of the loop when it comes to gas prices......I drive very little anymore & husband always fills the tank for me.

I guess the only time I watch it is if we're heading out on a long trip somewhere.

donna723

Ours went up 20 cents yesterday from $3.59 to $3.79 - I haven't been out yet today to see if it went up again. I think they're jumping on the opportunity. It's just their way of saying, "Gotcha!". The prices go up just on rumors of something that might happen, then everybody rushes to fill up before they go even higher - then that causes shortages - it's a self-fulfilling prophecy!

I've heard too of some gas stations on the evacuation routes jacking up the prices so that folks trying to get away from the storm are forced to pay their astronomical prices! I hope lightning strikes them all!

VidQueen

...or Jennifer
20 cents in a day, here in Arkansas. My husband works for a large trucking agency and the entire fleet was told to "top off" before the weekend.
You know the crazy thing? We don't even use the gas that comes from the Gulf. We export that gas. OUR gas....the gas we're paying close to $4.00 a gallon for....comes from the Middle East. I'm not great with geography, but I'm pretty sure Hurricane Ike won't hit Saudi Arabia this weekend:greedy:

dreamer

Our gas had been up to $4.39 but then had dropped and earlier this week was $3.97. I am not wanting to see how much it is today.

klmno

UUGGGHHH..... I didn't get gas during the week- I put it off until this weekend. I thought I heard something on the news in the wee hours last night that it was going up and some places might experience a shortage. I have almost half a tank now so I could put a fill-up off for a few days, but I don't know if that would be better or worse. SIGH...

I've heard too of some gas stations on the evacuation routes jacking up the prices so that folks trying to get away from the storm are forced to pay their astronomical prices!

That's just shameful-

Star*

call 911........call 911
WELCOME TO COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA -

DISADVANTAGED PRICE GOUGING WEDGIE :mad:CAPITAL OF THE USA

Gas this morning $5.90 -

You can only get 10 gallons....at a time.....and sometime this AM before 9:00 AM ALL gas stations were closed - ALL - probably giving them time to jack my shorts up the crack of my already tired kiester.......and raise the prices even higher than my shorts.

mom_in_training

The gas has been ranging from $3.79-$3.71 for the last couple weeks here. I have yet to see if its gone up since I heard yesterday that the prices were going to go back up a $1.00 due to the hurricanes. It would not surprise me.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG! 5.90??? If it gets that high here, I'm gonna get really skinny cuz I'm walking everywhere! :faint:

I dunno what it is here yet. I haven't been out today. I'll have to fill the tank later.....Travis has 200.00 in Kroger points toward gas, so everyone in the family is using that. Gives 10 or 20 cents off a gallon. Helps, but not enough.

mom_in_training

I'm thinking to just trade my van in for a gulf cart. Of course I would have to rig it to tow a lil trailer for my sons wheelchair. I'll tell ya, Just since these gas prices have hit the roof I have been struggling big time. I have been limiting everything I do based around the gas gage and going without what we all need GROCERIES!!!!! I have no clue as to how much the gas prices have gone up today as I type this because I have'nt been anywhere today but I'm sure I will not be happy. And the train? Hmmm, The appointments in another county where all of my sons doctors are have slowed down allot since he turned 21. We will only have to deal with two doctors that can do his adult care there and the others I am getting closer to home . Geeze I was seriously going to start utilizing the train again but the train accident that happened yesterday is pretty scarey.

muttmeister

I should have bought gas yesterday. I had been $3.54 for awhile but yesterday it was $3.44. I'm afraid to see what it's gone up to today though but I am 7 miles from the gas station so I guess I won't drive right over and see.

dreamer

ug. It was $4.39 for reg and $4.79 for premium here, had to go for a lil ride anyway, got to next county and whew, it was "only" $4.11 there. So I topped off my tank, just in case..... cuz I was starting to get low and woulda had to fill by Mon, anyway. I think. Have appts in city coming up GRRR (5 hours each way) but..now we are haveing major severe record setting rainfalls and flash floding and LOTS of roads are closed here. go figure. So- maybe I won't be heading to those doctor appts after all?

donna723

I guess I spoke too soon! It was $3.59 here yesterday morning at the local BiPolar (BP), then $3.79 - then it went up last night to $4.16! That's the highest it's ever been. If it stays that high, I literally will not be able to afford to go to work every day!

It's funny though because when I made my semi-monthly dog food buying run to the next county over this morning - the one little cheapie station there had it for $3.96 and all the rest were at $3.99, including the BiPolar (BP)! Why a 17 cent difference at the same kind of station from one county to the next? They did have a limit too. The sign outside said a ten gallon limit but the sign inside said $40.00, which would be less than 10 gallons. I sort of feel sorry for those folks with the huge SUV's.

dreamer

I also found that odd- that um..lets see, I gathered info re prices and wrote them down on my way back, staryed off my route to check prices...and the results surprised me. CHEAPEST was BiPolar (BP)/Amoco, which is usually highest here. Next was Mobil..which is usually average-high, but it was 2nd lowest. The highest prices today were at the places that are usually lowest- the non big high profile name brand stations. Kinda weird. and yeah, I have my big SUV becuz of my mobility scooter and DHs smaller scooter and walker.....and am wondering how to say to docs gosh, cannot afford the gas to come for our appts? Well, becuz of the flooding, maybe I wont have to admit the gas prices are as big a problem as they are?

Goofy difficult child keeps wanting to apply for min wage jobs in other towns and PCs boyfriend keeps wanting to change jobs to ones farther away and I keep trying to tell them both it is not gonna be acceptable becuz they will not make enough to cover the gas to get there. (IN difficult children case, she does not drive at all) and.we do not even have busses etc here. :-( so- it is not even an option.