General thoughts

N

Nomad

Of course, folks might feel differently about this topic....just something I would like to mention for consideration.

Personally, I think it might be a good idea when mentioning family members to NOT mention their names.

I have noticed some people it seems might be using the real names of their kids on this website. Hopefully, they are really fake names.

in my humble opinion, it might be best to say "daughter" or "son" etc....or to use a fake name, or if it gets too confusing to only use the initial of the child.

One never knows who is lurking here, and someone might be able to figure it out.

Thank you for listening.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I've noticed that too. I think the mods try to get to those people and do a good job of telling them before we do. So maybe they are using incognito names.

Just like me......My name is Prudence in real life. Oh drats. There I go again.

shellyd67

I have never used any really names as well. Especially after seeing the thread someone (?) posted about their difficult child googling their screen name and everything posted came up ...

Now there you go again Prudence giving all your info out on the net ... LOL

DammitJanet

Most folks who have an issue already deal with this by using fake names or initials. I have always said I was probably one of the few on here who was fine with being who I am. Honestly, folks really dont have as much anonymity as we think we do on the internet so I dont worry to much. I know if someone wants to find me that badly, they are going to do it with as long as I have been online.

If you want to use fake names, thats great. Most do.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I sit with Janet on this issue.

Those I might discuss here, know I might discuss them here. They don't have an issue with it. This is my Hang Out. The place I get to let my hair down.

They don't even have an issue with the name deal. And I have to do names because otherwise I get confused. lol

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I am one of those who have given my family pseudonyms. They know I am posting here but BM doesn't... And she doesn't need to.

dashcat

I try to be careful online - always. For me, it's easy because I only have one daughter. I either call her difficult child, daughter or "dashlet", a diminutive of my SN. I real life, I am not a cat .. but wish I were sometimes!
Dash

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I had thought Nomad was the coolest name for a girl EVER! Now? To find out it's a pseudo-name? I'm just, at a loss with the reality of my own name Prudence.

N

Nomad

When I came to this site, I was drinking from a water bottle. It was something new. This bottle had one of those pop up/flip tops. I grapped it immediately cause I'm always losing the tops and spilling and figured I could refill it a few times with- my filtered water. It was called "Nomad." Haven't seen it for years. I guess it is not made anymore. Yep...I was at a loss as to what to call myself that day. But, it stuck and I've had fun with it Prudence. LOLOL! :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Welllllllllllll...........I was named after a.........Beatles song. True. Tres bein! Prudence yer breaking my heart.................

I'm one of those neurotic persons who doesn't want my family to EVER find out I've been talking about them here. I changed my screen name (just about a year ago) and stopped posting for a long time. Guess I just couldn't stay away, lol... I've missed all of you! So now I'm back a bit. Just not as open about what's happening with my difficult children as I used to be. I know there really isn't any such thing as anonymity any more but in order to post, I have to make myself believe there is, lol... SFR

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When I first started posting here, I was terrified that BM would be able to find what I was saying and use it against me and husband.

Of course, Onyxx knows about the board. AND her board name. husband knows. I'm no longer worried.

DammitJanet

If I had anything to fear, I might be more worried but I dont put anything on here that I wouldnt tell the whole world anyway. If I need to keep it secret I do it in PM or on the phone...lol.

keista

One thing I keep in mind when posting about my kids, is that years down the line they will have their own lives. They will look for jobs, apply for licenses, maybe need security clearance. Who knows how much MORE easily accessible things may be in the future. We've all heard the stories of young adults taking videos and pictures of each other just to find them on the web 10 years later. A little anonyminity is a good thing.

DammitJanet

Kiesta..one of my sons has a security clearance. or had...dont know if its still active but he had a top security clearance for at least 7 years that I know of while I was posting on here. LOL.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Well, my name speaks for itself.. I was in the throes of insanity when I first came here years ago ;-) I do avoid using my kids' names, although I did use their real names for years in my blog on another site. That blog is now protected so that it's unsearchable. Oldest found it once, and read through about 100 pages (I could tell by the footprints), but she never said a word to me about it. It was after that, that I protected my blog completely so that I have to grant permission for anyone to have access to it. Youngest would just *die* if she found what I wrote about her. She does know I visit a site for parents of troubled kids, and that I am a moderator here. She just dosn't know which site it is, and has never tried to find out. Still, I save most of my personal venting about my kids for my protected blog these days. I don't write quite as many details here as I used to, partly because I don't want my kids to stumble upon it. It's just too easy these days; all they'd have to do is look in the history on my computer one day.

keista

Kiesta..one of my sons has a security clearance. or had...dont know if its still active but he had a top security clearance for at least 7 years that I know of while I was posting on here. LOL.

I hear ya, I'm not saying that not keeping anonymous will cause problems, but it can in ways we haven't even thought of yet. I've never been a victim of identity theft, but I take every precaution possible to minimize the risk - just in case. I feel it's the same with forums, blogs, Facebook etc.