generic trileptal

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by jannie, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. jannie

    jannie trying to survive....

    I was just told by my prescription coverage company that for now on I must give my child the "new" generic of trileptal or pay $125.00 per month for medication.

    For the past 2 1/2 years I paid $10.00 for three months--

    Supposedly they just came out with a generic and coverage applies to the generic brand...

    Has anyone had any experience with the generic version of trilpetal !!!

    I'm fuming....I don't feel like switching to a generic now---because he's pretty stable....and why mess with something that works !! :thumbsdown: Even if doctor recommends we stick with the brand won't pay
  2. Wiped Out

    Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I'm sorry-how frustrating! I don't blame you for not wanting to change!
  3. Fran

    Fran Former desparate mom

    Very frustrating. I have not had experiences with generic trileptal but it really rubs me the wrong way that they play with our kids stability. :grrr:
  4. witzend

    witzend Well-Known Member

    Is there a way to challenge your insurance company on this? Perhaps with your doctor's help, it's possible to get them to cover it.

    You might also want to start shopping around on the cost. Do you have Costco or Sam's Club there? Their prices on brand names are usually 1/3 to 1/2 of what other places are. Just call the pharmacy and ask for pricing.
  5. jannie

    jannie trying to survive....

    I can possibly appeal it through the insurance company, however, we all know what a hassle that can be. Plus, FDA regulations says its the "same thing" so you shouldn't see a difference....and we do take many generic drugs in our family...

    I will definately try and contact Costco, etc, however the actually price was almost $500.00 for three months and I was getting the discounted rate of $375.00....

  6. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member


    I don't have any experience with generic trileptal yet - I'm sure since the generic version is now approved, I'm going to be in the same situation you're in soon.

    As someone else already said, I think the only thing you can do, is to shop around for a better price. If I'm put in this situation, I know I'll face the same dilemma - Should we try the generic version or pay even more out of pocket for trileptal?

    Thinking as I'm writing, I'll probably have to purchase the generic version and pray for the best... Financially, we're having trouble just paying for our health coverage (we're self-employed and, as a result, pay extremely high premiums for very basic coverage)all of our drugs, copayments, etc. right now.

    I hope you're able to get trileptal at a better price through a place like Costco. You SHOULD NOT have to risk your difficult child's stability over the price of a drug!!! Health insurance in our country is LOUSY!!! Supposedly we have great medical care in the U.S. - Too bad so many of use can't take full advantage of it !!!

    If you find out anything else about the generic trileptal, please let us know. I'll be following this thread closely. WFEN
  7. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    I just had a thought, maybe it is worthless.

    Can you contact the maker of trileptal and tell them how much it helped your child, and how scared you are to switch to generic, and can they help you with the medication? Explain whatever your situation is, you may be very surprised.

    Just a thought.

  8. mom_in_training

    mom_in_training New Member

    Susiestar, I was thinking the same thing, Contact the maker of Trileptal.

    My son just started taking Trileptal and I too would be very hesitant if I had to change over to a generic. Also, Although I do see that you are obviously having problems with your ins co as being the primary cause for this issue, But I have heard about the Wal-Mart $4.00 prescriptions but not sure if they carry Trileptal.

    Wal-mart is associated with Sams Club to so if you choose to check out their pharmacy too.
  9. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member


    Hopefully, you found a way not to have to switch to generic Trileptal. However, if your child is now on it, how is it going?

    Unfortunately, difficult child 1 is probably going to have to use generic Trileptal. He hasn't been stable in awhile and we just recently added Abilify. I'm really terrified of having to have him use the generic at this point.

    Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated!!! WFEN
  10. jannie

    jannie trying to survive....

    I never contacted the manufacturer of the insurance company to fight for the brand and I decided to try the generic version of trileptal. I decided to mix my brand with the generic so that my child could "ease" into the far.....I haven't noticed any difference..... :slap: he's not worse not better....just the same old difficult at this point, I must say that the generic has been fine.

    It's only been a few I'll update at about the 8 week stage.

    Good luck with the abilify--difficult child has done quite well with the abilify.

    My difficult child has been on the trileptal/abilify combo since May 2006...over time, we've increased both, but I think the abilify has been the most helpful...
  11. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member


    I'm glad your difficult child is doing ok with the generic Trileptal. I think your idea of mixing the Trileptal with the generic version is a good one. I'm going to do the same thing. Thanks!!!

    I'm glad your difficult child is doing well on the Abilify too. difficult child 1 has been on it for about three and a half weeks now. He is on an extremely small dose. So far, we haven't seen any improvement but I'm sure the current dose is way too low and it hasn't been in his system long enough. I think his psychiatrist is going to increase the dosage very gradually.

    It's nice to hear that the combination of Trileptal and Abilify works well for your difficult child. I'm hoping the combo will do the same for mine.

    I'm looking forward to your 8 week update. Thanks again. WFEN