getting Special Education services in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for formerly homeschooled teen

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by compassion, Feb 11, 2009.

  1. compassion

    compassion Member

    My daughter just went into Residential Treatment Center (RTC). She has always been homeschooled and I have no psychosoicla testing on her. I made a nerospych call today and it will be nearly 4 months before she is seen.
    I accomodated her. She is both hard of hearing as well as bipolar. I have put in writng/talked to teachr at center who refered me to ESE in the district (pulic school district in the adjoining county) I got a name of a liasonon the webiste. Any suggestions? Compassion
  2. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I'm sure that someone will come along that has experience in this situation - I don't. I am just venturing a guess that you would have to start from scratch. On what basis did you get the homeschooling permission? Was it based on a disability need?

    If so, then it's already a matter of record. However, I would think (and here's the guess) that she would have to qualify for an IEP in order to get the Special Education servicesin the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) just as she would if she were in day treatment or main stream school. That would require you to send a certified letter to the school district and request testing of your daughter while in the Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

  3. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    What is the reason you need Special Education services in the Residential Treatment Center (RTC)? Won't the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) accommodate her the way you accommodated her? Or are you trying to get the SD to pay for the educational portion of Residential Treatment Center (RTC)?
  4. compassion

    compassion Member

    When I talked to the teacher on Monday, she said, you have to go through ESE. I talked to the psychiatrist last night and she said thanks for bringing her school materials. She did not know about the IEP. I am thinking I need to request IEP from the ESE department. I think I will hold back until team meeting Wednesday. If they are willing to work with me and her to asccomodate her to do the work I know will work for her that is what I am hoping. Thanks for the responses! I have alswsy homeschooled. The diagnosis not made utnil August 2008. I ws doidng alot of the accomidations reccomended for bipolar just by being tuned in to her all this time. Plus, she is deaf in one ear. So I have hard of hearing and OHI I ned to connect with the teacher .Compassion
  5. Steely

    Steely Active Member

    So, what exactly is the question? How to get her SpeEd services? Sorry, I am a little brain dead.

    I homeschooled difficult child for 3 years, and now that he is in placement, I just referred the records I had for him of his grades and schoolwork directly to them, as if he was in a private school, and as if I was just transferring his records. I also let them know of his learning difference, and they seemed willing to accomodate without any written paperwork or diagnosis.

    In order for the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) to give her SpeED services, it seems they would be obligated to do the testing if you did not have it, and it seems they would obviously pick up on her learning differences, and test her, and get her in the right programs.

    Does this help?
  6. compassion

    compassion Member

    Thanks, Steely. I am goign to wait unti team meetign Wed. before takig any action. I prefer that they accomadate her, do what I knwo works. She ahs never been to apublic school and they do online classes 6 hours a day We did onlien but I accomidated tons and it ended up being a few hours a day.
    The quesiton was since I have no assessments (I did arragne foe a neuropsch) would they accomodate her speical needs. When I talked to teahder, Monday,she refferred me to the ESE through the county the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is in. psychiatrist said thanks for the materials, we want to start her soon . Knwoing the way bearacies work, the SD evaluation proably would not come though before the summer anyway so hoping I can work with teaher to have her do the work (non-computer;no way she could focus doing that) and be flexible to her psycho social needs. Compassion
  7. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    The placement would need to be made by the IEP Committee -- no one else.

    It's difficult to get this type placement. The sd is required to educate in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE). They typically intepret that to mean to try absolutely everything else before an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) placement. That's not how it's suppose to be done but....

    Even after everything else has been tried, it's often still difficult to get an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) placement because of the cost.
  8. compassion

    compassion Member

    I am not asking for SD to pay: I just want her to have optimum educational accomodations. She is ALREADY in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) (phospital for 6 days and Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for a week tomorrow)
    I swill let you know how team meeting goes on Wednesday. What I am hoping that teacher, with psychiatrist approval will do what I reccomend. Compassion
  9. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    I must have misunderstood your question.

    If your daughter has an IEP, you can call an IEP meeting at any time.

    If she doesn't, you need to request an evaluation in conjunction with-IDEA.