Gift giving ideas for health care staff

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I don't know if anyone here has to worry about this but I thought I would share what I'm doing for the health care staff that cares for my mom at the nursing home.

I allocated roughly $125 ($100 of it from my mom's account that has a balance due to a refund she received for an overpaid bill from last year) to buy small $5 gifts, so 25 gifts. I actually was able to get a couple of things for less, so I will have two or three extras.

I am going to wrap each one individually (the men's style gifts will be marked but it's mostly women) and put them in a bag and bring them in and just have the staff do a 'grab bag' type of thing. I want to express my gratitude to these wonderful people some how and they always receive a TON of baked items and candies, so my therapist gave me this idea and it sounds fun. This way I am not favoring anyone or singling any one out and also just not adding to the pile of sweets that line the nurse's station every year.

I bought a single cup brewer for $6, a couple of pairs of those stretchy gloves, a travel mug, a few note pad sets with journals, a really cute organizer, one of those pancake mixes in a bag that comes with a spatula, $5 gift cards to daughter, Starbucks and Panera, and I thought I'd also throw in a couple of jars of my canned chutney. I will still give them a tray of my specialty holiday cinnamon nut twirls, but I thought this would be fun. I'm excited because I think so many of them will have fun with it, even if they don't get something spectacular (they could always trade amongst themselves, right?).

Does it seem cheesy? Am I deluding myself? Hahaha

Fran

Former desparate mom
I think it's a wonderful idea. I worked in the hospital for many years and I appreciated anything that said "thank you". Food, candy, pens,coffee mugs, anything. It is the thoughtfulness that meant more to me.
I keep reminding myself that Christmas isn't supposed to be like a fund raiser where the biggest amount is the goal.
I know the staff will appreciate your kindness.

buddy

First, not cheesy, I loved getting little gifts from students etc. Really sweet. My favorite gift of all time is two mismatched salt and pepper shakers wrapped in a Deluxe check box from an adult client i worked for. He said he got it at Goodwill.

Not saying your gifts are like that, lol. but I am saying it really truly is the thought that counts. And I was the only staff he bought for! He was an aggressive man living in an community apt. where we supported them to live independently. He hated that people called him the R word and I never ever had to call for restraints etc. He would sit for hours talking to me. My favorite job ever. I learned a lot from that guy... and look where I am..... I know there was a plan.

I love your idea. I think the staff will too.

InsaneCdn

The holidays are usually short-staffed for both hospitals and long-term-care facilities. Which means staff are often run off their feet. When husband worked in health care, the teams always appreciated the quick calories... not home baking (hard to keep sanitary), but single-wrap stuff... granola bars, two-bite chocolates, mini-boxes of raisins... If a meal break ended up being 2 hours late... it "kept them going".

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It is always nice to be appreciated, and staff are tickled pink. I know, I used to be that staff for years. I always loved the baked goods.......I never had time to go home and bake when I was working, I always volunteered to work the holidays so someone with children could have the day off. That meant I didn't have time for baking.

I've added two to the baking list this year. The lawyer and her husband the funeral director. in my opinion when professionals these days bend over backward to give you that extra personal attention and kindness, it should be appreciated and encouraged. Because so many don't.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If my mom was more 'with it', I'd put the gifts in a basket and have her give them out to her caregivers, but she isn't so I have to do it. I just thought it would be fun.

The home is in a fairly affluent area and many of the residents are local, so the staff gets a ton of foodstuffs, which you can tell they genuinely appreciate - especially home made! So I will add to that pile along with a little fun.