Gift ideas for hysterectomy recovery

ck1

Does anyone have ideas for a good gift for my sister? She had a hysterectomy and was supposed to spend only three days in the hospital. :doctor: Now, more than a week later, she's still there and unsure of when she'll be released. Needless to say, she's not recovering very well and certainly not quickly. With her, it always seems to be that she just can't catch a break and whatever can go wrong, does. Sad, because she really is a great person and remains upbeat and optimistic, always.

I'd like to send something other than flowers or food or personal care stuff. I was thinking maybe some funny books or movies, but I can't think of any. She has a good sense of humor but is VERY catholic. Any and all ideas are much appreciated!!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Ok I know this may sound a little warped but hey what can I say it was my way of cheering up my mom one time after she had heart surgery.

She dislikes pink flamingo's with a passion. So me being the loving daughter that I am I got her some pink flamingo stuff to get well with.

Now at first she had thought I lost my mind (duh). Then when I pointed out that she must be doing ok because a. she still didn't like them and b. she wanted to kick my bu** for getting it. I told her that once she got well she could go ahead and do so. I would wait.

Again silly and making little sense to most people but funny as all get out (because now my aunt picked up the fever and gives her pink flamingos all the time ehehe)

I don't know what kind of sense of humor she has but alas just one aspect you could do.

Oh and of course I would then get her something she did like like a nice book but hey that wouldn't be MY first choice.

Beth

busywend

Get her a cleaning woman to come in once a week for the next 2 months. She will not be allowed to vacuum for a long time.

This was what I asked every one of my guests to do for me - vacuum.

mstang67chic

Going Green
I was in the hospital for only 2 1/2 days and was bored out of my mind! I still am actually because I still can't really do anything. I would suggest anything to keep her busy.........movies, books, magazines, puzzle books, anything. Maybe even stationary so she can write to people if she's into letters.

Hope she recovers soon!

tinamarie1

When my sister had her hystorectomy, I made her a basket full of stuff she likes, magazines, readers digest, single serve pepperidge farm cookies, and I smuggled in some of her favorite soft drink too (the hospital furnished the ice).
just a thought...
tina

susiestar

Roll With It
If you can visit her, do. ANYTHING to break up the boredom. And, she might not be able to coordinate her health care. If you can help with this it might help.

Cleaning services are great, if you can afford it. There are all kinds of movies, and many TV shows are on DVD also. A season of the british comedy Are You Being SErved or Keeping Up Appearances or my fave The Vicar of Dibley (only if she can poke a little fun at religion and realizes it is Church of England, NOT Catholic). Otherwise any old tv series you liked as kids or teens is problem on DVD. If you can swing it or loan it, a partable dvd player with screen may be nice, she may not be able to go change dvds often.

Just the things that crept into my head.

Hugs,

Susie

OH, Books on tape or CD!!! Too awesome when you feel cruddy and just want your mind off it. You can set them up and fall asleep listening if you want.

Susie

crazymama30

Maybe some sort of hand held game like solitaire or something? Crossword puzzles? If she is still in the hospital, maybe a favorite soft drink or tea or coffee that she cannot get there? I had a pt a week ago who was dying for McDonald's orange drink. It was really kinda funny. Ask her, sometimes if you ask you will get an answer.

DammitJanet

If you are asking for after she gets home, the cleaning service is ideal if you can swing it. Or coordinate with some friends or her church for meals for a while. She wont be able to lift and drive for a few weeks.

For a nice personal thing...my ever famous rice sock can be made using a travel pillow case and stitched on a sewing machine in little blocks to keep the rice separated. Imagine a tic tac toe board. Just keep putting the rice in each square before you sew them up. Dont make it too heavy.

This makes a great heated pad to put on the tummy when it hurts...or you can toss in the freezer if ice feels better.

You can also make this from flannel you just have to buy the flannel in the store and cut it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janet, couldn't you use a flannel pillow case and just trim it down? Lots less work for those of us who are work-allergic!!

Susie

K

Kjs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dammit Janet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">freezer if ice feels better.</div></div>

Works great for hot flashes. Which started while I was IN the hospital. Sometimes I feel like I am steaming!

Cross-stitch - you mentioned religion, there are many religious themes to choose from. Especially with the holidays in the near future.

Rug-hooking - I really enjoyed this, does not seem to popular these days, I still like it. (like I have time for any of this now)

I found a little piggy bank at a Hallmark shop for a friend with the same procedure. It said "Cold Cash for Hot Times" I passed it around work with a card (we were co-workers). People contributed and signed the card. Brought that with some balloons. I know that is a different situation, just wanted to share. Thought that was cute.

SRL

Maybe a favorite TV series on DVD from her childhood or early adult hood? I'm watching the first season of MASH right now after many years and am having a ball. I rarely watch TV and it's even rarer that I find it funny but the other day my oldest said "Mom, you're scaring me with all this laughing..."

ck1

These are all GREAT ideas--thanks!!! She already has a weekly cleaning service (has for awhile) so that one won't work. I'm going to send this when she gets home from the hospital. She is in such excruciating pain or sleeping so she doesn't get bored there. Hopefully, she'll get home in the next few days though.

I was thinking of surprising her with a visit (she lives about nine hours away) but me coming with two relatively loud toddlers when hers are past that stage may not be very helpful! I know when I have a stressful situation (this summer with difficult child) I did not want extra kids around.

I love the childhood tv series ideas! Mash is a really good one, I will probably get that but a couple more would be nice. My sister is 43, so I'll do some research about what was popular then...maybe Love Boat and Gilligan's Island?

Also, KJS, which is easier, cross-stitch or rug hooking? I think those are both great ideas but she may not be very crafty, I'd like to send her the easier one. Maybe I'll send a hand-help Sudoku game too. I hadn't thought of any of these but this is exactly the kind of basket/box I was thinking. Thanks so much and please keep them coming!!