Gnats

N

Nomad

I might be in hexx, one of the weirdest and most difficult periods do times in my life.

Anyway, our home has been infested by gnats.

I wasn't overly worried about it, cause I had a bad little part of the roof over hang and I figured they were getting in from there, so I had that fixed and the house sprayed and they are still here. I have one inside plant...looks fine, but I put it outside.

I'm grossed out...anyone have this happen to them before and how do I uninvited these gross little bugs from my house?

Thanks.

Ps for some reason I can't find my curser and make corrections to typos, so my apologies for the typos today. Goodness. :(

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We had this problem... A few weeks ago... I took melon rind and put it just outside the back door, left the screen open... Slowly moved it toward the garden. Also, Lysol in the garbage cans and Pine Sol down the sink help...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I was getting fruit flies with every bunch of bananas all summer. So I stopped buying bananas. I just picked up some to try again. I hope I don't get the darn things back.

Californiablonde

I have those darn fruit flys too. They hover around our dishes and anytime the kids leave out a cup of juice for any length of time they are all over it. I have no idea how to get rid of em.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
l have ONE dratted fruit fly living in the corner of my bedroom l have set up as an office. Who ever heard of ONE fruit fly? I am assuming it came in with the last bunch of bananas l bought, but who knows...?

flutterby

Fly away!
Windex or any type of glass cleaner. I actually use an all natural vinegar cleaner with a bit of soap in it and it worked, too. It will drop them out of mid-flight. I got fruit flies from bananas that quickly turned into an infestation - I'm talking hundreds. I started spraying them with Windex and they were completely gone within 3 days. You just have to be vigilant during that time. (difficult child found that online because everything I was trying to get rid of them wasn't working which is how we got so infested.) During that time we didn't use the garbage can in the house for anything - all trash went right outside to the curbside garbage can.

Lisa, we didn't buy bananas for months, either, for the same reason. We just bought some again on Friday.

N

Nomad

Thank you everyone.
I put vingegar in a cup with water and a little dish soap. A trap I read about on line. It did NOT work.
We had less of them this morning by the French Doors. A few alive, most dead.
Yesterday, I put outside a plant I had in the house. I read that sometimes they are hidden in plants. Don't know if this is part of the problem.
Read that one should put Ammonia (Windex???) down all the drains. I'm under the weather and can't get to the store right now to pick up the Ammonia, but I think I do have some Windex.
Our exterminator (doesn't that sound funny???) saw a bunch of dead ones last time he was here and said they like standing water or dead wood. I had some wood replaced recently and he said maybe they are trapped in the house. Also...I just removed the plant. It said on line that is often the problem. The exterminator said that filled up gutters with- lots of water can be a problem as well.
Got a question.....do you spray the actual bugs with Windex or is it for pouring down the drains or both? The exterminator said mine were definately gnats and not fruit flys. I only see them by the French Doors and one particular light in the Master Bedroom, which now I keep off. The exterminator said they are almost blind and are attracted to very bright light. They come out at night....can only see bright light and are probably hoping this is a way out of the house. ??? This has been weird and gross.

flutterby

Fly away!
I actually sprayed them wherever I saw them. They liked to hang out on the cupboards by the sink and in the sink. I poured bleach down the sink drains. The nice thing about the Windex - or other glass cleaner - is that if you see them in flight you can spray them and it brings them down. If you have gnats that are stuck in the woodwork you may need to find a way to seal the wood.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, yeah... Fill a jar with vinegar, stir in some honey, and poke holes in the lid. Worked a charm in my office!

TerryJ2

Great ideas ... and you will surely beat them down by the end of the week.

I am so sorry you've got this problem. I hate it when things fly around at night. And gnats are SO annoying.